• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum Calf Appreciation Thread

OREO

Reaction score
Thanks for those pics! i'v been looking at those Lobbs for quite some time but i haven't decided between the William 2 or the Camberely model. I'm still confused though between the Parisian brown museum calf and dark brown museum calf. When i saw Parisian brown in person at the London store it didn't look like it had any variation in colour ('mottling') compared to dark brown. But the colour tones of your parisian brown are awesome!

samiur

Reaction score
OzzyJones why do you say the leather on your brown Meermin is poor? Any specific quality problem I should look out for?

I have placed an order for plum museum calf by Meermin, wondering if I should cancel that.

Does anyone know if there is any other brand that makes museum calf/radica shoes by Ilcea (or Haas?) I only know JL, Vass MTO, Kent Wang, Meermin and Gravati (quite a huge selection)

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from KW thread.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OzzyJones why do you say the leather on your brown Meermin is poor?  Any specific quality problem I should look out for?

I have placed an order for plum museum calf by Meermin, wondering if I should cancel that.

Does anyone know if there is any other brand that makes museum calf/radica shoes by Ilcea (or Haas?) I only know JL, Vass MTO, Kent Wang, Meermin and Gravati (quite a huge selection)

I think it may have been in the former Ilceas dying days and they were sending out lower quality stuff. Meermin being Meermin just used it anyway. A lot of what looks like grade 3 leather found its way into my shoes. Disappointing considering it was the first time they'd used the stuff! Anyway, The new Ilcea owner has been on this thread stating they've sorted the quality issues and Meermin have a lot more experience with the material so I wouldn't worry any more than you always should when buying Meermin, ime! :D

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my contribution attempt to the Topic with my pair of Lopez Loafers in Parisian Brown Museum Calf ..

cgo

Reaction score
Wurger,

you can have my JL museum calf if you fit in a 7E :) (which I think you dont)

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
The pics I originally posted were of the shoes when they were brand new, now after a year, they look like this. I thought you guys would be interested to see how it wears.. I'm quite confused as to the exact colour of the Parisian brown museum calf myself to be honest, sometimes it looks darker sometimes lighter depending quite a lot on natural lighting.

Also, wurger, I know they are expensive, but if you would just save up for it, I think you would find it to be the best shoe buy you ever made! I was looking for a pair of double monks and was about to pull the trigger on the crocket and jones when I found these and I was just so mesmerized, I decided to save some more before buying them and now I look at any other pair of plain brown shoes and I think to myself, thank god I waited to buy these!!!

Sorry the last pic isn't too clear, I was just posing with the bag for someone who wanted to see how big it is haha.

cgo

Reaction score

Also, wurger, I know they are expensive, but if you would just save up for it, I think you would find it to be the best shoe buy you ever made!

I am sure money is that the issue for Wurger and I may dare say some of his shoes probably cost more than the JL :)

Having owned several JL museums, I do agree that JL museum is really nice though. Due to fit issue I am sadly selling most of my JLs (including the brown one above)

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mark Lee Jin Yi Actually they have aged quite well as I can see from these photos. I have the Parisian Brown Museum Calf Lopez shoe, and you are right about the color of these, when I take the photo they look so much darker and different to the naked eye, sometime they just appear washed out in color, really hard to catch that on mobile phone camera most of us uses.

I see you took some effort to cream&wax them for the shooting, but there isn't really much crease or wear. Hope you topyed them or put some shoe segs at least, as resoling cost around 400-500 USD including shipping to Northampton and back ..

cgo

Reaction score

thanks Chris, it's mainly there isn't an online vendor for JLP, and for the money I will spend on a pair of Lobbs, I can nearly buy a pair of St. Crispins. Btw, Chris, you probably told me this before, you get your Lobbs while travelling or online?

Hi Richard,

a bit of both, though primarily online. Yeah I agree while JL is nice I find that their 7000 and 8000 last dont really work for me...rather spend on StC and Bestetti :)

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
I'm so sorry wurger I didn't mean to, hope no offense is taken. I am a student you see studying in london and I have to save to buy these things! Haha.

@Nikola, I have a routine where I condition and wax the shoes abit, but mostly I just bring them into the boutique and they do it for me for free, the service is really good!

@wurger, the price of lobbs is crazy I agree, I don't think I'll ever buy another pair to be honest. I am studying law so I have to wear black shoes with black suits, and i just cannot fathom spending JL prices on black shoes/black museum calf that can't really be seen:/

Chris! I love those shoes they are the chigwells right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics