• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New users

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've noticed that we have had a number of knowledgeable gentlemen join this forum recently - bankerjon, Kai and MPS among them. I'm curious, how did y'all find the Style forum?

Maybe this could become a thread where new users introduce themselves, give us a bit of background, and most importantly, tell us how they found the forum. What does everyone think of this idea??

MPS

Reaction score
I found the site via www.askandyaboutclothes.com which I found after doing a Google search for "Grenson". In fact, Google picked up the keyword in one of your posts, and another one of your posts on the askandy site gave the link to the Vass thread on styleforum.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Hello all...2nd post here. I found this post after feeling rather stupid upon walking into a clothing/suit store. Braddocks here in New Jersey. Allow me to explain: I have a Bar Mitzvah to attend this weekend. The kid's mother asked if I had a suit/sports coat. That's a negative. I left it back at school in Atlanta with a friend. Never thought I'd need it. At any rate, the Bar Mitzvah is very formal. I need a suit, she concluded. We go suit/coat shopping and end up in the above mentioned store. Though I try hard to stay abrest in terms of clothing and style, I recently started working in an office setting (with the government) and know absolutely nothing about suits. Very few people here wear one, and it won't be YEARS until I work where we need one. The guy at the store was very helpful don't get me wrong. But Im don't really enjoy shopping (or buying anything for that matter) without knowing a little about something. At least a vague idea. The guy made me feel rather stupid, and me being a student at Georgia Tech took this rather personal. ha. But anyways, I walk out the store with a nice Versace suit. After some tailoring and adjustments/measurements, it fits me quite well and fits just as comfortable as it looks. It was costly if you ask me, but I didn't pay so I can't really argue/complain about it.
biggrin.gif
I like the suit. After leaving the store, I was destined to find a place where I could be informed about suits and possibly the latest in fashion and clothing. I always believe my clothes-shopping habits will be the end of me. I got to work and searched 'mens fashion' and 'mens clothing' under google and after a couple clicks here and there came upon this site. I just wish I would have found it earlier, for Im sure I could have found something better for the $$ I spent on the Versace. Maybe next time. So that's how I landed here. And now a question if I may so add... What's the difference between a fused suit and the other type. (I cant remember right now.) I know that one is more than the other. Also...do you guys know of any sites that give good info...in terms of types of suits, their cut, style and appearance, level of style and so forth. Im like a sponge, ready to absorb whatever I can get my eyes on. THanks all...Nice to be here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And now a question if I may so add... What's the difference between a fused suit and the other type. (I cant remember right now.) Â I know that one is more than the other. Â Also...do you guys know of any sites that give good info...in terms of types of suits, their cut, style and appearance, level of style and so forth. Â Im like a sponge, ready to absorb whatever I can get my eyes on.
Have a look here for some very basic introduction: http://www.8savilerow.com/style3.html If you really want to delve into the matter, look at this paper (section 3): http://www.dti.gov.uk/economics/paper2-owen.pdf Yes, I admit, it's getting really technical. Maybe you save it and read it in small doses.

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I migrated over from that train wreck on GQ.com. I am very interested in what people have to say on this board, and have picked up quite a bit of information on here. I'm one of those guys that has to wear suits to work everyday, so I'm always looking for ideas to spice things up. Found this site and read it quite often, though I don't post too often.

scottmag

Reaction score
I'm curious, how did y'all find the Style forum?

Maybe this could become a thread where new users introduce themselves, give us a bit of background, and most importantly, tell us how they found the forum. What does everyone think of this idea??

I too stumbled first upon the GQ forum and left screaming.  I found the Men's Health Style forum which I am active in and like overall.  Hermes led me to menessentials.com for discussions of skin care and here for style.

I am amazed at the knowledge here and am learning a lot.  I'm interested in finding some resources on understanding clothing construction.  I've picked up on things like single-needle vs. double, but i always have to do research when coming across some new terminology in a discussion.  I'll take a look at the link offered above.

Is there a resource somewhere that demonstrates, with pictures, the differences in various elements of a suit (lapels, shoulders, etc.)?  Without seeing things side-by-side I will never learn to identify what I should be looking for in a suit.  Thanks.

Scott

DC_Brit

Reaction score
Found this from another forum. It is easily the best forum I have read on clothing. Much of this information (E.g. on Vass shoes) is nowhere else I could find.
I am gradually making my way with decent clothing, and learning everything I can, both by reading and visiting the real stores whenever possible. The postings here are both informative and erudite. Great stuff. I will try and post to add any information I have.

Jay in OKC

Reaction score
Like many here, I am a refugee from the GQ Forum.  The worse that place gets (can it get much worse?), the more I enjoy this forum.  

I don't post here much because I am still very much a sartorial rookie, but I have probably learned 90% of what I know by reading the posts here.

Scottmag:  Go to Esquire.com, click on "Style" near the top of the page, then click on "Modern Mannequin".  This brings up a virtual mannequin in a suit that you can click on to learn about the different elements of a good suit.

My View

Reaction score
Greetings from the tiny island of Singapore. I have been recommended by a friend in Hong Kong.

I must say that this forum is the best I have found that talks about men's clothing. I am someone who is passionately interested in suits, shirts, shoes, ties and every other related topic. I have been greatly impressed and truly humbled by the knowledge of posters here, so I am sure my time spent here will be more for learning than anything else.

I love dressing up but unfortunately, the climate (and social convention) in Singapore dictates that suits are to be reserved only for special occasions (such as when I am the emcee for a wedding banquet) and business trips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads