1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

All those great teams in the playoffs and the two teams I don't particularly care if they win a ring make it to the finals.

2. kissmyjazz

kissmyjazz Well-Known Member

MIA has yet to be tested seriously in the play-offs. 4-1 win for SAS.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Interesting and kinda eerie fact floating online:

1 person likes this.
  4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

4-2 Spurs
    This year Spurs have been playing sharper and with more focus than Miami and also faced tougher rivals.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I think it's a toss-up on who's going to win. I mean really, why would one want to bet against Miami?

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

What I find risible about these arguments is that they assume that the team that hasn't "been tested seriously" couldn't be tremendously better than their competition*. That's on top of it just being an intrinsically weak claim.

*I'm not saying the Heat are, FWIW.

7. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

The fact SAS faced tougher rivals is only to Spurs credit in this context not to discredit Miami. Just saying they showed some great basketball this year. But you're maybe right, it is not the best argument one way or the other.

4-2 is a mix of my wishful thinking and gut feeling. It is just a feeling I have looking at the Heat. To me they look a bit more sloppy than last two years. I might be wrong though. They still play great basketball and again we will have superb finals with some great offensive plays on both sides.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

id like durant to put on 10-15lbs of muscle so that he could play that 4 position more effectively on Defense especially

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

that was a very nice double foul

Anyway it's not only that Durant is skinny, he doesn't defend well either. So it's not only matter of him putting some muscle.

Besides he doesn't have to do that even if you want to go very small. You just have to play him with another 6'8 F like Leonard who can both shoot and defend some PFs. Or tweener like Kirilenko or Derrick Williams.

Alternatively go smaller but not very small. Keep Ibaka at 5 and play him with stretch 4 in the mold of Robert Horry/Donyell Marshall/Tolliver someone who can guard 4 and space the floor.

10. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

I don't blame Brooks overall for the Spurs series. But did you not read my post? If Perry Jones or Thabo are on Manu on that play, instead of freaking Fisher, no way Manu gets a wiiiiiiiiiiide open 3.

I give Scott Brooks a lot of credit for trying new stuff. But too often it seemed like he was just trying stuff randomly, with no thought process behind he. I'll start Collison now...now he'll be a DNP. I'll go from starting Sefolosha to him being a DNP. I'll randomly adopt a 100% switching defense in Game 6, but not adjust whatsoever in-game when you could see all the huge effects it had on their defense and rebounding.

Mike Brown????? You gotta be kidding man. Mike Brown has shown pretty definitively over the last few years that even if he has a great basketball mind (almost definitely false on offense), he has no leadership skills whatsoever.

I think he should def gain some muscle, not as much for defensive purposes, but to assert himself better against smaller defenders (Tony Allen, Danny Green).

He is actually a really good defender, or at least was in the regular season. Not as much in the playoffs, and he was very poor this series. But that shouldn't define him overall.

11. Brothersport

Spurs in 6, I'd say. But it's so freaking hard to count out the Heat.

I expect Tiago to be basically unplayable again, and for Wade to be much much much better on offense and defense. Therefore I expect fewer open shots for Danny Green. SA's big 3 is also a year older, and a bit less capable of playing big minutes and doing well.

But Kawhi is tonsss better than last year, LBJ might be a tiny bit worse (whether from fatigue or what), their bench is pretty much done (Battier, Haslem), you can't trust Rashard at all, and Chalmers has been horrible recently.

It's actually pretty similar to the matchup from OKC. MIA has way better coaching though.

12. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought tends to happen.

We barely saw lineups that included both Adams and Ibaka or Adams and Collison. I think that gives you the necessary defense on guys like Duncan and Diaw, without sacrificing too much offense. Brooks just seemed to go either or. Either full on offense with Fisher, or full on defense with Perkins.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

You're serious?

Gregg Popovich is one of the five best coaches in NBA history.

14. Brothersport

MIA coaching > OKC coaching, not SA.

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Ah, OK

16. Brothersport

Pop is probably somewhere from 1st to 3rd all-time, right? depending on how you wanna rank phil and red auerbach.

17. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i was clearly kidding

18. Brothersport

19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member