• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Levi's Expert Help, Please. .

nastyandy

Reaction score
I need a Levi's expert to help me ID these as real, repros, fake, or what??. . . They were sold to me as original late 60's vintage. . .but I think they are too good to be true. They are in almost immaculate shape, still lots of indigo, and the denim is very nice, reminds me of my Corpus denim but slightly softer. I know too little about Levi's to tell, the ionly thing i can compare them to is an old vintage Big E jacket that I have, but the jacket is much more worn in, softer, and much more naturally aged. Some things that bother me about these. . .they actually say 501 on the reverse of the top button (I thought there should only be one digit, unless they are LVC which are 555??) The red line in the selvedge is very apparent, while most models I see on ebay are only white or very faint red (unless these are just not worn in enough?) And the inside rivets say LS & Co., etc., but the lettering is raised, while I think authentic rivets had the letering pressed in?? Here are some pics. . .
501button.jpg
front1.jpg
fronttop2.jpg
grain2.jpg
patch.jpg
tag4.jpg
tag1.jpg
tag2.jpg
coin pocket inside:
coinpocket.jpg
backpocketoutside.jpg
backpocketinside.jpg
arcuate.jpg
insiderivet.jpg
Sorry if I'm killing the bandwidth here, but any help is certainly appreciated, thanks in advance.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm no levi's expert but serge from the other SF pointed out that the red tab should be pure cotton vibrant red and not nylonish as yours looks...

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know **** about Levis but that tag doesn't look like it's from the 60s to me.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Those look like modern Levi's to me...
Not something from the 60's like edward mentioned =\\

nastyandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Those look like modern Levi's to me...
Not something from the 60's like edward mentioned =\\

I agree that they do not appear aged or old, but they are much better than the crap that Levi's sells currently, and selvedge.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I'm no Levi expert but I thought the selvege coin pocket shtick was fairly recent to the LVC collection.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nastyandy
I agree that they do not appear aged or old, but they are much better than the crap that Levi's sells currently, and selvedge.

Those tags aren't from the 60s. Did they even have care labels talking about machine washing and dye transfer in the 60s?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Those tags aren't from the 60s. Did they even have care labels talking about machine washing and dye transfer in the 60s?
As far as I know, that started in the (mid) 80s. These aren't old.

Cake

Reaction score
"Care instructions inside garment" were introduced in the early Seventies. Looking at the back tag which has a style number (not 0117 incidentally) and the washing instructions, yours look like some sort of re-issue. I am thinking the 1992 generic re-issue which had coin pocket selvage, but that came with a crotch rivet and was in general a poor re-issue with a weird assortment of hardware, hence the moniker "generic". I think there was a release of the 501 in the late 60s which had a coin pocket selvage but that is very very rare, and you'd be laughing all the way to the bank if you had that one. If this were a '66 repro, then where is the shallow arcuate? Good '66 repros would also reproduce the original 501 tag, sans XX and sans the style number. That waist button looks off, and coupled with the raised rivet lettering, you may have some sort of fake repro. Enjoy in good health.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads