1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OneTrouser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

May I suggest 25 pairs of tweed?

You may.

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Madame Paulette shrunk two pairs of my Ambrosi/Woodhouse pants so I need new odd trousers. Woodhouse and its whipcord are no more. So, I have a new OneTrouser planned. Five pairs. Same cloth, same color. That is all.

why don't you try drapers' whipcord?
    it is almost exactly the same as the previous oneTrouser woodhouse
    or have you tired of this oneTrouser?
    and this is 1Trouser2

3. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

How did you choose on one particular shade of grey? Wouldn't it make more sense to get trousers made in a few shades of grey, spanning from light to dark, without going to the extremes of charcoal or very light grey? They'd still be all grey, but it would be a subtle variety in your clothes that fits well with your philosophy.

You guys put too much thought into precise shades of things. To my mind, there is light grey, mid grey, and dark grey (charcoal, if you like). Within each category, the cloth's other characteristics are what matter to me.

I often have five pairs made up in the same cloth ... 5x the charcoal, the mid-grey, the light-grey, the chocolate brown, the mid-brown ...

Sounds sensible to me. Although, for practical and budgetary reasons, I plan on having a fall/winter OneTrouser, a spring/summer OneTrouser, and a few key one-offs.

I'm just collecting information. That is all.

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The number 5 (五, Pinyin: wŭ) is associated with the five elements (water, wood, fire, earth and metal) in Chinese philosophy, and in turn was historically associated with the Emperor of China. For example, the Tiananmen gate, being the main thoroughfare to the Forbidden City, has five arches. It is also referred to as the pronoun "I"[citation needed], as the pronunciations of "I" (我, Pinyin: wŏ) and 5 are similar in Mandarin.

5. mafoofan

The number 5 (五, Pinyin: wŭ) is associated with the five elements (water, wood, fire, earth and metal) in Chinese philosophy, and in turn was historically associated with the Emperor of China. For example, the Tiananmen gate, being the main thoroughfare to the Forbidden City, has five arches. It is also referred to as the pronoun "I"[citation needed], as the pronunciations of "I" (我, Pinyin: wŏ) and 5 are similar in Mandarin.

Clearly my imperial blood is calling out.

6. mafoofan

Behold, the One(Trouser)Cloth:

[​IMG]

7. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

Behold, the One(Trouser)Cloth:

Meh. Too light.

8. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Well-Known Member

too light

Meh. Too light.

+1, far too light if that'll be your only trouser.

10. George

George Well-Known Member

If indeed there is a concept of the 1Trouser and this is not some 'parlour' game he is better with a light grey, as it gives him a greater range of potential colours and shades for his sportcoats.

It is not optimal, it is a compromise, but he know doubt knows that.

A bit too minimalist an approach for me, but...

11. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Looks good Foo. What made you choose flannel over twill?

I have a pair of trousers in a very similar fabric and color from Howard Yount that I got last fall.

12. mafoofan

It is a tiny bit lighter than I expected, but I think it prove incredibly versatile.

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Meh. Too light.
    Agreed. A shade (or two) too light. Definitely a good option to have but not the "one."

14. George

George Well-Known Member

Agreed. A shade (or two) too light. Definitely a good option to have but not the "one."
    Well, you'll only really know when he has it made up and he's wearing them in an ensemble. For what he's trying to achieve I think he's made the correct decision. If that cloth is the 15oz Minnis Flannel I have some trousers made from it. Very nice, but they do have one draw back that I won't go into.

15. aportnoy

Well, you'll only really know when he has it made up and he's wearing them in an ensemble. For what he's trying to achieve I think he's made the correct decision.

True that. I suppose I am relating this to my own experience/cloth choices, which are similar to many of the ones he has made.

16. EnglishLapel

EnglishLapel Well-Known Member

Good choice Foo! Lighter shades of flannel are much more pleasing to my eye for use as trousers.

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

too light
    No, no ... not at all ... it's a good choice.

18. aportnoy

Luciano Barbera has the shade right.... [​IMG]

19. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Are LB's jacket's shoulders SF approved ? Just wondering ..

20. EnglishLapel

EnglishLapel Well-Known Member

Are LB's jacket's shoulders SF approved ? Just wondering ..

Possibly not but ultimately he has real style.