• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Performers you wish you had seen in concert

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got to +1 all the nostalgia for old Misha. Check out this performance with him and Patrick Bissell in "Don Quixote"...I mean, Bissell is no amateur, but Misha literally blows him out of the water.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've got to +1 all the nostalgia for old Misha. Check out this performance with him and Patrick Bissell in "Don Quixote"...I mean, Bissell is no amateur, but Misha literally blows him out of the water.

Seeing that clip just reminded me of the palpable stage presence and electricity that almost overwhlemed me the first couple of times I played with him--you just can't take your eyes off of him for a second.

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
led zeppelin in their prime

Re-watched "The Song Remains the Same" for about the millionth time last night--the interplay between Page/Plant in the "Whole Lotta Love" vamps still completely blow me away.

koji

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Thanks VR. I saw Misha once with NYCB in the late 70s and at least a dozen times between 1980-1988 with ABT. Watching him dance with Gelsey Kirkland was incredible.

Do you know how fortunate you're? Kirkland/Baryshnikov and Makarova/Baryshnikov are probably 2 of most legendary partnerings (along with Fonteyn/Nureyev) in Western history. The Theme & Variations he did with Kirkland I saw on tape was just beyond description.

Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I recently saw a video of him dancing the male variation from Giselle Act 2's pas de deux, and I can only imagine what it was like for that audience. As he went up to do the double front cabrioles in the beginning, the entire audience gasped, and then as some started to clap, he did the second one, and they gasped again, and some started to applaud only because they didn't seem to know what to do next: they sounded stunned. Talking to people who were at that performance, it sounded as if the video barely hinted at the extraordinary occasion.

--Andre

Are you talking about the one with Makarova? God, that performance was literally out of this world.

That Don Q is one of my favorite in my DVD collection. I have to say he did pretty okay right next to Misha. He had so much ahead of him, so sad, what a waste of tremendous talent.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Seeing that clip just reminded me of the palpable stage presence and electricity that almost overwhlemed me the first couple of times I played with him--you just can't take your eyes off of him for a second.

koji

Wait, wait, wait---you freakin' played with Baryshnikov?!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By far my number one choice would be to see the The Wailers (Bob, Peter & Bunny) in Jamaica in 1973 right after the release of Catch a Fire and Burnin'.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait---you freakin' played with Baryshnikov?!

[bio fragment]
Also active in chamber music, Mr. Attwood has performed with members of the Borromeo and St. Lawrence string quartets, and is a regular collaborator with Mikhail Baryshnikov. He performed with the dancer's White Oak Dance Project and provided music for Mr. Baryshnikov's 2002-2003 solo tour of the U.S. He completed a fourteen-city coast-to-coast tour with Mr. Baryshnikov, with sold-out performances at the Boston Grand Ballet's Grand Studio. The programs, entitled "Solos with Piano...or Not...an Evening of Music and Dance with Mikhail Baryshnikov and Pianist Koji Attwood," began in the summer of 2002 and were performed to benefit the Baryshnikov Arts Center, which opened in the fall of 2005. The tour featured new works choreographed for Mr. Baryshnikov by Cesc Gelabert, Tere O'Connor, Lucinda Childs, and Eliot Feld to the music of Cage, Jaggard, Nancarrow, Berg, and Leon Redbone; Mr. Attwood provided solo interludes and accompaniment for the dances, garnering tremendous critical praise. Nevada-Events remarked that he is "a pianist of rare gifts, both as a solo artist and as a collaborator. Playing solo pieces of Scriabin, Scarlatti, Liszt and Soler, this young pianist was much more than fill. He is a concert pianist with an impeccable technique, a rich tone, and an assured sense of good interpretive taste." The Minneapolis Star-Tribune said he "percolate[d] rapturously... [Baryshnikov and Attwood] displayed lovely chemistry in a performance full of virtuosity, and humor, whimsy and seriousness. Their coordination was so tight that it sometimes seemed as though the dancer's limbs were attached to the musician's notes."

I've been incredibly fortunate to have played with many great musicians, but I can say without any reservation that Misha has been the greatest artist that I've had the privilege, honour and pleasure to work and perform with.

koji

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is a bit of fun trivia: What was the name of the Baryshnikov's troupe dancer who played German terrorist in the original DieHard with Bruce Willis?
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
He is a bit of fun trivia: What was the name of the Baryshnikov's troupe dancer who played German terrorist in the original DieHard with Bruce Willis?
smile.gif

Alexander Gudanov

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Alexander Gudanov

Godunov just like Boris Godunov.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Godunov just like Boris Godunov.

Close enough
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads