• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nom de Guerre closing?

false

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
I don't see why NDG would be closing. Prices have gone down about 30%-40% lower than years before. They have moved some production to China. Chunky Shawl Cardigan is now $240 compared to $600 last year. (Not as chunky though). As for rent, I don't think its that high, their location is in the basement. They share the same basement with the copy/printing place. I heard that they are planning to open up a ground level store. As for their online store, it won't happen until next year.

ndg always have some nice sales from ervell and common projects at 50% off.

They have sidewalk construction, you may have some hard time finding the store since some area is closed off.

Where did you see a Shawl Cardigan this season? I asked at their Shibuya store and the girl said they weren't doing one this season. Didn't see it in the lookbook either.

When I visited their NY store the basement was closed and they had a grand total of 2 racks of clothes for sale, hardly even a corner of the room. They've had some really awesome stuff but most of their current season sucks and they've got to have some of the most pretentious people ever writing their releases

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
Where did you see a Shawl Cardigan this season? I asked at their Shibuya store and the girl said they weren't doing one this season. Didn't see it in the lookbook either.

When I visited their NY store the basement was closed and they had a grand total of 2 racks of clothes for sale, hardly even a corner of the room. They've had some really awesome stuff but most of their current season sucks and they've got to have some of the most pretentious people ever writing their releases

They had this cardigan in the ny store over the summer.
6364026-origpic-208b42.jpg_0_0_100_100_375_564_100.jpg

Your right that this season selection was limited. They didn't produced that many knits or accessories. Agree that last seasons were better with the heavy wool outerwear and chunky knits.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I'm not surprised about NDG since I've noticed very few stores are even stocking much from the brand any more. And they aren't even willing to list their stockists on their web site-- must be a small list!

Another label that I wonder about is Tim Hamilton since it too has become increasingly scarce. From what I can tell, at least half of the stores in their stockists list have ordered nothing for several seasons now. Yet, they're still listed as dealers?!

http://www.fashionsauce.com/brands/n...erre-stockists

horton

Reaction score
I heard the rumor that they may be closing from one of their stockists who mentioned that NdG cancelled/didn't fulfill orders this season and that the designers may be going separate ways.

the cardigan is I believe being sold by Tres Bien at way cheaper than it sold for last year

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^WAY cheaper. Like less than half the price. Is this because it's made in China now?

I am not sure how I would feel about this. I usually don't like the S/S offerings outside of usually a lightweight knit or two. On the other hand, for FW08 and 09 I liked pretty much everything they had to offer including the W+H collabo stuff and especially the knits... in the early seasons I would have pegged their strength as outerwear but since 08 it's been knitwear. On the third hand, this season was nowhere near as good, again perhaps as a result of the production shift to PRC. So I don't really know at this point whether this would be a "big loss".

I guess what it comes down to is, I would like to see if they pick up again once they sort of settle into their new price point and production setup because given the 30%ish price reduction I would think more people will be interested.

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the shawl neck sweater in dark grey marl as it was WAY cheaper than in previous seasons. Pretty good pick up at the new price...which was about £120 I think...

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought tons of NDG over the years. Their outwear and knits have have held up and still look current. The collabs have been spot on as well, and years ahead. They have been doing special makeups with the likes of Buzz Rickson, Trickers and Mackintosh before most of the people on this board knew they existed.

AllAreCommon

Reaction score
Just Spoke to Mitsu at the store and he mentioned nothing about a closing but they did have a huge sale going on.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AllAreCommon
Just Spoke to Mitsu at the store and he mentioned nothing about a closing but they did have a huge sale going on.

did you tell him it was on twitter?

AllAreCommon

Reaction score
If you've ever had the chance to speak to mitsu you would know mentioning things outside of whatever you specifically are looking for could derail your conversation all together so no I did no mention twitter or any other social network.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AllAreCommon
If you've ever had the chance to speak to mitsu you would know mentioning things outside of whatever you specifically are looking for could derail your conversation all together so no I did no mention twitter or any other social network.
Methinks you should call back specifically for details about them closing.
teacha.gif

Sabrosa

Reaction score
I'm planning on stopping by the store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something more concrete than a mysterious tweet to go on at that point.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sabrosa
I'm planning on stopping by the store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something more concrete than a mysterious tweet to go on at that point.
Pick me up sweet **** if it's cheap. I'll pay you back in Jan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads