1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Please help me lose 20 lbs

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by sho'nuff, Oct 20, 2009.

1. noel_esq.

noel_esq. Well-Known Member

You could do an EC stack, ephedra and caffeine pills. Works great and cheap.

2. Spicemeister

Spicemeister Member

I recommend reading Rusty's blog , it's well written interesting and he knows how to get you motivated.

3. ChrisLiu

ChrisLiu Member

Hell I use to weight 205, maybe 210 at my height. Now I weigh around 177. What happened to me started with a bout of tonsillitis. It was not pleasant I did not eat for about a week because I could not swallow. 20 pounds gone in a week, a lot of muscle also but I feel my stomach permanently shrunk after that... After that I signed up for Kickboxing class, I started this in April, I lost close to 25 pounds in about 4 months doing it. I go for a 1 hour class every Mon/Wed and Fridays I hit the bag I have at home for about 45 min and add a little pyrotechnics. I dont eat healthy but I am careful of what I eat. No rice if you dont cardio/lift prior to eating, no fried foods, no bread. Thats about it, drink water when you are bored. If you get the munchies take a few spoons of cottage cheese, or some cashew nuts. Air popped popcorn is great for a after dinner snack. Eat fruits when you get that thirsty/hungry/snacky kind of feeling.

4. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

that's fucked up,22 lbs in 3 weeks?How many pounds were you?

Nah, I lost about 20lbs in 2 weeks on South Beach. All those carbs just melt off. I was about 30 lbs overweight and am currently about 15 lbs overweight.

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

6. yayorc

yayorc Well-Known Member

its the slow, steady weight loss and muscle gain that sticks with you though.

And to whomever said cardio doesnt help - it probably does not help much in weight loss, but it helps a ton in weight maintenance, and its best to learn those habits early on. Stay active and do something to work up a sweat for at least 30 minutes a day. It keeps your heart and mind healthy.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

it's please help me lose 17 pounds now.

8. ss10guy3

ss10guy3 Well-Known Member

Try drinking a gallon of water a day. It can be unpleasant at first, but it keeps you busy, is good for your body, and can help curb the hunger. After that, switch out the carbs you eat with your meals for vegetables. A little bit of walking, and you'll be there.

9. dalej

dalej Well-Known Member

get a new girlfriend or if married a side dish, always help me stay motivated to stay in shape.

10. sho'nuff

get a new girlfriend or if married a side dish, always help me stay motivated to stay in shape.

nah. i'll stick to my wife.

update. well, i started this thread around sometime before thanksgiving 09. i did join a gym at that time and did lose up to another 4 pounds to about 191 , but then immediately after thanksgiving and through january, my schedule was jam packed. and was so tired when i wasnt. no excuse, but i dropped the gym membership. ballooned back up to 200 pounds at right around april tax time.
    but then i got fed up and then i enrolled in my company's wellness program and im doing two things:
    joined a team (walk challenge) each one of us has a pedometer and we all need to put in 20,000 steps per day. (it is alot i tell you). i need to keep myself accountable as others are depending on me so i cant go lazy or make an excuse like last time.

the thing is, ive learned a fantastic way to do walking. jogging-in-place at home. jog in place and with 5 pound weights in each hand with a striding motion to tone shoulders,chest,lat and supporting muscles in midsection. hopefullly i can go to 10 pounders but i cant sustain that for more than 15 minutes. i can go a whole 1 hour with 5 pounders. i break into a good sweat.

this is so great, because i always thought i either had to drive to a gym, or go walking outside in the dark after work. my wife feels stressful when i go walk outside in the dark so i dont do that often anymore, but this is a great solution. to jog in place. try it it works wonders for me now for 1 month.

it's something i can do.

so far after 1 month, i have dropped 5 pounds and am now down to 195 (perhaps even less). i can wear my old tshirts and polos again, and starting to wear some of the older pants i couldnt wear.
    second, i am learning a new philosophy on food. eat to get nutrition. eat to sate your hunger. not appetite. learn to control the thought of that most 'appetite' is in the eyes and in the mouth. learn to master these two body parts.

i am eating a new way, no new foods or a drastic diet or anything, but eating the same things i eat at work and home but with smaller bites. i take a smaller scoop or with my chopstick pick up smaller bits and pieces and learn to enjoy the process of each bite. instead of just shoveling in food in my mouth all the time. i take a dinner that my wife hands me and learn to eat each bite with a thought. it was hard at first, but now i am making it hopefully a habit. i learn to be able to be through with eating after one portion.

i plan to be down to 189 or high 180s by end of the walk challenge. i will be immediately enrolling in another one right after it for the next quarter.
    and perhaps one day i can start running again, and then enroll in our company's triathalon challenge (for advanced employees and members) . thanks.

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^^ Keep up the good work and you'll be at your target weight in no time!

12. BDC2823

BDC2823 Well-Known Member

Keep it up Sho'Nuff. Sounds like you've found a routine and what works for you. I've put together my own routine over the past couple months and am down to 179 (this morning) from a high of 195.

13. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

cut out carbs completely from your diet.
    eat less meat change most of meat or carb consumption with light fruits and vegetables.

Translation:
    cut out carbs completely from your diet.
    replace meat and carbs with carbs.

OK, so I'm 8 months late.

e: But seriously, I've seen a ton of people do amazing things on low-carb ketogenic diets.

14. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Well-Known Member

Do aminoacids from Beverly Amino Tank, american brand.

That will you do loose weight while actually have harder muscles.

15. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

nah. i'll stick to my wife.

update. well, i started this thread around sometime before thanksgiving 09. i did join a gym at that time and did lose up to another 4 pounds to about 191 , but then immediately after thanksgiving and through january, my schedule was jam packed. and was so tired when i wasnt. no excuse, but i dropped the gym membership. ballooned back up to 200 pounds at right around april tax time.
    but then i got fed up and then i enrolled in my company's wellness program and im doing two things:
    joined a team (walk challenge) each one of us has a pedometer and we all need to put in 20,000 steps per day. (it is alot i tell you). i need to keep myself accountable as others are depending on me so i cant go lazy or make an excuse like last time.

the thing is, ive learned a fantastic way to do walking. jogging-in-place at home. jog in place and with 5 pound weights in each hand with a striding motion to tone shoulders,chest,lat and supporting muscles in midsection. hopefullly i can go to 10 pounders but i cant sustain that for more than 15 minutes. i can go a whole 1 hour with 5 pounders. i break into a good sweat.

this is so great, because i always thought i either had to drive to a gym, or go walking outside in the dark after work. my wife feels stressful when i go walk outside in the dark so i dont do that often anymore, but this is a great solution. to jog in place. try it it works wonders for me now for 1 month.

it's something i can do.

i'm not sure if this has been said before, but i think you need to start counting calories. It's the only way to be sure that you're going to lose weight.

If you're doing those walks, then it's pretty easy to calculate the amount of calories you're burning. So then you just have to make sure you're eating 500 calories less than the amount you're walking + your resting metabolic rate for the day.

there's plenty of internet calculators out there.

if you want to lose weight, you're going to have to feel hungry from time to time. If you ate to not feel hungry, that'd maintain the weight you're at right now.

16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Keep it up Sho'Nuff. Sounds like you've found a routine and what works for you. I've put together my own routine over the past couple months and am down to 179 (this morning) from a high of 195.

Nice going!

One of the things I've done when I find myself reaching for snacks in the office is that I tend to get myself out of the office for a while and do something. Run errands, that sort of thing. I get hungry for a while, and then it passes as I do other things. Come back for a late lunch, and I'm good without going overboard.

17. sho'nuff

^^^ Keep up the good work and you'll be at your target weight in no time!

thanks guys ! nice, i am trying to get down to around 178-179 ( i dont want to be associated with "180" or above) from 195!! we are brothers!!

anyways im still doing the walking thing and running in place.
    the key now is that my philosophy on eating is totally changed and even in the last 1.5 months i dont feel like im holding back on anything or feel like relapsing because i dont feel like im dieting.
    im just eating sensibly. picking at my food and eating slowly enjoying each bite. it slows down my eat frequency and amount eaten. i dont care for a whole ice cream, i just want a taste now. i dont care for a whole bag or a whole pizza for snack, just a slice or a few chips for taste now.
    it is about knowing that eating is not the revolve of life, but eating is just a 'facet' of life.

18. BDC2823

Nice going!

One of the things I've done when I find myself reaching for snacks in the office is that I tend to get myself out of the office for a while and do something. Run errands, that sort of thing. I get hungry for a while, and then it passes as I do other things. Come back for a late lunch, and I'm good without going overboard.

I've been somewhat doing the same thing. I have never really eaten breakfast but used to get hungry a few days a week before lunch and wander over to the local liquor store and pick up a snack. Nothing there was healthy and I'd end up with a bag of chips. I changed that by keeping canned sardines at my desk, so now that is my go to breakfast (a can of sardines in the morning...the small 135 calorie ones)

thanks guys ! nice, i am trying to get down to around 178-179 ( i dont want to be associated with "180" or above) from 195!! we are brothers!!

anyways im still doing the walking thing and running in place.
    the key now is that my philosophy on eating is totally changed and even in the last 1.5 months i dont feel like im holding back on anything or feel like relapsing because i dont feel like im dieting.
    im just eating sensibly. picking at my food and eating slowly enjoying each bite. it slows down my eat frequency and amount eaten. i dont care for a whole ice cream, i just want a taste now. i dont care for a whole bag or a whole pizza for snack, just a slice or a few chips for taste now.
    it is about knowing that eating is not the revolve of life, but eating is just a 'facet' of life.

Noice. Keep up the good work. What I found to be pretty fun as well is biking. This past Saturday I woke up early (so I could watch the Nigeria-Argentina game when I got there) and biked from Tustin to Costa Mesa. I took Redhill (turns into Santa Ana) all the way from Tustin to 19th Street in Costa Mesa. It was about 12 miles and took exactly an hour. After the game, my friend and I went from his house down to Sharkees in Newport (Newport Pier) to watch the US-England game). We did the same biking around Newport thing on Sunday. It's really fun. Good exercise, great weather, can stop off at a bar or two or the beach, and good looking women all around. Highly recommended.

19. sho'nuff

Noice. Keep up the good work. What I found to be pretty fun as well is biking. This past Saturday I woke up early (so I could watch the Nigeria-Argentina game when I got there) and biked from Tustin to Costa Mesa. I took Redhill (turns into Santa Ana) all the way from Tustin to 19th Street in Costa Mesa. It was about 12 miles and took exactly an hour. After the game, my friend and I went from his house down to Sharkees in Newport (Newport Pier) to watch the US-England game). We did the same biking around Newport thing on Sunday. It's really fun. Good exercise, great weather, can stop off at a bar or two or the beach, and good looking women all around. Highly recommended.

you stop by at a bar and drink? then you add the cals back into you that you burned off in the ride. and do you go there riding a bike in your ocbd and pants? or just go biking in your nike golf shirt and go to the bar sweaty?

20. BDC2823

you stop by at a bar and drink? then you add the cals back into you that you burned off in the ride. and do you go there riding a bike in your ocbd and pants? or just go biking in your nike golf shirt and go to the bar sweaty?

It's the weekend so It's either my planned day of not working out, I already worked out before, or in the case of Saturday, it was before I was going to play in a softball tourney that day and night. So it's not in place of my workout routine. Why would I ride around the beach in an ocbd and pants? Are you stupid? It's cruising around the beach so I wore board shorts, flip flops, and an under armor sleeveless dry fit shirt (oh the horror). I'm not saying that this should be your workout. Just that it is a fun way to spend a day and offers more exercise than eating bon bons and watching tv.

You're really not that sweaty from cruising around the beach. I changed out of the shirt I wore from Tustin to Costa Mesa at my friends house before going to the beach.