• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeesh...

dont' know much about the olympic club... but it must be a ridiculously hard golf course...

Schwazer

Reaction score
Congrats to Webb Simpson.

I have been following him for 3 years. Nice to see him win.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big congrats to Webb Simpson.

Furyk just nose dived on that 3-wood duck hook drive. I was SO hoping G-Mac would come through on that last putt but I even saw before he swung that his alignment looked left and was saying to my dad "Nooooooo! There goes the playoff!".

I hit the driving range with my brothers yesterday just before the start of the US Open. I had a LOT of fantastic drives. Really getting the consistency down. Most of the range balls really ballooned with a fairly high trajectory but there was a Titleist NXT-Tour in the bucket and that drove like a rocket with a very nice ball flight and a very good run after carrying for about 290 yards.

monci

Reaction score
Just picked myself up a Scotty Cameron putter! WOOOOOOOOOO!

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what kind? hopefully not from the bay.... there be a lot of fakes on that site.

Schwazer

Reaction score

Big congrats to Webb Simpson.
Furyk just nose dived on that 3-wood duck hook drive. I was SO hoping G-Mac would come through on that last putt but I even saw before he swung that his alignment looked left and was saying to my dad "Nooooooo! There goes the playoff!".
I hit the driving range with my brothers yesterday just before the start of the US Open. I had a LOT of fantastic drives. Really getting the consistency down. Most of the range balls really ballooned with a fairly high trajectory but there was a Titleist NXT-Tour in the bucket and that drove like a rocket with a very nice ball flight and a very good run after carrying for about 290 yards.

Titleist NXT Tour balls are quality, cheaper golf balls. Underrated.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Titleist NXT Tour balls are quality, cheaper golf balls. Underrated.

I've used them a little from time to time and was always pleased that they performed fairly well. I don't have the cash to drop on Pro-V1X's all the time.

I'm excited to try out some Bridgestone B330's, Nike One Tour D (older ball, but should still perform), and Srixon Z-Stars. I got a bunch of recycled (not refinished) mint conditions for a steal. They mostly just have logos and a few have some slight marks or discolorations. Most look brand spankin' new.

monci

Reaction score
what kind? hopefully not from the bay.... there be a lot of fakes on that site.
No sir, just picked it up from Golfsmith. Ordered it a couple weeks ago. I just got the classic Scotty studio select.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

watched an interview with him, he reckoned it would be left but move right near the hole... shame

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, ashamedly, I have not touched my clubs until last week Thursday where I had to play in a Texas Scramble tournament. The people I played with kept plying me with drinks, which I normally do not partake of on the course and, predictably, I played horribly absent a few good shots here or there.

Cut to Saturday two days later. Raining like a monsoon out but we see on the radar map that it should taper off shortly. We head to the course and it drizzles on us for the first two holes and clears up beautifully after that. But there is an inch of standing water everywhere so there is no roll to your tee shots whatsoever. Anyways, I feel loose and easy and play the same way. Absent a missed 8 inch putt I am playing well and am only 5 over going into the last hole. When we experience a Noah's ark kind of deluge. Raindrops the size of quarters, etc. So my club slips and almost flies out of my hands on my approach and I end up in a bunker and take a bogey for a 6 over 78.

Quite pleased for the second round of the year in those conditions with no practice whatsoever. We'll see what the rest of the year holds.

mothon

Reaction score
1.51 smash factor? Jeez. I have an almost unbelievable swing speed and am only getting a 1.42 smash. However I hadn't warmed up prior and this was before "fixed" my swing (I also hate hitting off the rubber tees).
Higher swing speed does not mean a higher smash factor. Smash factor is the efficiency of your swing.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Higher swing speed does not mean a higher smash factor.  Smash factor is the efficiency of your swing.

Its merely ballspeed divided by swingspeed lads. And personally i would describe efficiency in à broader sense..

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its merely ballspeed divided by swingspeed lads. And personally i would describe efficiency in à broader sense..

Yes, efficiency in swing mechanics and also means you have the right shaft/head mated to your swing will maximize your smash factor.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, efficiency in swing mechanics and also means you have the right shaft/head mated to your swing will maximize your smash factor.

Its fun stuff.. Guys on the pga tour actually have lower smash factors than they would have if perfectly optimized. Instead, they choose to launch fractionally lower, with a bit more spin just to get a more controlled ballflight. So comparing an amateur with their stats doesnt say as much.

fwiw, the kid has a nice swing. a bit loose imho, but thats his age I guess. Probably scratch by now, if not its not his swing..

rollafan

Reaction score
Man, missed all the posts due to travelling.. thanks for nice words for my brother's golf swing!
anyways yeah he has good swing, and he usually shoots under par... I've gotta say my brother's not good at putting though ..
cloud.gif
he sucked for the first 3 tournaments, then finished all top 7s for the remainder of tourneys, so we'll see how he does for the US AM...

BTW, does anyone know own one of the SeeMore putters? Saw them at the PGAsuperstore and they looked pretty sweeet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics