• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milk

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
laugh.gif

You make fun, but "˜bulls milk' is considered a delicacy in some countries.

Jon.

we chinese make soup out of the spigot of the "bulls' milk" if you know what i mean.
crazy.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
not really. but i am involved in a little firm that produces soymilk. as i understand it, we can produce soymilk that tastes exactly like cow's milk, all we need are butterfat, some flavorings and a little corn oil.

...and a tiny, tiny milking machine...

sybaritical

Reaction score
Anyone read Patrick Holford 's optimum nutrition bible? Pretty heavyweight dude, but I'm kind of coming around to his opinion that Milk is for cows and not humans and that drinking it is ultimately bad for your system.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sybaritical
Anyone read Patrick Holford 's optimum nutrition bible? Pretty heavyweight dude, but I'm kind of coming around to his opinion that Milk is for cows and not humans and that drinking it is ultimately bad for your system.

dr. spock also strongly discouraged parents from giving their kids cows milk.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
laugh.gif

You make fun, but "˜bulls milk' is considered a delicacy in some countries.

Jon.

cow.jpg

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't read that book but I've heard that about milk. I think we are the only species to consume other mammal's milk. I have actually tried to get away from milk altogether but haven't been able to do so.

There is nothing like cold milk and my homemade chocolate chip cookies.
inlove.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but ricemilk and soymilk are gross (makes my throat itch - I think I'm allergic).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
About 6 months or a year ago (as I get older, my sense of relative chronology turns increasingly to ****) the Sunday NY Times Magazine had an article about people in Manhattan who would have clandestine raw milk parties where people would come to buy raw milk "smuggled in" (b/c, as someone pointed out, it's technically illegal to sell raw milk for consumption) by dairy farmers or intermediaries.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One word: cheese

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
About 6 months or a year ago (as I get older, my sense of relative chronology turns increasingly to ****) the Sunday NY Times Magazine had an article about people in Manhattan who would have clandestine raw milk parties where people would come to buy raw milk "smuggled in" (b/c, as someone pointed out, it's technically illegal to sell raw milk for consumption) by dairy farmers or intermediaries.

There was this kid that I grew up with. He was younger than me...We did our first work together. Worked our way out of the street. Things were good. We made the most of it...in Prohibition, we ran raw unpasteurized milk into Canada. Paid a fortune, your father too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on, he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stopover for GI's on their way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene and the city he invented was Las Vegas

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I just bought milk that is not homoginized or pasturized the other day. I didn't know this existed, nor did I know anything about milk.

This website came from the stand I bought the milk from. Interesting stuff...

The stand has butter along the same lines as the milk and it really makes a difference in flavor when cooking.

Wild Oats sales a raw milk called Sankow's Beaver Brook Farm Raw Milk, made in Lyme Connecticut. Its pretty good though not as good as their Cream Line milk.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
There was this kid that I grew up with. He was younger than me...We did our first work together. Worked our way out of the street. Things were good. We made the most of it...in Prohibition, we ran raw unpasteurized milk into Canada. Paid a fortune, your father too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on, he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stopover for GI's on their way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene and the city he invented was Las Vegas

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

mr_economy

Reaction score

Bollocks to that. Granted a lot of the milk people are drinking contains some nasty stuff, but that's entirely due to the growth hormones, antibiotics, and steroids those corporate farms pump their cows full of. Buy organic milk and there's no harm.

Dairy contains casein protein, which is a Godsend to anyone who doesn't like the idea of their muscles being torn apart at night. When you stop eating protein for a long enough period of time (like the 7-9 hours while you're asleep), your body turns catabolic, meaning it breaks down muscle tissue to get some of the amino acids it needs. Casein is a slow-absorbing protein, and by eating enough of it before bed, protein synthesis outpaces protein breakdown, and your body remains anabolic rather than becoming catabolic. That may not mean much to your average person, but it sure means a lot to anyone trying to put on some muscle.

Most of these "back to nature" food people are simply trying to sell their own products, and to do so they use all sorts of homeopathic 'wisdom' that has not been corroborated by science.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_economy
Bollocks to that. Granted a lot of the milk people are drinking contains some nasty stuff, but that's entirely due to the growth hormones, antibiotics, and steroids those corporate farms pump their cows full of. Buy organic milk and there's no harm.

Reminds me of the old English prejudice against oats. In Dr. Johnson's dictionary, he mockingly defined oats as "grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads