• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Never diddle the secretary:A public service announcement from GQGeek

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I think you misunderstood globe. The impression I got is that he applies the same standards to hitting a woman that he would to hitting a man, not that he'll just hit his wife if he feels like it. One is abuse; the other is equality.

That is, at least, how I feel about it. Hitting a woman is no more wrong than hitting a man.

boy, I go away for a few minutes.....

thank you, A, this is exactly my point.

yes - I don't go around hitting men for no reason, or women. but if I had to hit a man, or a woman, I would. not having a penis doen't give you a get out of jail card.

if a person acts in a unacceptable manner, whether a man or a woman, I would address them in a similar manner. the question asked was "Do you guys really think that no matter what a "lady" (and I use the term loosely for someone that behaves as she did) does that you should always just take it?"

It would take a lot to get me to raise a fist to somebody over a verbal offense, but I cannot say that I wouldn't responsd the same way to a man or a woman. certainly, if a woman were to bring violence to me, I would respond in a similar way that I would to a man. in terms of a more realistic scenario - were a woman to address me in an abusive manner, I would probrably responsd in the same tone that I would address a man who so addressed me.

you are more than welcome to feel differently, but I am guessing that that would be indicative of a lack of experience more than a wealth of chivalry.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like how everyone attacks Globetrotter when I said it first.

smile.gif

And no, I don't advocate the beating of your wife, nor do I advocate the beating of your husband.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I like how everyone attacks Globetrotter when I said it first.

smile.gif

And no, I don't advocate the beating of your wife, nor do I advocate the beating of your husband.

dude, in 2 years I don't think we have had as much in common as in the last 24 hours.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe you are lucid dreaming.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Do you guys really think that no matter what a "lady" (and I use the term loosely for someone that behaves as she did) does that you should always just take it?

Just take it?

You called her a ***** becuase it made you feel good. Not beucase you thought it get her react how you wanted, and not becuase you felt it was better than taking it. You displayed the same type of behavior she did. The worst communicators are always the people who say what they want to say, not what other people need to hear.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ
You've got troubles.
Get your resume ready to go.
But get one more bit of that ink on your pen before you go.
Bring back the three martini lunch.

Some time ago the lady(?) who published Cosmo related her early office experiences. Fridays were something like "underwear" day. The guys ran the girls down and checked out what they were wearing. Pretty over the top and certailny unacceptable - but that is how it went in an earlier era. The girls were all very careful to wear their best on Fridays.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
being the loose cannon and all, I know I'll catch **** for this...

<===== dipped pen in company ink MANY times. No worries, maybe they were all hippie chicks.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
being the loose cannon and all, I know I'll catch **** for this... <===== dipped pen in company ink MANY times. No worries, maybe they were all hippie chicks.
Here's some **** Steve... catch it! Way to be a role model for the kids dude. Hippy chicks all turned into yuppie wives who taught their daughters how to work the system to get what they want. In this case it would be GQ's balls on a platter, his job, and all his money. Somehow this all works out to being Steve's fault in the end. Not to mention the fact that poor GQ's resume will have a big ass blank spot on it, cause he won't be able to use anyone higher up in this company as a reference... for fear of the sexual harassment issue coming up. Way to ruin our society, damn hippies.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
corporate office....

is there a history of sexual harassment at this company??

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Just take it?

You called her a ***** becuase it made you feel good. Not beucase you thought it get her react how you wanted, and not becuase you felt it was better than taking it. You displayed the same type of behavior she did. The worst communicators are always the people who say what they want to say, not what other people need to hear.

Read it again man. There was nothing she wanted to hear.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQg,

What do you expect to get in trouble about? Calling her a *****, or dipping the pen?

It doesn't sound as if your superiors are aware of the pen-dipping; but are they?

If the only offense is calling her ***** then I am surprised that this would be considered a serious offence. Is that really such a seriously offensive word? I can't imagine such a reaction if she had called you a prick.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, more people need to stand up to bogus sexual harrassment claims and threats of claims (not saying it should be you, GQG, I'm just saying...). Legally, can't you get this woman on tape admitting that the relationship was consensual?

There are always going to be people vindictive or delusional enough to really press these issues to the wall, but I think if more people called their bluffs and were willing to sling **** back in their faces, these illegitimate threats would lose a lot of their potency. There really shouldn't be all this stigma around consensual workplace relationships.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
GQg,

What do you expect to get in trouble about? Calling her a *****, or dipping the pen?

It doesn't sound as if your superiors are aware of the pen-dipping; but are they?

If the only offense is calling her ***** then I am surprised that this would be considered a serious offence. Is that really such a seriously offensive word? I can't imagine such a reaction if she had called you a prick.

They knew something was going on at the time. That was over a year ago and there hadn't been any public incidents until now (although she has let **** fly in my office). Anyway, the owners set the pace in this area and there aren't any hard rules against it.

So ya, it's calling her a ***** that i'd get in trouble for. There are 4 owners, of which I get on well with 3 but the other really doesn't like me for his own petty personal reasons. If anyone makes an issue of it, he will. He's also the one that this girl has wrapped around her little finger. I'm pretty sure she's ******* him cause up until a couple of months ago they hardly talked and now they're best friends.

Anyway I gave her a half-hearted apology this morning. I told her that "I was gonna apologize for what I said, but that it still didn't excuse the way she was speaking to me when I was trying to help solve a company problem." According to George, that would never count as an apology so it served an internal compromise on my part :p

Nothing's happened yet so maybe it'll just blow-over.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invite her to dinner so you can &quot;apologize properly&quot; and so you two can &quot;talk things through&quot;. Take a tape recorder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads