1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nom de Guerre closing?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by prurient, Nov 29, 2010.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I thought I heard a mention that they were moving out of the basement spot to a new location soon. Note that I did not read this on twitter.
    Not twitter? I question your source.

2. prurient

prurient Well-Known Member

3. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

then again, they save rent by being set up in the basement. anyway this would somewhat surprise me. when i stopped by earlier this year the guy working the shop was whining to me about how much business he had and shit to deal with.

anyway i wouldnt really care either way. sometimes on the deepest sales ndg can be ok. otherwise its mostly overpriced, the absolute apathy with which the guy runs the store kinda amuses me though, got that too-cool-for-you japanese swagger

the japanese sales dude was the absolute best. always on top of telling me when to come back for sales or just telling me the sale prices. I've always been a fan of NdG. While I haven't bought anything of theirs in a few seasons (their spring summer stuff is always meh), some of my favorite pieces I wear are nom de guerre. Was actually interested in the elite parka until i realized it would be too thin for east coast winter. my utility jacket is still my go to winter jacket when I head back east.

4. adamha21

adamha21 Well-Known Member

Oy I regret selling that utility jacket.

5. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised about NDG since I've noticed very few stores are even stocking much from the brand any more. And they aren't even willing to list their stockists on their web site-- must be a small list!

Another label that I wonder about is Tim Hamilton since it too has become increasingly scarce. From what I can tell, at least half of the stores in their stockists list have ordered nothing for several seasons now. Yet, they're still listed as dealers?!

6. false

false Well-Known Member

I don't see why NDG would be closing. Prices have gone down about 30%-40% lower than years before. They have moved some production to China. Chunky Shawl Cardigan is now $240 compared to $600 last year. (Not as chunky though). As for rent, I don't think its that high, their location is in the basement. They share the same basement with the copy/printing place. I heard that they are planning to open up a ground level store. As for their online store, it won't happen until next year.

ndg always have some nice sales from ervell and common projects at 50% off.

They have sidewalk construction, you may have some hard time finding the store since some area is closed off.

Where did you see a Shawl Cardigan this season? I asked at their Shibuya store and the girl said they weren't doing one this season. Didn't see it in the lookbook either.

When I visited their NY store the basement was closed and they had a grand total of 2 racks of clothes for sale, hardly even a corner of the room. They've had some really awesome stuff but most of their current season sucks and they've got to have some of the most pretentious people ever writing their releases

7. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Well-Known Member

8. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Well-Known Member

Where did you see a Shawl Cardigan this season? I asked at their Shibuya store and the girl said they weren't doing one this season. Didn't see it in the lookbook either.

When I visited their NY store the basement was closed and they had a grand total of 2 racks of clothes for sale, hardly even a corner of the room. They've had some really awesome stuff but most of their current season sucks and they've got to have some of the most pretentious people ever writing their releases

They had this cardigan in the ny store over the summer. [​IMG]

Your right that this season selection was limited. They didn't produced that many knits or accessories. Agree that last seasons were better with the heavy wool outerwear and chunky knits.

9. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised about NDG since I've noticed very few stores are even stocking much from the brand any more. And they aren't even willing to list their stockists on their web site-- must be a small list!

Another label that I wonder about is Tim Hamilton since it too has become increasingly scarce. From what I can tell, at least half of the stores in their stockists list have ordered nothing for several seasons now. Yet, they're still listed as dealers?!

http://www.fashionsauce.com/brands/n...erre-stockists

10. horton

horton Well-Known Member

I heard the rumor that they may be closing from one of their stockists who mentioned that NdG cancelled/didn't fulfill orders this season and that the designers may be going separate ways.

the cardigan is I believe being sold by Tres Bien at way cheaper than it sold for last year

11. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

^WAY cheaper. Like less than half the price. Is this because it's made in China now?

I am not sure how I would feel about this. I usually don't like the S/S offerings outside of usually a lightweight knit or two. On the other hand, for FW08 and 09 I liked pretty much everything they had to offer including the W+H collabo stuff and especially the knits... in the early seasons I would have pegged their strength as outerwear but since 08 it's been knitwear. On the third hand, this season was nowhere near as good, again perhaps as a result of the production shift to PRC. So I don't really know at this point whether this would be a "big loss".

I guess what it comes down to is, I would like to see if they pick up again once they sort of settle into their new price point and production setup because given the 30%ish price reduction I would think more people will be interested.

12. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Well-Known Member

I picked up the shawl neck sweater in dark grey marl as it was WAY cheaper than in previous seasons. Pretty good pick up at the new price...which was about £120 I think...

13. London

London Well-Known Member

I've bought tons of NDG over the years. Their outwear and knits have have held up and still look current. The collabs have been spot on as well, and years ahead. They have been doing special makeups with the likes of Buzz Rickson, Trickers and Mackintosh before most of the people on this board knew they existed.

14. AllAreCommon

AllAreCommon Well-Known Member

Just Spoke to Mitsu at the store and he mentioned nothing about a closing but they did have a huge sale going on.

15. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

Just Spoke to Mitsu at the store and he mentioned nothing about a closing but they did have a huge sale going on.

did you tell him it was on twitter?

16. AllAreCommon

AllAreCommon Well-Known Member

If you've ever had the chance to speak to mitsu you would know mentioning things outside of whatever you specifically are looking for could derail your conversation all together so no I did no mention twitter or any other social network.

17. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

If you've ever had the chance to speak to mitsu you would know mentioning things outside of whatever you specifically are looking for could derail your conversation all together so no I did no mention twitter or any other social network.
    Methinks you should call back specifically for details about them closing. [​IMG]

18. Sabrosa

Sabrosa Well-Known Member

I'm planning on stopping by the store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something more concrete than a mysterious tweet to go on at that point.

19. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I'm planning on stopping by the store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something more concrete than a mysterious tweet to go on at that point.
    Pick me up sweet shit if it's cheap. I'll pay you back in Jan.

20. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Well-Known Member

Acrimony just tweeted that Fall 2010 is NdG's last season. Damn.