• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OneTrouser

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
When it comes down to it, the OneShoe isn't an absolute OneShoe--it's really the concept and approach behind it that distinguishes.

And of course, because
foo.gif
came up with it.

I'm thinking of doing the OneBoxer. Literally, one. Should be good for a 7-day cycle, particularly in the cooler weather.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it's in the OneSpirit. The point is to get away from collecting clothes and get closer to thinking about clothes that you look good in and feel comfortable with. When it comes down to it, the OneShoe isn't an absolute OneShoe--it's really the concept and approach behind it that distinguishes.
agree with mafoo, and I'm trying to do something similar. once I find a pair of flannels I like, I will just buy a couple pairs of them in perhaps 2 colors each. done and done. part of it is that I just want LESS stuff, part of it is that's a much easier way to live. but I still want to look good. none of these are contradictory to each other

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and first to guess the exact cloth wins a prize.

Ahhhh... Winter: Dormeuil 15.5 whipcord from the Casuals book? Lightish mid grey?

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have a new OneTrouser planned. Five pairs. Same cloth, same color. That is all.

But seriously, it will look as though you are wearing the same pair of trousers every day. This will gross people out.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it's in the OneSpirit. The point is to get away from collecting clothes and get closer to thinking about clothes that you look good in and feel comfortable with. When it comes down to it, the OneShoe isn't an absolute OneShoe--it's really the concept and approach behind it that distinguishes.

I have always really loved this idea/spirit behind the one shoe, and really behind the general thoughtfulness of your wardrobe expansion. It's just the execution that kills me. I think you do shoes (and perhaps even trousers) a disservice when you don't branch out and enjoy a bit of variety. Of course I know we disagree on this point so please continue with your medium gray flannel onetrouser.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
But seriously, it will look as though you are wearing the same pair of trousers every day. This will gross people out.
If it does, he could argue with them and change their minds through dialectic. Well...monolectic. The key point is that the situation could serve as the basis of intellectual combat and a test of wills.

Diavolo

Reaction score

Yes, that expresses it perfectly. Of course I don't have six identical navy suits, blue shirts, blue ties or black shoes.
The point for me is that while I wear something different every day, the items are all within a specific subdued range and I probably look more or less the same most days to my colleagues.
I'm no James Bond or Cary Grant but people rave about their dress sense - yet if you look at them they rarely ventured beyond solids, mostly in blue and grey.
For me it's more about the quality of the materials and the cut and fit than about lots of different colours.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
Yes, that expresses it perfectly. Of course I don't have six identical navy suits, blue shirts, blue ties or black shoes.
The point for me is that while I wear something different every day, the items are all within a specific subdued range and I probably look more or less the same most days to my colleagues.
I'm no James Bond or Cary Grant but people rave about their dress sense - yet if you look at them they rarely ventured beyond solids, mostly in blue and grey.
For me it's more about the quality of the materials and the cut and fit than about lots of different colours.

I have fourteen or so solid navy odd jackets, but in different fabrics and several buttoning styles.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~2-3 cm around the waist. They still button, but uncomfortably.

Serious question, is there no place left in NYC to have pants sponged and pressed? I thought that in such a great city there would be a few places left? Also, is 2-3 centimeters really that much that they don't fit? They must have been pretty tight in the waist to begin with, no?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Almost none of this can be considered oneanything You have 4 sport coats for winter? How can it be a onesportcoat? HOw can you have a onetie if there are solids and patterns in various colors? That all sounds like a regular wardrobe to me.

laugh.gif
only by forum clothes horse standards can that be considered in anyway minimalist.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
I have a OneTrouser for winter which is a grey wool/cashmere flannel (two shades, charcoal and dark grey but no-one notices)
OneSportcoat? More variation. Winter is navy, two grey and one brown.

Diavolo, I agree with your approach, but I'm curious about your grey sport coats. Are they solid? Do your wear them with the grey trousers?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I have fourteen or so solid navy odd jackets, but in different fabrics and several buttoning styles.

Are any of these blazers, or do you consider that to be an entirely different category?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads