• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One cheese to rule them all

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah what the **** man.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
we need a rep points system here.

alexanduh

Reaction score
well. i am eating this cheese right now. not sure what it is. threw away the packaging lol. anyways it has a crumbly texture but melts in your mouth and is nice and creamy
drool.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried my first taste of Delice de Bourgone yesterday.. very good with some hone and pecan or by itself.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had a great Sunday afternoon cheese plate.... more Pont L'Eveque, some Point Reyes Blue, and my new fave... Beecher's Flagship Reserve from Seattle. This (Beecher's) is a great cow's milk cheese but hard to describe. Not quite as zingy as cheddar, not as sharp as an aged Parmesan...it is interesting, unique and delicious! Try it if you come across it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clockwise from left:

Dry Salami - local from a friend; testing it out for him
Morbier
Shepherd's Hope - local ripened, raw milk
Honey from our hives
King of The Dolomites
Medjool Dates & Cherries

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ on a piece of slate?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got a piece of one of my favorite bleus! Roaring Forties from Australia. Haven't had it in ages as no one was getting it in...but recently it came back and found me.....also have some St. Andre, Humboldt Fog and some random aged gouda to go along for the ride! :nodding:

alexg

Reaction score
It's Vacherin Mont D'or season. My favorite time of the year.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score

It's Vacherin Mont D'or season. My favorite time of the year.

had some the other day. good times. Have you tried Harbison? I don't know where you're located but it's the newest cheese from Jasper Hills in Vermont. It's modeled after the vacherin. Has a nice aroma, creamy texture with a rather strong mustard finish. Is a good cheese. I still prefer the original but it's tasty and you can find a small wheel for like $18 if you live in the northeast where Jasper Hill cheeses are more common. It has only existed a few months. I'm interested to see how they adjust it for next season

Speaking of Vermont cheeses, the new Twig Farm Goat Tomme came out a month or so ago. It's ******* amazing. Probably my favorite US made goat cheese at the moment. Incredible flavor, texture and the rind has a wonderful mustiness. If you see it at your local store and it looks in good shape definitely a 1/4 wheel up (it's kinda pricy like $30-35 /lb)

alexg

Reaction score
I just had Harbison the other week actually. Great cheese, I'd buy again. I also had Uplands Rush Creek Reserve this week. Another American Vacherin clone. I honestly don't know if I could even say Vacherin is any better than those two. They taste different, but all three are some of the best cheeses sold in America. I'll keep an eye out for the Goat Tomme, but I don't think I've ever seen anything from that farm in NYC.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can one of you guys recommend a cheese/wine/bread combo for me to offer to (female) guests? I'm a complete newbie and have had some stuff I really liked in Paris but didn't pay attention to names. I'm pretty much looking for any soft, whitish cheese that's got some tang... I bought an expensive french cheese the other day but it ended up having no more flavor that that Laughing Cow stuff kids eat. Is champagne ever used in place of wine, and is it ok to add foie gras mousse to make it more mealy?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Svenn- you can make a cheese board as "meal-like" as you want for as many persons as you want depending on 1) number of cheeses, 2) charcuterie 3) fruits/veg 4) bread and wherever else you want to go. Don't count out soup as an option as well.
Simple, can be easily paired with. And yes, sparkling wines, red and white can work and are the preferred choice with some cheeses (for example, moscato with certain blues). I've planned dinner for 20 that was all cheese courses and charcuterie.

Here are a couple of simple suggestions:

Bread: if you are serving just one cheese, a little brie or whatever, just stick with a good fresh baguette, warmed. If you add a few other things, more cheese etc, add a nice raisin/raisin nut bread.
Fruits (fresh): really easy and good with ripened cheese: green apple.
Fruits (dried) dried figs or medjool dates.
Nuts: for a small board, keep it very simple; one kind, just a few. marcona almonds are the stereotypical choice. Fresh walnuts are nice.
Meats: just my preference, but I don't pair French ripened cheeses with cured meats; IMO they overpower the mild flavors.
Wine pairing: buttery/creamy/triple-cream/brie etc hold up well against tart/acidic/tannic wines and can shine... again, a blanket generalization... all depends on what's on the plate.

All that said, since you mentioned champagne and a preference for strong flavors, here are a few easy combos you'll often recommended with cheeses that will be easy to find:

Small Plate - One Cheese

Beverage: Champagne

Cheese: Pierre-Robert, Epoisses or Reblochon

Accompaniment: baguette, green apple or strawberries

Add two cheeses

1) Add a fresh, plain goats milk cheese ( I like Wabash Cannonball)

2) Either Aged cheddar - Montgomery (English) is the classic example -OR- Manchego/Mahon... a harder cheese for texture and contrast

Need more? Add a little quince paste or a fig spread/jam. Perhaps add that dark bread, like raisin or a brown bread (plain)

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^wow many thanks. I'm gonna search out that Pierre Robert, any tips for what kind of champagne to get with it? I probably don't wanna spend more than $30 on the bottle, or can one get smaller bottles so there'd be a lesser amount of undrunken portion to lose the fizz? Also, what's the best way to get a fresh baguette- I know there's a vietnamese bakery around the corner that bakes them daily, but I don't wanna have to rush down there every time I think a guest might be coming, so is there any type of bread/cracker that keeps longer that I can warm up? Finally, the internet confirms dates go well with pierre robert, would fig spread be a better pair then than quince paste?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads