• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Paul Smith Shoe Thread... all PS shoe questions here

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
theyre called starr

Starrs have closed lacing (or is it open? I get the terminology wrong). Anyways, they have a different lacing.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, starrs have closed lacing.

about those kenneth coles, even KC has to eventually get away from square bicycle toes. I applaud them - I think

falsestart

Reaction score
Get Smart;903421 said:
Ordered these today, totally stumbled on them by accident and they had my size left on sale

Got to see these boots IRL while in Paris and they were really badass so I'm stoked they'll be in my horde by next wednesday

ah, you're a good role model gs. nice pick up

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
If you want brown Starr brogues, Saks has them on sale

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=1203583882257

Are those PS shoes on sale at Saks the same as these PS shoes from PS's main website? They both have similar desing and style and both are described as dip-dyed but the color dye are different, even though their both brown. Is it just the pics?
s7xc-a028-wsh-s25-14448.jpg
0414979838999_275x275.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
those are 2 different shoes, at least sole-wise

the ones Saks is selling are the standard welted soles.

the ones above on left is the new style that the shoes is supposedly going towards....where the sole is flush with uppers and I believe they are cemented altho the website says they're blake stitched. But then the website says the original Starrs are blake stitched when they are goodyear welted.

but the ones on left <<< seem to have a different burnishing to the toebox, with the darker finish at toes. Normal starrs are a bit more even toned, like the right

jkennett

Reaction score
I'd opt for the pair from Saks if you were considering a purchase... I really doubt that the new pair is blake stitched, as it doesn't seem to be substantial enough for that to be the case. Get Smart already stated that though, and he definitely has more experience with PS products than I do judging from his collection!
drool.gif
-Random note. There is an interview with Sir Paul Smith in the current issue of New York magazine. (the one with the nude lindsay lohan pics). The magazine is split on either side between men's and women's spring fashion.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes on Sak's website are from last season.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and suggestion Get Smart and J Kennett. Thanks for the heads up too keykoo. I am really tempted to purchase it because I still have some leftover gift cards for Saks but I usually wear a size 7 in PS. I usually wear a wide in shoes, does the Starr's fit small or narrow? I guess I'm looking for some justification in purchasing it a half size bigger.
smile.gif

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart, what brand shoe trees do you use? The ones I bought from Nordstrom, well, one of them doesn't fit the shoe properly and is stretching it out a bit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
GoSurface,

I have a mish mash of trees...Nordstrom, woodlore, and ones my local cobbler had

Perhaps try a size down in the Nordstrom trees, or go with a woman's shoe tree since those tend to run narrower?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Because the creasing on the left shoe is definitely more prominent than the right shoe. And, I need to eliminate that asap. Thanks!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Starrs fit normal in width, a half size longer in length, but as always YMMV. I wouldnt size up ½...if anything you could size down ½

I guess I'll save my gift cards for something better then. Thanks.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Are those PS shoes on sale at Saks the same as these PS shoes from PS's main website? They both have similar desing and style and both are described as dip-dyed but the color dye are different, even though their both brown. Is it just the pics?
s7xc-a028-wsh-s25-14448.jpg
0414979838999_275x275.jpg

The ones on the left are miller and the ones on the right are starr...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
Starrs have closed lacing (or is it open? I get the terminology wrong). Anyways, they have a different lacing.

yea my bad....

i was thinking that there is something different about it at first but they all look so damn similar ..so i was like what the hell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads