• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One cheese to rule them all

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive a bit of self promo... I've been chosen among a few others to be a tester for a new cheese in development by Jasper Hill (maker of Harbison, Bayley Hazen Blue, Winnimere, Moses Sleeper and Constant Bliss). I'll be blogging my impressions of the various samples for Culture Magazine and their 2012 Birth of a Cheese event. I'll cross post on my blog (in my sig below).

Teaser:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ Very cool.

+1. I'm really impressed with what you have done with your interest. Very cool. Do you have plans to ruin (!) it by becoming professional in some capacity, or are you looking to remain an amateur in the best sense of the word?

Small rant: I wish amateur was used correctly in our country. It's such a wonderful word to describe somebody like CG and his cheese.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eric- and you humble me, Matt.

I would like to own a shop someday... but having done the restaurant biz off and on in my youth, I know how crazy that is. But my biz plan is rooted as much in generating an eat local economy for regional artisan and farmstead makers as it is retail. I don't, as yet. have the capital.

That said- I was just promoted in my current job, eliminating any need to manage people, get to focus on ONE project instead of the 21 in my portfolio and may get to go to London a few times a year... at my age, it's an anchor hard to rid.

At the least, I really enjoy being an amateur, as you say.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Stichelton yesterday. Kinda funky.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for it to become available here. :(

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My monger wasn't elated with this batch. He wanted it to be more "succulent". It was from December, so the silage the cows ate gave it a lot of funk and gaminess, which I usually like, but this kind of left the taste of ammonia in my mouth. Not sure if that's how Stichelton is supposed to be, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tiny bit of ammonia is normal, it's a by-product of mold. Spring milkings, I suspect, would be creamier but I cannot say from experience. Stichelton is a more complex beast than Stilton- a result of the raw milk for starters... they use real rennet, too.
I don't know for certain but have heard that he's fiddling with the recipe a bit.

I'll be in London in a couple of weeks and will ask around.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. He said they've been fiddling. I did get an understanding of what Stichelton is from the one taste I had. Definitely more complex. Not sure how much I liked the gassiness of it, but I might want to buy it and try it a few more times to gain an appreciation.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That gassiness is not a trait I would ever have ascribed to Stich. Next time it's available here I'll buy; or I'll just order it.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the Marcel Petit comté I can get here. Pretty tasty, but expensive with 3.50€/100g. I can get awesome 36mo for that price.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Least of their worries... but that earthquake in Italy today destroyed about one-third of a billion dollars worth of Parmigiano-Reggiano and Grana Padano.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads