• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me lose 20 lbs

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid white and processed foods. Minimize white sugar, white flour and white rice. They all wreak havoc on your system because your body treats them all exactly the same.

Don't drink diet soda like water thinking that it's not affecting your weight and health. It is. Your body is deceived by chemical sweeteners and they affect your insulin levels. They're also bad for the kidneys.

Try to eat smaller meals with a snack in between. (By snack I mean like 10 raw cashews and a few baby carrots)

Weight is a blood sugar thing as much as an eating-too-much thing.

I used to lift weights and do gym cardio. Since I switched to vinyasa yoga and clean food, my suit size went from a 44/46R to a 40R. My waist size from 36 to 32.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
My really really easy lunch is: whole wheat bagel can of tuna extra-virgin olive oil balsamic or red-wine vinegar here's the kicker - I can keep everything at the office, so let's say Monday I hit the grocery store, pick up a six-pack of wheat bagels, some cans of tuna, and a medium bottle of evoo and vinegar. Nothing needs refrigeration, all you really need is a can opener, and you're set. Add some natural peanut butter (also can keep at the office) and an apple and you're good. Or a cup of yogurt. Or - last week I baked (whole-wheat) muffins and those were a good mid-morning snack between breakfast and late lunch. Bag, grab, and go.
I think I am going to go to the market this weekend and do the same thing. I have a mini fridge to myself as well that I don't use much and an electric kettle if I need hot water (I use it for tea). I will see how it goes and will hopefully make my lunch choices much healthier. Edit: The kicker for me is that I must remain focused at the store. I like trying new things and eating foods off the beaten path. Last time I tried this I went to the 99 Ranch Market and ended up with a large piece of octopus, jellyfish salad, and peanuts with dried silverfish.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Avoid white and processed foods. Minimize white sugar, white flour and white rice. They all wreak havoc on your system because your body treats them all exactly the same.

Don't drink diet soda like water thinking that it's not affecting your weight and health. It is. Your body is deceived by chemical sweeteners and they affect your insulin levels. They're also bad for the kidneys.

Try to eat smaller meals with a snack in between. (By snack I mean like 10 raw cashews and a few baby carrots)

Weight is a blood sugar thing as much as an eating-too-much thing.

I used to lift weights and do gym cardio. Since I switched to vinyasa yoga and clean food, my suit size went from a 44/46R to a 40R. My waist size from 36 to 32.

very nice

can you work up a big sweat doing yoga like you can on the treadmill or stairmaster?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
very nice

can you work up a big sweat doing yoga like you can on the treadmill or stairmaster?

You have no damn idea. I was close to death my first time doing bikram yoga.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
You have no damn idea. I was close to death my first time doing bikram yoga.

That's the heated-room yoga, right? Jeez.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the heated-room yoga, right? Jeez.

Yeah. It was heated to 105 degrees. So it was hot!! About a quarter of the way through the instructor says, "It's kinda cold, are you guys cold? I'm going to go turn up the heat". Many people replied, "Yes it's too cold". Myself, well I was in no position to make an attempt to speak.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A huge number of people slowly gain weight at a rate of about 1 to 3 lbs a year, every year. After 10 years of this you're possibly looking at an extra 30 lbs! Obviously this is due to a slight calorie excess, not a massive one. Thus, the amount of calorie reduction per day required to slowly reverse the trend incredibly minimal. Some ideas that I've seen work....

1. Replace all high calorie drinks with water. This includes soda pop, coffee drinks with stuff added to them, alcohol, and fruit juice. It is estimated that 10% of all calories consumed in the US are from soda pop alone! And diet soda is not an option because the artificial sweeteners used in these drinks have been shown to stimulate hunger more than regular sugar soda!

2. Stop eating at fast food and at greasy "sit down" chains. Cook the majority of your meals at home. Going out to eat should be treated as a special event, rather than a cheap source of daily food. Try going out less often and when you do go out, spend more more money at a nice place that provides you with a memorable meal.

Most people will start slowly loosing weight if they do the above. No fad diets, special trainers, exercise equipment, or calorie counting required. It only takes a small amount of self discipline to do, but most people are so impatient (wanting instant results-- e.g. loose 20 lbs in a month) and lazy that they cannot pull it off. I don't have much sympathy.

The commercial diet industry is a joke. These companies benefit from encouraging a yo-yo weight scheme. They promote loosing tons of weight quickly, which is not generally long lasting. Everyone I know who's signed on actually does loose the weight, but several years later they are even fatter. They then sign up again because they remember how well it worked for them the last time. A good business model has repeat customers.

Corniche

Reaction score
For loosing weight I recommend aminoacids.

Amino Whey by beverly helps you mantain your muscle without gaining fat and totally natural.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. It was heated to 105 degrees. So it was hot!! About a quarter of the way through the instructor says, "It's kinda cold, are you guys cold? I'm going to go turn up the heat". Many people replied, "Yes it's too cold". Myself, well I was in no position to make an attempt to speak.

you paid to do this? I get the same when I mow the lawn in the summer.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Edit: The kicker for me is that I must remain focused at the store. I like trying new things and eating foods off the beaten path. Last time I tried this I went to the 99 Ranch Market and ended up with a large piece of octopus, jellyfish salad, and peanuts with dried silverfish.

One tip I have adopted and proposed is this -- never, ever drive to the grocery store. If you have to carry everything home, you'll skip all beverages (no soda, no beer, no juice) and bulky stuff (e.g., chips), and you'll tend to get what you need and came for only. Yeah, there's still opportunity to buy junk, but it'll be small like a cookie or candy bar.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you mow your own lawn?? i cant believe i have been talking and listening to a small-timer all of this time. i shun you.

Shun me if you like, but it helps keep me skinny.

esq

Reaction score
Completely avoid carbohydrates. Eat less, but eat right. Losing weight is at least 85% diet. Working out is good but diet is the ultimate key. This is a fact. Good luck.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you paid to do this? I get the same when I mow the lawn in the summer.

I don't live in Hoostun. But golfing this summer in 110 degree heat in Palm Springs was much more enjoyable.

Originally Posted by mr. magoo
One tip I have adopted and proposed is this -- never, ever drive to the grocery store. If you have to carry everything home, you'll skip all beverages (no soda, no beer, no juice) and bulky stuff (e.g., chips), and you'll tend to get what you need and came for only. Yeah, there's still opportunity to buy junk, but it'll be small like a cookie or candy bar.

I'm actually pretty good at the grocery store. I'm a huge fan of meat and seafood so I always get that, but I stick to the produce section and don't really ever get junk like sweats or chips. Never get any frozen foods unless its frozen veggies or fruits. In fact, I think I bought a Snickers bar 2 months ago on the golf course and can't remember the last time that I bought any sort of candy before that. But I do grab a 12 pack of beer. It's my kryptonite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads