1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New TV Show Heroes

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Man In Space, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I still dont know what Ali Larter's power is. the scene where she is in her car then is suddenly at the airport dressed differently didnt register any sense with me.

Well obviously her subconcious superpowered ID took over. Duh.

How exactly did you come to this conclusion? It looked like he teleported to me, just not to the "time" he thought he was going to. When he realized the mistake, he teleported back to the Tokyo subway car at the same time he left. (yeah I had to check the Tivo to make sure it was the same time)
    Remember, he can supposedly control space AND time. So its reasonable to assume that he was concentrating so hard on teleporting to NYC the first time that he neglected to specify a time of arrival. He didn't realize he was five weeks ahead of when he left until the cops mentioned it to him, and his watch was still set for his original timeline.

Unless you caught something I missed.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Unless you caught something I missed.

I interpreted it as him being able to travel thru time but during that time that he's "teleporting" he's in "time limbo", hence his coworker saying that he was missing for the past 5 weeks. Perhaps it took him a long time to get to NYC, so what appeared as instant teleportation actually took 5 weeks for it to occur and his body would be in time limbo while that time travel was occuring, altho to him it seemed instant. I'm probably reaching, but I do like the fact that the show keeps you guessing a bit and nothing is crystal clear about each character's powers.

3. Tokyo Slim

I interpreted it as him being able to travel thru time but during that time that he's "teleporting" he's in "time limbo", hence his coworker saying that he was missing for the past 5 weeks. Perhaps it took him a long time to get to NYC, so what appeared as instant teleportation actually took 5 weeks for it to occur and his body would be in time limbo while that time travel was occuring, altho to him it seemed instant. I'm probably reaching, but I do like the fact that the show keeps you guessing a bit and nothing is crystal clear about each character's powers.
    Yeah, that seems like quite a stretch dude. I mean... According to your theory, it takes a long time for Hiro to teleport from Tokyo to New York. Ok, so when he teleported back at the end of episode 2, he would have arrived BACK on the Tokyo Subway five weeks after nuclear holocaust in NYC. He is then effectively written out of the current storyline, which I can only assume will take the entire season to get to the NYC mushroom cloud stage. It was merely coincidence that the subway clock behind him showed the exact same time when he returned as when he left. I like my theory better, it works better in the storyline, isn't as needlessly complex, and follows the laws of nerd physics.

4. Tokyo Slim

By the way, we are total nerds, and its proof positive that God loves us if we ever get laid again...

5. Get Smart

not quite, I'm reaching for the theory that he can travel back and forth, but that maybe it's not an instant teleport, the way say Nightcrawler can, and he'd be able to go back to Tokyo at the moment he left because he'd already created a "time stationary point" that he could access immediately.

fuck it, i'm going to go bug my fiancee and get laid. [​IMG]

6. Get Smart

I dug last nite's episode. esp the very last scene where the cheerleader is sitting on the autopsy bed all cut open. and the presence of a villain mutant was due.

7. Tokyo Slim

Haven't seen it yet. Its on my DVR. I'll be watching it shortly.

8. Man In Space

Man In Space Well-Known Member

I dug last nite's episode. esp the very last scene where the cheerleader is sitting on the autopsy bed all cut open. and the presence of a villain mutant was due.

I screamed like a girl when they revealed her open chest cavity.

I'm just waiting to see the reaction of the date rapist who thinks he killed her when she shows up for school like nothing ever happened.

Hiro is the coolest.

9. Tokyo Slim

OK... episode went by REALLY quickly, and I didn't feel like anything actually happened. There were some cool moments, as mentioned. but all-in-all... not really action packed.

Plus... WTF was that Nissan Versa shill for? Are they not making enough money by selling traditional advertizing? Do they underestimate my intelligence? Do I ask too many questions?

Downgraded to a C this week.

10. Man In Space

Man In Space Well-Known Member

I agree, the advertising stuck out like a huge mutant sore thumb. It reminded me of the American Idol/Ford commercials.

11. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

the ending scene with the cheerleader in the morgue rules!

12. Tokyo Slim

Anyone take a good look at the medallion the black guy in the bar (with Officer Parkman) was wearing? Its the same one that appears on Claire's book, and in Sylars apartment, and maybe a few other places.

13. Get Smart

Plus... WTF was that Nissan Versa shill for? Are they not making enough money by selling traditional advertizing?.

is that even a car that's sold in US? I've never heard of it

14. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

Plus... WTF was that Nissan Versa shill for? Are they not making enough money by selling traditional advertizing? Do they underestimate my intelligence? Do I ask too many questions?

agreed. that was totally cheesy.

been trying to keep up with the show. it kinda plods along but hopefully things will speed up once they tie everyone's story lines together. love the Japanese dude. and i read it earlier in this thread but did we figure out what power the chick with convertible has? is it that she can appear in two places at once?

-Jeff

15. denning

denning Well-Known Member

So anyone have an idea about Ali Larter's power yet? There was one phrase that I caught, I can't quite remember when it was used, where it said something about being in two places at once. My theory is that she can be, hence being able to have the car set up and garage cleaned, knowing where the grave etc., etc. I still do not understand when she missed her entire day and woke up in her car, unless her consciousness left to go to her other person to do the clean up in the garage. Meh, I didn't say it was a great theory.

16. Tokyo Slim

So anyone have an idea about Ali Larter's power yet? There was one phrase that I caught, I can't quite remember when it was used, where it said something about being in two places at once. My theory is that she can be, hence being able to have the car set up and garage cleaned, knowing where the grave etc., etc. I still do not understand when she missed her entire day and woke up in her car, unless her consciousness left to go to her other person to do the clean up in the garage. Meh, I didn't say it was a great theory.

The intro to the show (3) mentioned her dangerous "alter ego" as being (a part of?) her power.

17. Tokyo Slim

There is a theory that Peter Petrelli (the guy who keeps trying to fly, even though its become fairly apparent to people with keen observational skills like us, that its not his power) will actually become Sylar (the main bad guy).

See, he can absorb bits of other people's powers when he's around them. So maybe he finds out that he can just take their brains, eat them (or process them in some way), and permanently gain part of whole of their powers. It's only episode three, and already his character arc has taken a huge swing to a much bolder, darker angle than it started out being. He punched his brother in rage two or three times this week, when stung by his betrayal at the fund-raiser. Just one episode ago, it looked like he was ready to take a backseat to his brothers ambition, perhaps this is the beginning of an emotional downward spiral for Peter Petrelli, that ends up with him becoming Sylar in the future, eating other hero's brains, and working twords his as-yet-to-be-discovered goal. He could easily travel back in time (after eating Hiro's brain) Survive being shot by Officer Parkman, have telepathic powers, fly, and etc. If that were the case, and would explain how Sylar seems to possess a very similar power to Peter Petrelli, and why the brains are missing out of all his victim's corpses, and etc.

I think that the analysis of the show might actually be more interesting on a what-if level is more entertaining than the actual show has been so far.
    Now I have to keep watching to find out if some of my other theories come to fruition.

18. Tokyo Slim

is that even a car that's sold in US? I've never heard of it

Its new, if you actually watch the commercials when the show is on, or on NBC in general, you will see the actual ad for the Nissan Versa. Its the one that satirizes a medicine commercial. Big dudes with smallcaritis or something like that. I just remember that some dude in the back seat of a subcompact gets a cake shoved into his chest when the driver leans back. Its actually a fairly clever commercial. I just prefer not to have them invade my television shows on such an obvious level.

19. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

There is a theory that Peter Petrelli (the guy who keeps trying to fly, even though its become fairly apparent to people with keen observational skills like us, that its not his power) will actually become Sylar (the main bad guy).
    Sounds like a good theory, but I'm not sure I buy it 100%. One hole in the theory is that Sylar had a picture of Nathan Petrelli in his den of crazy - insane super-powered time-traveller or no, I don't think he'd need a picture to figure out how to find his brother, even if he has come from THE FUTURE.

Another is that Sylar had some kind of sessions with papa Suresh, prior to the start of the series, before which he didn't know what he was capable of. Doesn't really sound time-travelley - sounds more like he was just a regular old serial killer until then.

Baseless prediction no. 2: Papa Suresh is still alive somewhere - if only because we see his picture on the book jacket, and it's a name actor (Erick Avari). He'll be back in one form or another.

20. Tokyo Slim

Sounds like a good theory, but I'm not sure I buy it 100%. One hole in the theory is that Sylar had a picture of Nathan Petrelli in his den of crazy - insane super-powered time-traveller or no, I don't think he'd need a picture to figure out how to find his brother, even if he has come from THE FUTURE.

Ha... never overestimate those kids from the future. The public education system...uh... gets worse. Probably couldn't find their ass with both hands.

Maybe he was just using Suresh to locate other mutants to brain-suck. But ok... hole poked in theory #2.

Agreed, I've been thinking that too.