• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dad died on Wednesday

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
No, about 8 yrs ago. He's had 3 heart attacks and two strokes. Fortunately, one stroke happened right outside the hospital. He was there for treatment after having stints put in. He just turned around and walked (stumbled) back in. The other happened when he was home with my mom. That one was pretty massive. My mom called an ambulance. We live about 1 mile away from the hospital. He had some damage for about 6 months, but is 90-something percent now. My mom aged a lot though because of it...

whoa, when my dad got shot almost 20 years ago the thought of losing someone in an instant was overwhelming emotionally. hope your dad has more miles in his tank. (my dad survived the gunshot, thankfully, and we're still pissing each other off
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by Teacher
It's natural for us to have these guilty feelings after we lose someone close to us, or even when reminded of these people's mortality. After my brother's suicide in January, I rode myself very, very hard for not being a better big brother and protecting him. I sank into a pretty nasty depression that I'm still clawing my way out of (I'm going to see a shrink on Monday, months later than I should have). But I've learned that we should, as much as we can, focus on the positive. Pining for what never happened won't change anything, but warm memories can soften these difficult times and begin the healing.

wow, teach. I sincerely hope you get over your loss soon.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
wow, teach. I sincerely hope you get over your loss soon.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, but thanks sincerely for the sentiment.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much it means to offer my condolences, but you have them. I had to deal with a death recently and I think the best advice given to me was to do good in times of bad. It's really a great way to honor someone by helping others out, or to change something you do on a daily basis, no matter how small, that really is a positive change in honor of your father.

Aries

Reaction score
Please accept my condolences.

Originally Posted by haganah
Not sure how much it means to offer my condolences, but you have them. I had to deal with a death recently and I think the best advice given to me was to do good in times of bad. It's really a great way to honor someone by helping others out, or to change something you do on a daily basis, no matter how small, that really is a positive change in honor of your father.

Sounds like great advice.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

Agree in both aspects. My condolences mean little; yet I do hope you morn as it is a part of grieving. It is natural.

And to better ones self in the name of someone you cared a great deal about is a wonderful thing; to help others is that much greater.

I consider myself young; and because of events in my life as well as candid shows of emotion like this thread, I've headed the advice of those older and wiser than I and taken time to appreciate my family. I am a better person for it. Appreciating those around you makes life that much better.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really don't know what you have until it's gone. My condolences.

Surfrider

Reaction score
I know it doesn't mean much, coming an intangible persona that, as far as you are concerned, is nothing more than a small jumble of pixels, but know that I am truly sorry for your loss, sir.

oroy38

Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear this, and my condolences go out to you and your family. Nothing we say can possibly assuage the sadness you feel, but know that there are others who know the way you feel and sympathize with you.

My grandfather recently passed away, and he's the one that taught me all that it was to be a gentleman when I was a young boy. Everything from etiquette, how to dress, and how to live life. I've never really appreciated my father all that much, but after he passed away I quickly realized that he won't be around forever, and I also realized how much he's done for me. I agree with your sentiments to cherish every moment with your father, or mother for that matter. We don't really appreciate things until we've lost them. Just because they've been around forever doesn't mean they will be. A sad truth of life, but one we must take in stride.

the.chikor

Reaction score
My sincere condolences Bob. I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago, but, thankfully, my father survived and recovered. Thank you for sharing with us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads