• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why even bother with following the extended universe literature? No reason they can't come up with a great story that stands on it's own. In fact this may provide them more creative freedom while allowing the stories to be easily accessible by the larger mainstream. Let's face it, the extended universe has got a little convoluted at this point.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some great stuff coming out of this news.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reports are coming out that it's going to be an original story. Too bad, I was really hoping for the Zahn trilogy.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I enjoyed the storyline from the original Knights of the Old Republic video game. HK-47 would be an awesome character.

Fantastic game.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why even bother with following the extended universe literature? No reason they can't come up with a great story that stands on it's own. In fact this may provide them more creative freedom while allowing the stories to be easily accessible by the larger mainstream. Let's face it, the extended universe has got a little convoluted at this point.

The thought in my mind is that that starts to be very difficult to do without contradicting the extended universe content.
That's why the Zahn trilogy makes sense--it was created before the rest of the extended universe and thus you don't have to worry about awkward character introductions or anything like that. A lot of the other content either relies on characters created by Zahn or was written to provide a story about what happened before Zahn's books, but Zahn's trilogy itself is very approachable to anyone who saw IV, V, and VI.

Keep in mind, the Expanded Universe stuff is blessed by Lucasfilm. The stories got approval and lucasfilm would at times tell them what could and could not happen to original characters (I read something today that one of the early books was going to have Mon Mothma die of an infection and they insisted that she survive). At the same time they were against approving any content from before ep IV since they planned to make those films in the future.
I wouldn't put it past the new owners, but it would be pretty wacked up to write a contradictory storyline to all of the stuff that is already on the bookshelves with your official licensing stamp on it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My understanding is that Lucas always said that the expanded universe shouldn't be taken has Holy text. He would come up with his own stories and ideas if he decided to and at that point anything he created would be the official cannon. Now that he's passed the torch to Disney, I would imagine this goes doubly so.

Time will tell. I'm all for a Zahn trilogy, just not sure if we should be holding our breath for the movies to follow all these books that have been written.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm going to reread the Zahn trilogy in honor of this upcoming disaster.

Looked it up on amazon earlier, there is an annotated 20th anniversary addition. I might end up picking it up for a reread.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't read that **** since I was in middle school or something.

I wonder how it holds up. I remember those being relatively well done even though I could tell at the time as a pre-teen that some of the other books were not so great...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dammit!
I want to play KOTOR...I tried to install it last night and I can't even get it to start on Win7 64bit.
I followed some directions that are supposed to make it work but still, can't even get the opening screen.

I have an OG xbox so I could probably find a KOTOR disk for cheap, but I heard that the xbox version cuts a lot of the voice acting and just has subtitles for everything minor.

Heard the steam version *might* work right away (but do I really need to pay another $10 for a game only to find it doesn't work)...otherwise I suppose I have a spare hard drive and could install winXP, but it seems like a lot of work to play one game.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd poke around on some forums and find out if the steam version will work or not. I'm sure someone would know. Plus if it doesn't, you could always try emailing Steam's CS and ask for a refund. It's not crazy to think they would do that for you.

Was reading some wild theories about who may direct the film and they brought up a solid point. Disney does not have much time to get this going. Unless the plan is to have the film be a holiday release in 2015, they only have two and a half years to get this made. Considering how studio's move and what an important project this is for the company to get right, it's a good bet that they are a lot further along in the script and planning then the public assumes. We might hear some news on the director soon.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dammit!
I want to play KOTOR...I tried to install it last night and I can't even get it to start on Win7 64bit.
I followed some directions that are supposed to make it work but still, can't even get the opening screen.
I have an OG xbox so I could probably find a KOTOR disk for cheap, but I heard that the xbox version cuts a lot of the voice acting and just has subtitles for everything minor.
Heard the steam version *might* work right away (but do I really need to pay another $10 for a game only to find it doesn't work)...otherwise I suppose I have a spare hard drive and could install winXP, but it seems like a lot of work to play one game.

Worked for me a couple months ago. :devil: Now that I think of it though, I think I've had random crashes that occured quite often (so quick save spam it was). I believe that was KoToR 2 though. Good thing the game starts up in like 10 seconds.

Anyhow, this here semes reasonable extensive. Have you tried it? http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?s=e559358da0f86cfc0c0460c3af096775&p=2562043&postcount=2

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are nuts if you think they care about the Star Wars novels in this era of reboots and reimaginings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads