• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pant Hem Gaping at Side

kylepw

Reaction score
I had some trousers shortened, but maybe a little too much? The outer seam doesn't fall on the shoe but away from it. What's the problem and how could this be fixed?

Front

Side

Original Length

HughJ

Reaction score
Too much, but I think it is the taper that is causing your complaint. They are also on the tight side up top (as evidenced by the flared pockets and probably those wrinkles).

kylepw

Reaction score
Any idea on solution? I thought it was the taper, too, but in the original length, they fell on the shoe and didn't flare.

If lengthening is the solution, how much do you think I should lengthen it?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Main cause on the right leg is that your right hip is higher and bigger. It pulls the trouser up along the out seam. Add this, inseams are distorted and stretched making the outseam short and pulling out. Trousers need a good press.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the tailor left enough room to fix that awful job. Also, you need to let out the waist significantly...I see heavy pulling, and others have mentioned the pocket flare.

kylepw

Reaction score
Would letting out the outer seam along the hip/upper thigh do the trick?

JDMills

Reaction score
You're flooding, it's cause your pants are too short, they actually looked better before, probably only needed a half inch off the hem. And opening the side seams will only open the hip, probably not a lot, you'd need to open the back seam up and get some room in the waist.

kylepw

Reaction score
Thanks, JDMillis. I had the hem lengthened and looks a lot better now. Right now, I’m also having the hips taken out. From what I saw, there was a little over 1/2 inch available on each outer seam. Do you think this would be enough?

I guess if it fails, I’ll have to take out the back seam. When you say, “waist,” do you mean the general waist/hip area or the top waist band? The waist band fits perfect and on par with my other trousers, so I was curious.

JDMills

Reaction score
If its fine in the waist then they might have to let out the seat, I dont know how much of that is possible youd have to talk to your tailor, pant side seams usually arent cut to be let out a huge amount, it really just looks like you have big hips/thighs and theyre snug in that area, your tailor would know more about how to fix the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads