• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am moving in about a month from an apartment in Northern Virginia to a condo in the District of Columbia.  Most of my furniture are hand me downs from my parents, and I plan on buying new furniture for my new place as soon as possible.  This situation leaves me the following two options:

1. Sell as much of the old furniture as possible and have the movers move the rest to Goodwill or the Salvation Army before they move the rest of my stuff to my new place.  This option has the advantage of making delivery of my new furniture very easy, but has the disadvantage of leaving me without furniture for the 2-3 months (at minimum) it takes for my new furniture to arrive.

2. Move my old furniture to my new place.  This option has the advantage of allowing me to have furniture while I wait for my new furniture to arrive, but the disadvantage of having to figure out a way to get rid of the old furniture before the new furniture is delivered.

I have gone back and forth weighing these two options. Any advice from those who have recently moved (and even the $.02 of those who haven't) is appreciated.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the latter. Furniture ordering is tricky business in terms of timing. They say it'll be 2 months and it ends up being 4. Also, it shouldn't too tough to get rid of the furniture -- I'd ask Theodore's if they'll remove the old furniture as part of the deal, perhaps for a fee (Mastercraft used to do that). Otherwise, there are always private moving and trash removal companies you can hire. If you live in a residential area with yards where people put trash out in front (sounds like not), you can schedule "bulk" trash pick up with the DC gov't. I think they allow each resident up to 3 bulk pickups per year. Call 202/727-1000 for more info and scheduling.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Yeah, it's no fun to be without furniture for a long time. Our house flooded back in 1993 (2 1/2 ft of water). Needless to say, we had to get rid of A LOT of stuff. For the three months or so that we were remodeling the house, we moved into an apartment with the bare minimums. I was young, so I kind of viewed it as a nice little adventure. But I can remember staying a couple of nights at the house and eating there on top of ice chests with a floodlight to see. Granted you won't be that bare minimum, but I would suggest keeping at least some of your current furniture to hold you over. Good luck with the move.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterpeter2