• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, Unionmade sent me the wrong color SNS sweater, but I like the one they sent, so I am keeping it.

doinitok

Reaction score
You are obligated to send it back... It sucks they made the mistake, but they're owning up to it... stop trying to take advantage of the situation.
According to what? The FTC disagrees with you.

But legalities aside, I am more than happy to do the honest thing and send it back. So long as they send me a pre-paid envelope. USPS can't track/delivery confirm international mail. And I live in a rural area, so I'm not driving 30 mins+ to ship it UPS/FED EX.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

According to what? The FTC disagrees with you.

But legalities aside, I am more than happy to do the honest thing and send it back. So long as they send me a pre-paid envelope. USPS can't track/delivery confirm international mail. And I live in a rural area, so I'm not driving 30 mins+ to ship it UPS/FED EX.

No, they don't. You're a moron.

USPS can track international packages. Also, you're a moron.

Last edited:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Say what?
You must not be talking about the latest one (I believe it was FW10) because the leather used in that collab shoe was some serious plasticky piece of shait,,,,, I've seen better leather on the made in portugal/romania offerings @Aldo.....

Sorry to derail the thread, but do you happen to know if this pair had those same issues? I'm considering buying them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to the Federal Trade Commission, I'm not obliged to return it: "If you receive merchandise you didn’t order, federal law says you can consider it a gift. You can’t be forced to pay for the item or return it." from.... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/general/gen06.pdf VLSI, do you have a source that says otherwise? And surely I'm not obliged to return it on my own dime, simply because they promise to pay me back.
The above is meant to protect consumers against the "negative option." Because this was an honest error, you do have limited legal obligation. However, they are in the wrong, and they must shoulder all responsibility and expenses. You also get to dictate the terms, but they have to be reasonable: Here, read this: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise
Q. What should I do if the unordered merchandise I received was the result of an honest shipping error? A. Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (say 30 days) to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Tell the seller that you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or dispose of it after the specified time has passed.
Of course, the merchant is a moron. Clearly, the right thing for them to do is to ship you out the new merchandise using expedited shipping, and also send a return envelope. In many cases, the better retailers (like Mr. Porter) will actually issue you an additional credit for your inconvenience. After all, you paid for goods with a reasonable expectation that it will arrive in X amount of time. Mr. Porter and all really seasoned web stores know that if they make a mistake, the best policy is to eat it. I bought a Jeanshop briefcase from them. and *********** up the shipping. Then I ordered something else, and *********** it up even more. So, they sent both via UPS next day shipping (about a $100 expense, with the weight of the goods and size of the box) and then credited me an additional $100 for my inconvenience. Yes, their selection can be pretty dull, and their styling, even more so, but they know their customer service.

doinitok

Reaction score
Thank you, LA GUY.

Now that's the sort of wisdom I expect from the Style Forum big wigs!

Seriously, much appreciated.

And, BTW, you got some low-level hall monitor running around here kind of acting like a jerk.

Cheers.

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
Thank you, LA GUY.

Now that's the sort of wisdom I expect from the Style Forum big wigs!

Seriously, much appreciated.

And, BTW, you got some low-level hall monitor running around here kind of acting like a jerk.

Cheers.
Idk about being a jerk... He was right though, since they said they would reimburse you, you should send it back...

patepossu

Reaction score
You should notice that advices given by Federal Trade Commission do not apply around the globe. If you really want to go the 'asshat route' and demand something like a return envelope (meaning they would have to pay 3xshipping for a non-fulfilled purchase) the whole case will most likely end up real pain ********** both for you and the shop you bought it. Just send it back with your bank details/paypal and you'll be better of.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I told you what to do in my first post. I knew exactly what FTC statement you were referring to, but it doesn't apply as you thought as spelled out by laguy.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You should notice that advices given by Federal Trade Commission do not apply around the globe. If you really want to go the 'asshat route' and demand something like a return envelope (meaning they would have to pay 3xshipping for a non-fulfilled purchase) the whole case will most likely end up real pain ********** both for you and the shop you bought it. Just send it back with your bank details/paypal and you'll be better of.

For anything shipped to a US address, the FTC standards apply. Yes, it sucks for the seller, but there is no reason that the buyer should have to bear any expenses or inconvenience because of the incompetence of the seller. You make a mistake, and you eat the cost. It's a pretty easy to understand concept. That said, if the buyer's demands are unreasonable, the seller is unlikely to sell anything additional to you. They can get their merchandise back, refund your money, and then tell you that you are no longer welcome as a customer, ever again.

The best case scenario would be for the seller to arrange for UPS pickup, and immediately send out the new, right, merchandise.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't call out my hall monitors, btw. If he is flagging your posts needlessly, you can complain to me.

And fwiw, I agree with him, at least in part. I think that you should return the items. However, I would definitely not do it at my own expense, and definitely not without either an immediate refund or an immediate exchange that takes place before you ship out.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry Fok, I'll be nice. I usually end up holding my tongue. I'm familiar with the FTC regulations he was quoting because I went through a similar struggle of my own recently. Dell sent me some computers that I didn't order (not even the wrong thing, straight up didn't order). Just got "done" fighting with them and ended up rolling over on the issue because they were threatening collections and it wasn't worth a legal battle or lasting damage to my credit. Even though I was legally in the right and they scammed me essentially, the fight just isn't always worth it.

Last edited:

thenewjs

Reaction score
**** why does LN-CC have to gradually mark down their items? The shoes I bought were then marked down another 100 pounds a couple of hours after i checked out
Something is suspect about LN-CC. I was watching those AnnD kicks and all of a sudden they were out of stock. They did had a FSR and no price reduction.

patepossu

Reaction score

For anything shipped to a US address, the FTC standards apply.

I stand corrected. I'm quite sure that in European context the regulations of country of origin are applied in international retail business.

Yes, it sucks for the seller, but there is no reason that the buyer should have to bear any expenses or inconvenience because of the incompetence of the seller. You make a mistake, and you eat the cost. It's a pretty easy to understand concept.

Agree, but in most cases it's just better not to make too big of a number and just file cases like this under "mistakes happen" and get over with it. I don't think returning the wrong item and waiting for a refund can be considered as unbearable inconvenience, more like a standard procedure. Only a few shops can or are willing to offer such excellent service as mrporter.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads