1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

the scary thing is that the thunders can get even more efficient

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I'm optimistically realistic ;)

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Brooks is not the coach for this team. He's not dynamic and creative enough. He was shit on by a very marginal Spoelstra (my opinion, yes) running a Pat Riley system on his behalf.

A Phil Jackson mentality could get them playing championship ball but not the dynamic they have now. This team is not better than the one that faced Miami. Harden is gone. They need an edge which Brooks won't ever provide. A George Karl could do it, without naming untouchable coaches. Maybe a few others. I rate Brad Stevens really highly, he might, but Brooks should go way before Westbrook.

4. indesertum

imo the young'ns have really stepped up. jeremy lamb, reggie jackson, steven adams, perry jones. they've filled harden and martin's empty spot really nicely. they're a much better team than last year.

i'd love to see a coach that's into a triangle offense coach them. they have the perfect pieces

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

They have a different team with solid additions sans Harden. S Adams, I am convinced, will be a really good player. Jones, Lamb, Jackson are all solid role players but Harden is elite.

I'd never take those three combined over Harden any day. Today, Harden would probably start, he would have to. Adams over Perkins. Jackson and Thabo on the bench, and allow KD RW and JH run with the 2nd unit in turn... That's a championship squad.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Question for the NYK fans or anyone who watched their last 5 games - does Amare look like he's going to stick in the starting lineup? And does it look like he can handle the minutes?

I've got a desperation slot open on my fantasy roster and he's been looking quite good over the last week...or is it stupid to even look in the Knicks' direction? I only need to spot start him for a week

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I have watched the games and can't offer any guidance. The Knicks lineup is a revolving door this season.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

don't do it. andrea baragnani basically sunk my team from playoff contention this year. i know its not amare. but only carmelo has been consistent this year... everyone else on the knicks sucks because of how up and down they are.

note: bargs was also a fantasy underrated stud at one point (and one of my most proud fantasy waiver wire pickups ever). at one point i had baragnani AND andrew bynum putting up huge numbers but then reality hit.

2nd side note: having knicks players in fantasy (i also had hardaway jr at one point) made me actually watch a lot of knicks games this year. this season was a joy to hate-watch the knicks as a whole (as a celtics fan), but wasn't healthy for my soul.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

That's not how leaving it works ...

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's what I initially thought.

11. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:Ok, against my better judgement, I'll bite. Even if I'm taking you at face value and this truly is your opinion, it reflects pure ignorance toward NBA basketball. It 's like you're saying you think the world is flat and that that's just your opinion and you don't care about any facts that state the contrary. I really don't understand how you can think LBJ's game against the Bobcats looked easy when, as stats have pointed out, defensive efficiency is up across the league and the Bobcats happen to be ranked 7th in defensive efficiency this season. How exactly are you supposed to guard LeBron, if you'll be so kind to indulge me? He was hitting his jumper all night long and that's the weakest part of his game. So do you just play him tight and set yourself up for the blow-by and the tomahawk throwdown at the rim? Even if the D is disciplined and the defensive rotations are sound, LBJ is a great passer and will find the open man. So how would you guard him? Mind you, the Bobcats eventually started double-teaming him the second he crossed halfcourt and he was still draining shots. And don't you dare bring up some nonsense about how hand-checking should still be allowed. That's a cop-out.
    Quote:I think there are really only 2 realistic scenarios for trading Westbrook. One, as someone mentioned and that Bill Simmons brought up a couple years ago, is trading RW for Rajon Rondo straight up. This scenario is exceedingly unlikely seeing as how Rondo still isn't playing at an elite level after his ACL tear, but he's getting there. He's also on a very favorable contract for the time being. The other scenario is one that Zach Lowe mentioned in a Grantland article a couple weeks ago. He suggested packaging Westbrook and Kendrick Perkins for Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic (plus whatever draft picks and cash considerations are needed to make the trade work). The Thunder would probably push for K-Love instead of Pekovic, but the T-wolves would probably balk at that trade. Either way, Rondo or Rubio would be a better compliment to Durant, but I just don't think the Thunder are getting enough in return for giving up RW, so I think he stays put.

12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Would it be crazy to trade Westbrook for a ton of draft picks? I'm in camp he hurts more than he helps.

13. indesertum

They already got a bunch good youngns

I think actually the thunder could develop Rubio really well. Work on his shots over the summer

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Westbrook for this upcoming #1 would be intriguing. But I'm of the opinion that as deep as this draft is supposedly is, there is no super can't miss prospect like Duncan or Lebron - I've seen Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Embiid and I'm not wowed in the sense that they are jaw droppingly good...the last college players that made me say holy shit when I saw them play were Rose, Durant and Blake Griffin, and these guys don't seem to be there yet

1 person likes this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

The hell is going on with the top seeds bombing lately?

Pacers lost 4 in a row and 5-5 in their last 10. Miami is on a 3-game losing streak and OKC is on 2 going 5-5 on their last 10 as well. Spurs leapfrogged over all three of them for the first place.

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

cue little Stevie to start posting LOL!!

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

It's spelled "straight".

2 people like this.
  18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the trade to do is Westbrook for Kevin Love straight up!

reggie jackson looked great as a starting PG especially since he was so good at setting KD up (remember KD was killing it during the time westbrook was out, partly because he had a proper PG feeding him to open jumpers).

it seems like Love would be a perfect complement to ibaka/KD because he could create space when needed (by standing on the perimeter, or posting up then kicking out to KD or ibaka vice versa)

Reggie jackson, lamb/sefalosia, KD, Love, Ibaka is something.

You could basically unleash Westbrook in minnesota and have him play 2 guard with rubio. He'd probably score like 35pts a game taking 20+ shots. lol.

19. indesertum

KD as 3, Ibaka as 4, Love as 5?

it seems like overload at the bigs

i think they just need a good passing pg along with some other assets

1 person likes this.
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I didn't pick him up because his games fell on days when I already had full rosters. Otherwise I would have. It seems like he's going to get minutes, whether via the starting linup or not. I took K Middleton instead, the Bucks have 5 games this week.

This said, the Knicks rotation has been a mess and he could lose the momentum in a heartbeat. I was willing to take the chance.

I watched the Wiggins kid play twice. He's good but didn't blow me away.

Not a chance Minn would bite on that. The lines Love is putting up are pretty untouchable.

Against my better judgement I will respond, but I don't really want want to revisit it. Your point is valid, though.

I don't believe he can really be guarded because the way the rules are structured and favoritism won't allow for it. IMO to be effective against him you have to body him up, distract him, get in his grill to bother him. If you do that he has less bandwidth to think about passes and generally make decisions. When he does get to the rim you need to see him on his ass. You can't play him that way today without getting insta-fouls called on you. LeBron is not shy to exaggerate contact. You can't really go for steals against him for the same reasons.

The league wants stars and to have its stars draw big lines. It's what attracts fans, tv audiences and also generates highlights to add to that feedback loop.

Since we live in this world, and not one where he could actually be gotten after, the best I've seen to date was Jimmy Butler in last year's playoffs. That kid was pretty incredible against him. I think LeBron shot 34% yesterday against the Bulls. I didn't see it, but I would not be surprised if it was because of Butler.

As a team, San Antonio played him the only way you can the way the league is. You have to give him the jumper and stop the penetration. Pop was right. If it wasn't for that idiot Manu he'd have another ring for it.

So in essence, you have a guy of his caliber shooting open jumpers. He gets played this way a lot now. So ya, when you get open looks like that all the time to protect from penetration, it looks pretty easy when he hit the shots. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.