• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum Calf Appreciation Thread

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin dark brown MTO#1. The poor quality Ilcea leather unfortunately. Worn about 15 times now

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully get another sunny day tomorro and I'll try to get some decent shots. Fwiw I really like the new gold museum; I think it'll age beautifully

samiur

Reaction score
Many thanks to wurger for posting the Navy museum calf shoes by Kent Wang, those are the exact shoes I am thinking of buying.

I own 2 pairs of museum calf shoes (pics to follow after the rainstorm): 1) used JL tan color - very rich mottled effect, visibly uneven pattern in room lightning, absolutely gorgeous under bright sunlight; 2) "Burgundy" Radica (which presumably refers to Ilcea's radica...but it can mean other things too) Gravati shoes (sold by Beren Shoes) - looks like black/dark brown in room condition. Under moderate sunlight there is a "hint" of burgundy here and there over the dark brown "body". I am not sure whether the difference in mottled effect is due to the JL being second hand and thus somewhat aged, or because JL uses better quality leather

My question to you, sir, is: do the navy shoes show the mottled in room lightning? Further, do they look navy under room lightning, or black (as I see from my monitor)?

Thank you

Samiur

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The photos on Kent's site is very accurate, as when I first got them, there is no way you can tell that there is any mottling. I had to apply some renovateur, realised some polishing is coming off, to speed that up I washed the shoe with soap to remove any black/navy polish.

and reapply renovateur after the shoes are dry, reapply navy cream polish to get a mottled effect.

So mottling in room lighting, and it's navy when you have a pair of black shoes next to it, but it's pretty dark.

samiur

Reaction score
Wurger, thanks for the detailed response. May I ask if you own any other pair of museum calf shoes? Do you regret buying the Kent Wang (since the Signature mottled effect is so diminished)?

Further, are you satisfied with the mottled effect after the Navy shoe cream?

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Kent Wang but it bugs me beyond words how they have dimmed down the mottled effect. It seems all their shoes have the flat smooth appearance (except the Sienna monk)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads