• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Performers you wish you had seen in concert

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joy Division
Sex Pistols
The Clash
Television
Pink Floyd with Waters
Beach Boys with Brian Wilson
Skynyrd
Derek and the Dominoes with Duane Allman
The Ink Spots
The Replacements
Husker Du
Kraftwerk with Karl Bartos

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've read that the last living castrato wasn't a very good castrato in terms of voice. The best ones had, even at that time, already passed on.

I would have liked to seen Oscar Wilde's American lectures.

One of the last castrato was in fact recorded, and he was a very mediocre singer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a recent special on TV for Jerry Lee Lewis. It certainly lacked everything that the Star Club performance was about.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
led zeppelin in their prime
Prince in a small nightclub (there was a secret Prince aftershow that was supposed to happen in a little club in Dallas about 5 years ago - I got the word and waited outside the club in the freezing cold with 100 other people for 2 hours. at 3 am we finally got the word that he had laryngitis and it was off. That was an all time let-down.)
Hendrix
Coltrane
Monk
Caruso

I can't believe I never drove up to Bakersflield to see Buck Owens - my friends and I were talking about it for the last 3 or 4 years, then he up a dies on us.

Last year at Coachella I got into a long debate with some friends about which band would be the ultimate Coachella headliner. The Clash was an obvious choice, and probably all of our first choice to see, but we limited it to bands where everyone was alive it was actually possible. We decided that The Smiths had to be it. Nothing would be better, and nothing would draw a bigger crowd.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Limiting this to opportunities that I actually had

Midnight Oil
AC/DC led by Bon Scott
Easybeats

In San Diego, I unaccountably decided not to invest $35 to see the Cure, backed by Interpol, backed by The Killers.

But my biggest regret was a week in the early '80s where Melbourne played host to four up and coming bands. There were two gigs to choose from: Talking Heads backed by U2, and Simple Minds backed by The Pretenders. How could I not have gone?????

(BTW, there would have been some chemistry at the latter gig - it was where Jim Kerr and Chrissie Hynde got together).

nioh

Reaction score
Jussi Björling
Jeff Buckley
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
The Rat Pack
Miles Davis
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Jacob Miller
Nirvana
Various Classic Composers.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. S. Bach (improvising on a pipe organ as he would test its "lungs")

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury-Listen to Play the Game where he battles the guitarist for high notes, Mercury's command of voice was off the charts.
Ella Fitzgerald in her youth and middle age
Billie Holliday
Sly and the Family Stone,(even now, since Sly has returned to us from hermitdom) his sisters Rose and Vaetta have some pipes!
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Robert Johnson
The Funk Brothers
Staple Singers
Al Green pre-disco era
Chic-disco era
Funkadelic in 70's
Bernie Worrell
Roger Troutman one more time
Phyllis Hyman
Donnie Hathaway
Julie London-"Goody,Goody"
saw the OHIO Players at the '04 CBC afterparty. Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner can still interpret like few others and the voice can still "OWW"!
Mahalia Jackson

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Performers I wish I'd seen, not strictly bands:

Jimmy Scott
Locations:The Apollo or Swing Street in their heyday
Doors
Kerouac or Bukowski at a poetry reading
More Martha Graham!
The Dadaists at Cabaret Voltaire
More Stevie Ray Vaughn!
I still want to work on a Christo project!
Juan Belmonte
Rat Pack
a few notable women from Russ Meyer films

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
led zeppelin in their prime

Exactly how I would put it; my first answer to this question hasn't changed since I was 12...

And Doc, ultimately you're right re: Iggy. His stage presence at 60 will still blow away kids a third of his age...

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duane Allman/Berry Oakley & The Allman Bros.
The Beatles
The Who
Miles Davis
Dusty Springfield

Actually saw Zeppelin in their prime...the Physical Graffiti tour. Simply amazing.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In '89 I spent a few months in San Diego. Some band I had heard of called Nirvana was playing in Tijuana. I couldn't find anyone to go with and chickened out because the people I was staying with said Tijuana was no place for a young Canadian boy to be hanging out alone.
blush.gif

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the libertines
the clash
joy division
biggie
the dead boys... my dad used to tell me stories of thier singer hanging himself on stage with his mic cord

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads