• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POAL: Do you hang or fold you dress shirts?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were a big timer with a lofty mansion and estate, I would have probably at least 800 sq ft for my wardrobe room. Only then could I afford the cabinets and space to fold and store them all and have room for my other clothes. Since I am only a wanna-be, I hang my dress shirts.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
If I were a big timer with a lofty mansion and estate, I would have probably at least 800 sq ft for my wardrobe room. Only then could I afford the cabinets and space to fold and store them all and have room for my other clothes. Since I am only a wanna-be, I hang my dress shirts.
+1 My closet is much too small.

Mac

Reaction score
"You may think that by folding your shirts you're putting more creases in, but actually, the important thing to remember is that they're folds and not creases."

Wait, what?!
plain.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
"You may think that by folding your shirts you're putting more creases in, but actually, the important thing to remember is that they're folds and not creases." Wait, what?!
plain.gif

I think he is trying to differentiate the random accidental creasing from the neat purposeful creasing - you know the kind that "folded up shirt Appreciation" thread people love so much. I guess it is a bit like those people (including me) who like to have sleeve creases made when ironing their shirts. I cannot stand the creases of a new shirt straight out of the packaging though.

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I think he is trying to differentiate the random accidental creasing from the neat purposeful creasing - you know the kind that "folded up shirt Appreciation" thread people love so much.

I guess it is a bit like those people (including me) who like to have sleeve creases made when ironing their shirts.

I cannot stand the creases of a new shirt straight out of the packaging though.

Having a shirt sleeve crease is a little different from having the front panels of your shirts have huge "folds" in them. I also hate the french cuff folds new shirts have.

FrankNine

Reaction score
All shirts either smart or casual should be hanged up, I would hang all my t-shirts too if I had room in my wardrobe
tinfoil.gif

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
"You may think that by folding your shirts you're putting more creases in, but actually, the important thing to remember is that they're folds and not creases."

Wait, what?!
plain.gif

Yeah, this makes no sense. Doesn't matter if it's a fold or a crease. If you walk around with huge folds across the front of your shirt, you're going to look like an idiot that just pulled a new shirt out of a package and didn't iron it before you put it on.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hang!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in Manhattan, with more drawer (or shelf) space than hanging space, my shirts are folded by the shirt laundry - folds/creases be damned . . .

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

That is larger than my house. Not to say I don't desire a walk-in that large...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a pretty large closet room, probably with enough space to fold my shirts if needed, but no way would i like that. I MUCH prefer having them hung up.

JGloger

Reaction score
Hang. The way I see it, if I fold them I'd have to iron before each wearing. With my limited hanging space, they get packed together and I still have to iron before wearing. The hanging allows for a greater visibility of my options in the morning, however.

I think that if I had enough space to fold and have them all displayed nicely I would choose that option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads