• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negotiating an entry level salary

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way to go. Getting a job right now is tough, congrats on landing one.

FWIW I was able to negotiate about $5k more than my new hire peers, but this was a few months before the recession...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
She said no, that it's a fixed offer that everybody for that position starts at, so I accepted the offer at 46k.
I used to ******* hate when companies pulled that line on me. It's such a ******* trump card. I mean, it's usually total horseshit. But companies know it works, especially in this economy. They're basically calling your bluff by doing this, and suggesting that you have no alternatives. If you don't, you can't really BS your way out of it at that point. If you do have an alternative, and the alternative is an equally attractive job with a higher salary, then you can actually let them know about the alternative. Suddenly, you have a justifiable rationale for your salary expectations. You're not just a kid asking for a random number because he wants it. The point is, the best way to negotiate is to build alternatives ahead of time (known as BATNA, or "best alternative to a negotiated agreement"). The more options you have if the negotiation doesn't work out, the less you care if it doesn't work out, and thus, the more power you have. This doesn't free you up to be a total dick, mind you. But it gives you some actual credibility in the negotiation. To the HR person, you're a wanted commodity with precedent, rather than a poor schmuck desperate for employment but getting greedy on salary. At any rate, congrats on the gig. You did the right thing in your situation. Now work hard, keep your nose to the grindstone, and all that jazz.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonystark99