• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I was browsing FarFetch and realized they have a lot of nice stuff sans the brokerage fees you probably encounter since it is being shipped from all over the world. I am not one to complain though as I find their prices good.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What did you get, and how do you like it? I don't think I'd heard of them until you mentioned them, and some of their stuff looks pretty nice.

Roden Gray carried Barena for S/S12. The fabics were all very lightweight, almost sheer, and all the garments were very cropped and unstructured. I liked it but I thought it was a tad expensive for what it was (or wasn't). You can find a decent selection of Barena on Yoox from time to time.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were a couple Barena knits, the ones with the toggles at the collar, that made it to the last cut at tbs. Would have kopped if they weren't cropped. Oh god that rhymed :facepalm:

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3) Stark in military green - I picked this up for under $180. Not the favorite of my starks, and you have to be careful pairing it with jeans, but for the price, and given that I wear my S.N.S. Herning sweaters so much, not a complaint in the world.

how come? i would have thought green would be perfect with denim. i have a navy fisherman that i don't like wearing with denim, not enough contrast.

Hobbs

Reaction score

Re. Barena

If you are looking for less knits, and more fabrics like pressed and boiled wools, and a more structured look, Harris Wharf London is another alternative, though they have fewer models. They are growing (this is their 6th season), while Barena has been around for literally decades.

It's odd that Barena is rarely mentioned around here. I have a Slanega and Servolo from AW12 - the fabrics, fit and raw edge finishing are superb.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maas & Stacks hit 50%. If you missed the Ervell baseball knit on thecorner, they have some at M&S at 50%.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of good brands that go unnoticed. I find Mauro Grifoni to be underrated and rarely mentioned in these parts. Still, there it is every season at the Corner and past seasons can be picked up for a song on Yoox.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There were a couple Barena knits, the ones with the toggles at the collar, that made it to the last cut at tbs. Would have kopped if they weren't cropped. Oh god that rhymed :facepalm:

The jackets are cropped. The jersey version of that piece is slightly cropped (my brown one hits at my belt line, and a navy one actually hits well under the belt line. The cable version of that is definitely not cropped, by any measure. At 5'11" and normal torso proportions, the hem hit at just under my jeans pockets, and I wear my jeans pretty low. I think that it's still around in some places.

Styleforum SW&D is going through a wierd phase right now. People are calling anything that isn't really slouchy, which is nearly exclusively a NYC hipster thing - I don't see in anywhere else, and definitely not in most of Europe, cropped. It's like goth ninja passed through and left this single idea, that all tops should be long enough to cover your balls,

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered several Mauro G. things this year and found most of them to be nothing special. But I kept a couple that I love and I'm just hoping they hold up well, including this. It's got a really nice drape to it.

cliffrancho

Reaction score
Where do you enter the code? I dont' see a spot for it.

You have to checkout (through Paypal) and then when you return back to the Sir and Madame page to finalize your order, there'll be the "Enter Code" section. Not the best IA, but that's how it goes.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A word of caution for all of you folks who had orders partially cancelled by Unionmade: check your refunds very carefully. The refund for the item they didn't ship just posted to my credit card, and they only refunded the purchase price, but not the sales tax they charged on the original order.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

how come? i would have thought green would be perfect with denim. i have a navy fisherman that i don't like wearing with denim, not enough contrast.

Tones. The military green has an "ash" tone, and goes well with indigo that has a fair bit of sulfur in it, but otherwise, it doesn't work. Likewise, it doesn't work with indigo with a fair bit of red in the dye, like, say APC jeans, at least, unwashed. Navy can work with denim, you just have to find the right tones. It's not even the shade. It's the tone. A cool off primary doesn't work with a warm off primary.

Cheers,

Fok.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
hate hate hate hate hate cropped knits and jackets

enjoy showing off dat sexy midriff fok :lol:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^some nice stuff on there (thought it was posted already), ******* wm cardigan is fire

who can tell me where arcteryx is made?

skitlets you in oc? I'm sorry

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads