• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On a quest to get Burgundy (Color #4) Shell Chukka boots. I've got 3 ideas - anyone been down this r

Saturninus

Reaction score
I like Color #8, but I'd like something redder and brighter. I like plain-toe-bluchers, but I'm looking for something a bit edgier. Thus, I think I want a pair of Burgundy Cordovan Chukkas.

I've identified three possibilities:

1) AE Dundee Chukkas in Burgundy Shell Cordovan
2) Carmina 905 Chukka Boots (Simpson Last) in Burgundy Shell
3) Vass 1085 Chukka (Last F) in Burgundy Shell

What I'm really looking for is something that is as close as possible to Horween's Color #4, and not just a lightened Color #8.

I have some AEs and some Carminas, but I have never purchased from Vass.

Anyone happen to know if any of these are made from Color #4 - and are there any good choices that I've left out?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are all color 8. Carminas may be lighter than the others, as they apply the least finishing of those brands, but there's no guarantee. Carmina also does some models in color 2 (ruby), but not a chukka. You could MTO one, but that would cost like 1200$.

AE will be the darkest. They're going almost as dark as Alden these days.

I own and enjoy shoes from all three makers, but of those three, Vass makes the best shoe (Carmina is not far behind). Sizing can be tricky, though.

If you don't mind considering shell from other tanneries than Horween, Trickers makes great shoes in a variety of Cordovan colors.

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as said above, Color 8 is the Horween name for what C&J, AE, and Carmina (among others) call "burgundy shell". What Alden calls Color 8 is a more purple version that they treat more than anybody else.

Boots made in Color 4 are very rare. Ron Rider just did a GMTO over on Reddit wih Color 4 as an option.

but as always there is variation. for instance here are 2 "burgundy shell" shoes from AE, one of which is nearly red one is deep burgundy. in fact I'm almost convinced the red one isn't actually burgundy...but whatever you catch my drift. in the shell game there is just going to be variance.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Carmina's "Cognac" is what you're looking for. It looks rather revelloish in diffuse lighting, but looks quite orangey-red in direct light.

Here's some "older" AE burgundy. They're definitely finishing it deliberately darker these days.

Saturninus

Reaction score
Cognac is nice - I do have a pair of NST from Carmina in dark cognac. Actually, I'm looking for something in between the Color 8 Alden Captoes and Cognac Carmina NSTs that I have. Looks like color #4 is too rare to hope to find a chukka in nowadays, but if Carmina or Vass do not darken their Color 8s the way that Alden does (and AE does nowadays), then a Carmina or Vass burgundy might fit the bill. Thanks guys!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics