• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morocco - make suggestions for my last-minute trip

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flying into Casablanca, taking the train to Fez (of Fes), and . . . . ?

What else do you suggest? I've got 3 days

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casablanca is pretty underwhelming. Marrakech would be a better place to spend a day or two.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dug the Roman ruins at Volubilis which is relatively close to Fes. Fun fact about them: near the beginning of Patton when he recalls his past lives, he's at Volubilis.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just flying into Casablanca - don't plan on staying very long.

Looks like I'm headed to Fes, then ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had some pretty good food in Casablanca

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm back. Met a guy on the train who was headed to Fes (to sell the merchants material he imports from China, which is his regular business). He helped me figure out where to go, so I went to:

Fes for one day. Hired a guide, I walked him to death. He said I was the first tourist who ever made him tired (incidentally, I've been limping along with a cane LOL). Eight hours of walking later, I had seen all of Fes that I needed to see. Interesting place - I enjoyed it, I recommend if you go you stay at one of the Riads. I stayed at Riad Louna, it was wonderful and cheap. I also went to Berber doctor who tried to prescribe me opium, so if that's your thing . . . . Lots of donkey **** everywhere, so if that's not your thing . . . .

Went from there to Rabat on the first train in the morning. Spent the day in Rabat. Nice place, interesting casbah painted like the Greek island villages (without the sparkling water though). Good food. Interesting night market full of crap you don't need. Interesting museums. All in all a fine place.

From there, I went to Casablanca, looked around for a few hours, saw the big mosque, hit the road.

What set this trip off from many I've been on was the quality of the people I encountered. Other than the scam artists in the tourist section of the medina, everyone was so fantastically nice it was almost startling. Keep in mind I live much of the time in North Carolina - it's not like people there are rude. However, this is the first trip I've ever been on where an elderly couple in my train car fed me (and fed me, and fed me) from their lunch, where another family I met on the train offered to put me up for the night (and did, in Rabat), etc., etc., etc. Trust me, I'm not naturally charming . . . .

The people were among the nicest of anywhere I've ever been, and this was about country no. 50 for me. A lot of my travel has been in the "3rd world" and people are usually pretty nice, but Moroccans are at the upper end of the scale.

Also, Morocco is dirt cheap. My dinner in Fes (at my hotel) was about $35-$40, and more than worth it, but the most I paid for anything to eat other than that was about $6, and it was usually around $2. Four hour train from Casablanca to Fes was maybe $25-$30? Taxi rides were usually $2 - $3. I paid my guide the most he had ever been paid - he didn't ask for it, I just thought he was a good guide - grand total: 40 euros.

So, there you have it. If you can tolerate a moderate level of human poverty, donkey ****, and shady characters trying to sell you rugs and knock-off Hugo Boss, I recommend it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
. . . knock-off Hugo Boss, I recommend it.

**** man, I'm taking the red eye out tonight!

Seriously, though, Morocco has been on my list for years for travel. Why were you there for such a short period of time? Would you recommend going there during this time of the year as far as weather is concerned?

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sic Semper
Marrakech is mandatory. Next time.

I stayed there for a week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite places.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for bumping old thread but gf and i plan on visiting this spring break ...

any suggestions? tips?

we plan on flying from DCA to Paris. then from Paris to Casablanca. then we will get a guide and spend majority of time in Marrakech then Fes then back out to Paris and to DCA. total of about 10 days with 7 days in morocco

also is it safe? and we are both korean ... does that help or hurt us haha?

whenwe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
sorry for bumping old thread but gf and i plan on visiting this spring break ...

any suggestions? tips?

we plan on flying from DCA to Paris. then from Paris to Casablanca. then we will get a guide and spend majority of time in Marrakech then Fes then back out to Paris and to DCA. total of about 10 days with 7 days in morocco

also is it safe? and we are both korean ... does that help or hurt us haha?

Like others have mentioned, Casablanca is a bit underwhelming, more exciting than Tangier, but less so than Marrakech.

In general, I would say Morocco is a safe country so long as you are aware of your surrounding. There will always be pickpockets so just be aware. I don't know if you have traveled to other parts of North Africa or the Middle East, but as you can probably imagine most of the people aren't used to seeing Koreans. So expect the typical comments you'd get in similar places. On my last trip to Morocco I had a Japanese friend with me, and the worst she experienced was strangers yelling out "nihao" at her.

In Marrakech, make sure you eat at the food stalls that come out at night in the Djeema el Fna.

I don't know how adventurous you are, but a trip to the Sahara is always worth it. I traveled through the Atlas mountains into the desert and camped with some Berber nomads last time I was there. If you can do anything like that I highly recommended it. I found the people in general to be very warm, overall it is a wonderful experience.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great thanks for your help. do you think its necesary to have a guide with us through out the 7 day trip? or only in certain places

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i will be in morocco for 7 days. i have a guide and transportation and hotels all covered. my gf and i need to pay for lunches, beverages/water, tip for guide, and spending money.

how much would we need? we dont want extravagant food choices but something decent/normal. would 500 US each be too much to budget?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads