• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One cheese to rule them all

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fig v dates v quince is a personal choice. Quince paste may be harder to find. Dates are pretty easy.

Bread- I don't know what you have available. Plain water crackers are easy to keep around,

Ask in the wine thread for champagne recommendations. While splits (half bottles) accomplish what you want, they're never good value if that matters.
Moscato is generally cheaper and delicious with these cheeses.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

^wow many thanks. I'm gonna search out that Pierre Robert, any tips for what kind of champagne to get with it? I probably don't wanna spend more than $30 on the bottle, or can one get smaller bottles so there'd be a lesser amount of undrunken portion to lose the fizz?

You can easily find a great Grower Champagne half bottle for that price. Look for Gaston Chiquet Premier Cru Brut Tradition, or go to a good shop and ask for some help.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an Asti by Martini, which is different from Moscato d'Asti apparently, and it was decent but too sweet in my opinion relative to the Pierre Robert... I'm not really in a city where there's help in the wine section so can you recommend a less sweet sparkling wine than Asti, but still sweet? I dunno, maybe girls like it that sweet?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I got an Asti by Martini, which is different from Moscato d'Asti apparently, and it was decent but too sweet in my opinion relative to the Pierre Robert... I'm not really in a city where there's help in the wine section so can you recommend a less sweet sparkling wine than Asti, but still sweet? I dunno, maybe girls like it that sweet?

Well, Prosecco is certainly not sweet, and usually good stuff can be had under $20. Look for Adami, whose entry level Prosecco is good but their Bosco di Gica level is incredible, and right around $20. For Cava, look for a chap named German Gilabert.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, Prosecco is certainly not sweet, and usually good stuff can be had under $20. Look for Adami, whose entry level Prosecco is good but their Bosco di Gica level is incredible, and right around $20. For Cava, look for a chap named German Gilabert.

Yup-

You may find Moscato sweet- I don't generally but it has a very floral nose.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay - i have a basic question that the few people i have asked do not know the answer - so i ask the almighty experts here on SF. I bought some taleggio cheese the other day, and it came with the mold on it? rind? i dont even know (total cheese noob here). What am I supposed to do with that part? Not knowing, I cut it all off and stored the now unmolded/unrinded? cheese in a zip lock bag.

So yeah - what is the correct way to go about this? Is this cheese mold dangerous to consume? ( I am assuming yes )...

Educate me please.

Also - what is a good introductory book into the world of cheese?

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's ok to eat it. just cut off the mold. i've heard of people eating it mold and all

cheese primer, cheese bible, mastering cheese are all good.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Books: Anything by Max McCalman

There's also a handy newer little book out now called The Cheese Course... I forget the author.

A taleggio rind that looks something like this is OK:

If it had obvious powdery white or black molds on top of that, the cheese shop shouldn't be selling it/doesn't know how to keep their cheese.

As to eating it- that's up to you. Not all rind is edible but many are as is teleggio. BUT: it will taste nothing like the paste and is often an acquired taste. If you don't like it, you do nothing wrong by cutting it off. Just remove it from the portion you are eating, not the whole cheese.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first go at Jasper Hills new cheese "Harbison" tonight. Based on my experience, Fletcher's write up in the SF Chron last week and a couple of others... it's too young right now. Should be spoonable like WInnemere or Rush Creek reserve or Epoisses... still in the sticky/too thick stage. If you pick up a wheel any time soon... suggest you leave it alone for AT LEAST 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as American cheese producers go, I really like Haystack Mountain, Vermont Shepard, and Rogue Creamery makes a nice blue.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our Christmas Eve board. What's on yours?

pantaleo

tome d'aquitaine

cashel blue

appleby's cheshire

rush creek reserve

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Our Christmas Eve board. What's on yours?

Looks great.

I waited for about a half hour at the cheese shop today. The line was out the door and you had to take a number. Anyway, no pics, but we've got Challerhocker, Tomme Crayeuse, Valençay, Epoisses, and Shropshire Blue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads