• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: How often do you wear your tuxedo?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda dumb question IMO...
You wear it when a tux is called for....
It will vary depending on each wearer and the enevts that they attend.
ALWAYS buy vs renting IMO.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore one at my High School prom, I knew nothing about fit then, I probably was not the only one either.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't worn mine in over a year.
frown.gif

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Kinda dumb question IMO...
You wear it when a tux is called for....
It will vary depending on each wearer and the events that they attend.
ALWAYS buy vs renting IMO.

^This.

I also like to step out on the town in a tux from time to time with no particular reason. Class is never out of fashion.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Liz Lemon: Why are you wearing a tux?
Jack: It's after 6 o'clock Lemon. What am I, a farmer?

I was about to come in here and post this. Probably my favorite quote from 30 Rock.
cheers.gif

To answer the OP's queston. I haven't at all in the past couple years. I do plan on investing in a tux sometime soon though.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least four times a year, maybe more here. Debutante balls, Mardi Gras balls, Charity events, etc.

Which really warrants me commissioning one if I do say so myself...

Flartchy

Reaction score
I'd love a tux but never have any occasion to wear one so I can't bring myself to buy one.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Two or three times a year. Need new patent oxfords, this thread reminds me.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
I'm fortunate that I play violin in an amateur orchestra, so I get to wear my vintage 90s Pierre Cardin shawl collar tuxedo at least 5 times per year performing.

I also attended a black-tie wedding last month (the first wedding I've been to other than my own in the 15 years I've been in Vancouver - not many people I know getting married).

I also attend a James Bond-themed party once a year, so wear black tie to that as well.

Fortunately, my wife agrees that it's time for a new one, so I'll probably commission a MTO peak-lapel tuxedo for the fall. Looking forward to one that will actually fit much better than the one I currently own.

I do enjoy black-tie events, so I'll try to attend more in the future if invited.

kankles

Reaction score
Mine gets decent enough use.

Wheeled out a couple of times a year for college blacktie events. Sports colours balls etc. Then on top of that a handful of blacktie 21st's over the last few years but they'd be rarer.

It's not a very expensive one, fits ok though. I'm still growing and to be honest all of the events I've worn it to have been fairly sloppy belligerent affairs. High chance of jacket theft/loss or just damage from falling over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads