• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

CEE88

Reaction score
Love my Beaufort, waxed cotton generally -- and am now looking for something a little different. Anyone have information on the Barbour Middleburn:

3C3P00L0W_lg.jpg

If you've seen this jack in person and/or own one, what are your impressions?

Is the cotton heavier than, say, that of a typical Beaufort or Bedale? I've seen it referred to as "Heavyweight 8oz. Barbour Duramax" -- on what other Barbour jackets is this used?
Is the cut more trim than 'classics' like the Bedale/Beaufort? (supposedly it is, I'm just looking for confirmation)
What about the length in comparison to the Bedale?
Is the Middleburn more of a winter jacket weight?
The Barbour website seems to have dropped all mention of the Middleburn -- which line was it part of: contemporary, classic or heritage?
Thanks.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really good-looking. I'm partial to how understated it is.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
That's really good-looking. I'm partial to how understated it is.
I took a chance and ordered it. I'll do my own review after I've had it for a while.

CEE88

Reaction score
Thoughts on Barbour's "classics" (Bedale, Beaufort, etc.) versus its Heritage offerings such as these (Hooded Hunter, Tokihito Yoshida Hooded Hunter)?

E5Cg8l.jpg

t7TE2l.jpg

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i personally like the beacon heritage tokito pieces better because of the slimmer fits but the barbour classics are great in their own right

cork grips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auggie
I've just re-waxed my bedale for the first time and it looks pretty good...until I wear it
wink.gif
Within minutes of wearing it the wax forms creases easily and doesn't seem to have set permanently. I can remelt the wax with a hair dryer and it distributes evenly. I've let the coat sit in the sun of a large bay window for a few days and let it dry in a room temperature room for the last few days. It doesn't seem like the wax will set. Has anyone any experience with this process? Is there anything else I could do to finish the re-waxing process, or does it just need to be worn for awhile before the wax sets?

Perhaps you applied too much wax or painted it on as apposed to working the wax into the cloth. Also, it sounds like you wore your jacket right after the reproofing.. the wax needs to set (overnight or longer) before you can wear it.

auggie

Reaction score
I hung the jacket for 4-5 days before wearing it, so thats not it and I spent 3 hours rubbing wax in, so I dont think it was the application. Maybe I didn't work the wax in enough....I was thinking maybe the cotton wasnt absorbing the wax anymore. The jacket is a bit old, roughly 15 years, and maybe it was too long between wax applications. Has anyone else seen or had this happen to thier's?

Thanks

bandrus1

Reaction score
did you wash the jacket with a wet cloth very well before applying the wax?

auggie

Reaction score
I washed it with a wet cloth, so i don't think ******** that up..I called Barbour and they were no help. Maybe i just need a new one.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised Barbour couldn't help^ You can always send it to them and have them refinish it for you.

I am loving my tokihito bicycle jacket, it is most definitely the first jacket that I grab on most days. If anyone is on the fence, grab it.

37degrees

Reaction score
Gents,
Does anyone have any thoughts on wearing a barbour waxed cotton jacket on leather car seats?
I assume that they are designed for use around the estate in the Range Rover, so shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted some assurance. Does the wax transfer? Has anyone had any problems when storing their Barbour against other clothing in their wardrobe?
Thanks

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know whenever i buy something from Barbour they always put the wax in a seperate bag from the non wax. Ive had wax transfer onto other coats before.

Originally Posted by 37degrees
Gents,
Does anyone have any thoughts on wearing a barbour waxed cotton jacket on leather car seats?
I assume that they are designed for use around the estate in the Range Rover, so shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted some assurance. Does the wax transfer? Has anyone had any problems when storing their Barbour against other clothing in their wardrobe?
Thanks

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 37degrees
Gents,
Thanks

Wax can transfer to other clothing if it's in contact for a prolonged period, or if there's friction. As far as car seats go, unless they're well sealed you could get transfer - I've had transfer from an admittedly fairly new barbour onto a aleather shoulder bag.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
barbour @ gtown has all tokito f/w at 40% off. mostly large sizes but not a bad selection

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads