• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Smith denim

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I was in the local denim bar and one of the dudes that works there told me that they were going to be getting some Paul smith jeans in. He also said that the rep for paul smith told him that the denim was made from old levis looms. Anyone seen these jeans and is there any validity to the claim of the old levis looms. I know other brands have claimed this, but I believe the concensus was that this is a tall tail. Also, the rep claimed the denim and construction of these surpassed 45rpm jeans. What y'all make of this?

minya

Reaction score
Levis never owned any looms. This is a horseshit claim trotted out by Prps among others.

there's also no chance in hell that Paul Smith jeans will be outdoing 45RPM jeans.

parachutes

Reaction score
it depends on what they deem to surpass the 45RPM on. 45 doesnt have much in terms of bleached/distressed models like paul smith does. from the impression that i got looking at the jeans and red ear collection available here, i doubt they would surpass 45 in terms of fabric&dye.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've seen the Paul Smith red ear 'rainbow selvage' one rinse jean which is their highest end denim. It's pretty damn nice, typical 501 fit and seems to be well made, but I don't know if it's better than 45rpm. The price is up there in the stratospheric range, at about $550

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I do believe that the rainbow selvage is what he was talking about. I am just really getting fed up with the Levis looms myth. I know this has been discussed ad infinitum, but I thought cone mills made the levis denim. Wouldn't cone mills have the looms and why would they sell them and why would they sell them to Paul Smith. Can't these fools be sued for false advertisement? Isn't starting rumors, that are false, a form of advertisement?

Get Smart... where did you see those jeans. LA area?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
Get Smart... where did you see those jeans. LA area?

yes, at my pink palace of goodness, the PS store on melrose. They have the full range of PS denim, including the one rinse $550 rainbow selvage. I dont think the PS rep was saying they own the Cone mills looms, just that they used denim woven on said looms. (and isnt the current story that Cone Mills still has all those looms in NC, not in Japan as previously reported?)

Roland

Reaction score
Yeah, PS Red Ear and 45 RPM are really similar. Don't buy the line about Red Ear having better denim, but in terms of other garments, they're equal. I bought a Red Ear Sweatshirt at their recent NYC sale.

Anyone know whats the deal with some Red Ear items being made in Hong Kong? I thought the whole line was made in Japan.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland
Yeah, PS Red Ear and 45 RPM are really similar. Don't buy the line about Red Ear having better denim, but in terms of other garments, they're equal. I bought a Red Ear Sweatshirt at their recent NYC sale.

So you think so too, huh? Mauro (DENIMBAR) thinks really highly of Red Ear as well, but I have honestly never been that impressed by the denim, construction, or washes, especially at the prices. I've atually passed up a couple of pair at 70% off. R45RPM, on the other hand, blew my mind first time I saw it. I guess that I'll have to take a closer look at Red Ear next time...

minya

Reaction score
isn't Red Ear made in China? Or is that just the mainline Paul Smith denim?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
So you think so too, huh? Mauro (DENIMBAR) thinks really highly of Red Ear as well, but I have honestly never been that impressed by the denim, construction, or washes, especially at the prices. I've atually passed up a couple of pair at 70% off. R45RPM, on the other hand, blew my mind first time I saw it. I guess that I'll have to take a closer look at Red Ear next time...

I saw a pair once and frankly, there might be a difference between this and 45RPM but just like with uber-expensive wine this is where my denim knowledge end, both seem like amazing jeans in their own right.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
isn't Red Ear made in China? Or is that just the mainline Paul Smith denim?

all the Red Ear denim is made in China, except the rainbow selvage which is made in Japan.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

the normal Red Ear jeans arent anything special, esp at the 150-200 pricerange. The Japanese made "rainbow selvage" model is a lot better, and I'd feel better spending $550 on that, than $200 on the Chinese made Red Ears. Not that I'd spend $550 on a pair of jeans. Even if it does come from my pink palace of goodness.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
the normal Red Ear jeans arent anything special, esp at the 150-200 pricerange. The Japanese made "rainbow selvage" model is a lot better, and I'd feel better spending $550 on that, than $200 on the Chinese made Red Ears. Not that I'd spend $550 on a pair of jeans. Even if it does come from my pink palace of goodness.

Thanks for both the correction and the clarification. I thought that I was going crazy for a while, trying to figure out what was so special about Red Ear jeans, and how I'd dropped the ball on that one. Yeah, $550 is crazy money. Not that I would say no to crazy money, if anyone offered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads