• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: How often do you wear your tuxedo?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: I am very tempted with Tuxedo that looks perfect on me. But, I am thinking again and again. Do I need a tuxedo? I mean, I wear my suit for meeting, interview, or special occasions.

What do you guys think? Do you think it is useful? Do you think investing $400 ~ $500 on a tuxedo is worth?

Please share your thoughts.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once or twice a year

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never. I'd like to have a rationale for having Chan make me one, but it just doesn't come up.

mrjames

Reaction score
i often wear just the jacket (it's velvet), with a coloured pocket square

went to the supermarket in it earlier today...

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once or twice and yet I have 3.

SF
ffffuuuu.gif

nelly

Reaction score
Well I would say if you are going to wear it at least twice then it's worth it to buy, simply because it is financially stupid to rent a tux more than once.

I also think that once you own a tux, you will find lots of opportunities/excuses to wear it: New Years Eve, opening night for a show, evening wedding receptions, a random saturday night (if you live in a big city).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Well I would say if you are going to wear it at least twice then it's worth it to buy, simply because it is financially stupid to rent a tux more than once.

I also think that once you own a tux, you will find lots of opportunities/excuses to wear it: New Years Eve, opening night for a show, evening wedding receptions, a random saturday night (if you live in a big city).

eh.gif

__PG__

Reaction score
I last wore it to my wife's winter ball in July-August 2008. Before that it was my work championship-winning ball in December 2006.

I've got a black tie wedding in July this year.
So once every 2-3 years seems to be my frequency.

My current tuxedo was one of the first suits I ever bought. It's a double-breasted wool/polyester beast that doesn't fit me at all. I bought it over 15 years ago for University balls. Now that my wardrobe is full of high-end Italian suits and jackets that actually fit me.. I need a new dinner suit.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Liz Lemon: Why are you wearing a tux?
Jack: It's after 6 o'clock Lemon. What am I, a farmer?

This. I just about died when he said that.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Once or twice a year
This. There's a masquerade ball that my wife and I attend each year, and there is always the holiday party. I've always considered wearing them when we go to the opera, ballet, or the symphony orchestra, but you see so many ill-dressed people (in jeans, no less) that you start feeling out of place even in a suit.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last wore my tuxedo 2 years ago. The French Maids outfit on the other hand....well nevermind.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
twice or three times a year for alumni balls and charity events

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads