• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think rfx means stupid not lazy

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly RFX, I don't have a real strong opinion on Green, I'm mostly just repeating what I've read about him. Anyway, as much as Green might have a upside there are a ton of super athletic projects out there and not so many guys that can play center well.

From ProBasketBallTalk:

"Jeff Green is a quality backup combo forward, but he was overrated for a while and people are really taking notice of his weak defense and poor shot selection. He makes up for some of that with athleticism. He's not a starter, not yet anyway, but as a backup to Paul Pierce he's an improvement over Marquis Daniels. Marginally. Maybe Green is someone who could someday develop enough to slide into Pierce's starting spot when he walks away. But this is a guy with a PER below the league average, he's not that special. And his rookie contract is up in a couple years."

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn the celtics are working like dogs in this game. they can't keep playing this hard or they'll run out of gas.

and that female NBA official sucks. she really is bad at her job. oooommygoood she sucks (and she made a ****** cal "for the celtics")... and now they reverse it! hahaha the reversed the *****'s bad call. usually the refs will stick up for their own... but she's that bad.

guster

Reaction score
RFX45;4166822 said:
Oh yeah, of course when KG retires he'll be a starter unless they get someone better. I could have sworn that was obvious. I thought you meant now while KG is playing, of course he won't take his spot but they could easily put KG on the center position and have green be a PF. That's KG's spot as a starter right there and before you take it over board, no I am not saying that will happen for sure.

Garnett cannot play center anymore for long strecthes. His post up game is the most diminished part of his game. And defensively he is much better guarding a PF and calling the defense. He is a excellent passer facinf the basket and a lot of that is lost if he is just posting up. Even this year with all the injuries, The Celtics put Davis at center and keep KG at PF when those 2 are together. So KG moving to center is not a viable solution.

Celtics are #29 in league in rebounding and their best rebounder and middle defender got traded. Maybe this last injury is worse than we know, coupled with Ainge not feeling like they will keep him this summers. But for a team that felt they could not win championship unless they got a lot better at center - they just removed their biggest inside presence.

The Celtics beat the Lakers in '08 because LA was soft inside. Gasol, & company have gotten a lot tougher in recent years. Celtics just traded a tough inside defender and rebounder for a soft center. Not only did they take a big step backwards against LA but who stops D Howard now? Howard often says Perkins was his toughest defender.

Shaq is a decent option for limited minutes. J ONeill may not play again. Rumor is that AInge will go after Murphy when he is released or someone like Powe for extra rebounding help.

Green helps the 2nd team of celtics with scoring. Robinson had some moments but Ainge said yesterday that Robinson needs minutes to show what he can do as a scorer. So no loss there and Celtics 2nd team just got better. But they got much weaker inside. Maybe this helps them competer against the Bulls and Heat but don't see anyway they can now stay with LA or SA without the strong inside game.

guster

Reaction score
Also...rumor that Rashhed Wallace may be back? That's funny. He was out of shape last year when he was was still playing. He rebounded a little in the playoffs after KG called him out for it in the 1st round. But he sucked down low for most of the season.

Also....Don't get M. Daniels being sold for cash?? He was best defender on that 2nd team. They dumped 2 guys to Cleveland so they had roster space to keep Daniels. Ainge must be clearing cap space for some free agent signings?. Now or has he given up and is looking at FAs this summer?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guster;4168513 said:
Originally Posted by RFX45
Garnett cannot play center anymore for long strecthes. His post up game is the most diminished part of his game. And defensively he is much better guarding a PF and calling the defense. He is a excellent passer facinf the basket and a lot of that is lost if he is just posting up. Even this year with all the injuries, The Celtics put Davis at center and keep KG at PF when those 2 are together. So KG moving to center is not a viable solution.

Celtics are #29 in league in rebounding and their best rebounder and middle defender got traded. Maybe this last injury is worse than we know, coupled with Ainge not feeling like they will keep him this summers. But for a team that felt they could not win championship unless they got a lot better at center - they just removed their biggest inside presence.

this is Danny Ainge doing a "theo epstein". they are using advanced metrics and analysis to dictate team philosophy. 29th in rebounding is overall rebounding, but the team philosophy is to disregard the offensive rebound entirely - because according to analysis its a low percentage/reward play. their defensive rebounding numbers are great. Also they did the area/zone defending analysis with Perk (similar to UZR in baseball), and i guess his ratings are way down (obviously due to his recovering from ACL surgery). So they hypothesized that brining in more offense (Green and Kristic) would make up for the currently diminished defense and no offense that Perk provided.

the thing is... using advanced statistical analysis looks smart and can make you look like a genius if it works out, but ultimately its no guarantee just like in baseball.

I'm just holding out that ainge is a great evaluator of talent and knows when someone is undervalued like green and even kristic.

it was scary watching the C's work with an 8 man roster last night. just like the lakers game I was more concerned that a starter would get gassed and do something stupid (like get injured or get in a fight) which almost happened last night in denver.

you could just see Kenyon martin seething (literally in fever) ready to knock someone's head off.

guster

Reaction score
LawrenceMD;4168616 said:
guster;4168513 said:
this is Danny Ainge doing a "theo epstein". they are using advanced metrics and analysis to dictate team philosophy. 29th in rebounding is overall rebounding, but the team philosophy is to disregard the offensive rebound entirely - because according to analysis its a low percentage/reward play. their defensive rebounding numbers are great. Also they did the area/zone defending analysis with Perk (similar to UZR in baseball), and i guess his ratings are way down (obviously due to his recovering from ACL surgery). So they hypothesized that brining in more offense (Green and Kristic) would make up for the currently diminished defense and no offense that Perk provided.

Good insight on Ainge using the analysis. I always am less concerned with the rebounding numbers and put more weight to the 2nd part of your analysis (Perkins Defense deteriorating). But with that said, it is interesting that the Celtics were dominant on defense in '07/08 (championship years) and they also ranked 4th in rebunds. They still need to prevent 2nd chance rebounds for the other team and they struggles with that last year against the Lakers with Pekins out.

So Perkins not playing up to par and now hurt again, along with impending free agency probably led Ainge to do the deal. And he gets future 1st rounder along with very good player in Green, Might be a great trade in the long run. But if Shaq cannot stay healthy in playoffs, Celtic fans will be all over Ainge.

Some big moves this season in the NBA but in the end, don't see enough that changes the preseason outlook of Heat/Lakers matchup. The Bulls and Spurs have been pleasant surprises to be in serious championship talk. I hope I am wrong as I am among the vast majority rooting against the Heat but they have so much talent. Especially when Miller gets healthier. The interesting thing will be if Labron can be a team guy that can win a championship or will he have to have the ball for long strecthes on every possesion. They won't beat the lakers if he is what he has been in the past against the very best teams.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem with the Heat is that in the regular season they still come into a game, play well at the start, and then just inexplicably **** the bed. We saw that last night at Chicago. Lebron and Wade go into god mode, their teammates become even more passive, and Spo stands there and scratches his head.

I think the two elite teams that are the best at sticking to a scheme and keeping a consistent effort and focus are Boston and SA. Right now I believe they are the two best teams

I would put LA in the conversation if their defenders are right and they just stop coasting, and the Heat if they can fix the problem above.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boston and Miami lost last night, so there is a reason to celebrate!!!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doesn't look like they called that, though. right? please, right?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Give Bosh a break, he is just looking for an excuse for his 1-18 shooting last night.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads