1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

No undershirt with cashmere shirts & sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archetypal_yuppie, Jan 28, 2013.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

useful info bourbon, thx. some of my cashmere "sweaters" from cruciani are very thin and light, and even have a polo collar. cashmere shirts might be a better name, but that's not how they're categorized. these lend themselves to wearing as a shirt the most, and definitely don't look strange without a shirt collar underneath.

2. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Well-Known Member

you are amazing [​IMG]
    Thanks!

3. coloRLOw

just have time to finish reading your post, very instructive
    im also curious to know how do you collect those interesting information?

4. coloRLOw

just googled a 2012.10 news: Chanel buys Hawick cashmere mill Barrie
    did this Barrie make high quality cashmere sweater?
    and Barrie is this one (the pic is also googled) ?

[​IMG]

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

As is the case with learning more about anything: research and reading.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I'll see your undershirt and raise you my two shaved armpits.

7. lullemans72

lullemans72 Member

Sorry to revive this thread but I have a burning question about cashmere sweaters I'd like to ask.

I recently got myself a mock neck cashmere sweater, and as with all my sweaters, be it v necks or crew necks, I wear them with (an undershirt and) a casual dress shirt underneath. Partly because it allows me to bring in some extra color from the shirt collar, but also to protect the sweaters from sweat and the like.

However, I've noticed that when wearing my mock neck cashmere sweater, the extra shirt layer causes the mock collar to create this slight gap between my neck and the sweater which I find a bit unsightly.

After finding this article, it would seem that wearing only an undershirt and no casual shirt underneath would be the way to go. I'm open to giving this a try, although I've never done it before and it will feel awkward at first, but I'm honestly also worried that the cashmere will get dirty much more easily if I'm only wearing an undershirt, and not an extra shirt to protect collar, sleeves and wrists. I really didn't know cashmere could be worn directly to the skin with only one undershirt underneath.

On a side note, I was shocked to read that some people don't even wear undershirts with their sweaters. Just wow.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. coloRLOw

i don't have mock neck sweaters,but have some turtleneck ones that i wear without undershirt.

like shoes,i don't wear a sweater once more than one day in around one week.

and the yarn of good sweaters is used long fiber so i think it's not easily to worn away in normal use. and the friction between the sweater and your skin is smaller than that between desk or cloth of coat.

i wash my sweaters once a year when become warm ,and before that those turtlenecks are not too dirty to tolerate for me,haha.

9. piccolochimico

piccolochimico Member

I've used to wear undershirt since i was born.
    Short sleeves most of times, sleeveless only when it is warmer.
    Always 100% cotton (with lycra or other stretchable polymer) for the best fitting.

10. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Always time to change. My late mother provided for my nourishment after I was born but I changed from that very quickly. Mother's ideas on vests were also thrown out by the time I was seven. She thought I'd die of cold, I thought over heating!

11. piccolochimico

piccolochimico Member

Well, the undershirts I'm actually wearing is completely different from those ones I used to wear under mom's supervision [​IMG]
    I've been wearing Intimissimi underwear and it's outstanding.
    Except during summer time, when I wear polos and t-shirts, I don't like the feeling of a sweater or of a long sleeve shirt on my bare skin.

12. lullemans72

lullemans72 Member

How exactly do you wear those turtle necks and not have them become stained or dirty extremely quickly through your natural oils? I would never wear any garment without an under shirt. Ever.