• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milk

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought milk that is not homoginized or pasturized the other day. I didn't know this existed, nor did I know anything about milk. This website came from the stand I bought the milk from. Interesting stuff... The stand has butter along the same lines as the milk and it really makes a difference in flavor when cooking.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get it from the farmers market. It's technically illegal so they get around that by selling you a share in the cow and paying you dividends in milk. However the unpasteurized milk I've gotten lacks the rich, "milky" taste of the organic milk that I buy from the supermarket.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
isn't unpasteurized milk kind of risky?

and if a cow laughs, does milk come out of its nose?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

This chuckling bovine may know
tongue.gif

brands_zoom_vqr2005.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I get it from the farmers market. It's technically illegal so they get around that by selling you a share in the cow and paying you dividends in milk. However the unpasteurized milk I've gotten lacks the rich, "milky" taste of the organic milk that I buy from the supermarket.

thats butterfat or butterfat flavoring they add.

mdk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
This chuckling bovine may know
tongue.gif

brands_zoom_vqr2005.jpg

I never understood how a bull can produce milk to be made into cheese.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what I used to think but apparently it's not true anymore. That's why I posted the website.

Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne's disease suspected of causing Crohn's disease in humans with which most confinement cows are infected.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yes, but if you use modern equipment AND pasteurization, isn't that better than just using modern equipment?

Jon.

Got this from the website posted earlier.

Pasteurization destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. Raw milk sours naturally but pasteurized milk turns putrid; processors must remove slime and pus from pasteurized milk by a process of centrifugal clarification. Inspection of dairy herds for disease is not required for pasteurized milk. Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne's disease suspected of causing Crohn's disease in humans with which most confinement cows are infected. Much commercial milk is now ultra-pasteurized to get rid of heat-resistant bacteria and give it a longer shelf life. Ultra-pasteurization is a violent process that takes milk from a chilled temperature to above the boiling point in less than two seconds. Clean raw milk from certified healthy cows is available commercially in several states and may be bought directly from the farm in many more. (Sources are listed on www.realmilk.com.)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thats butterfat or butterfat flavoring they add.
Really? Do you have a reference?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdk

Cows have horns, they just remove them because sometimes they hurt other cows or their children with them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Really? Do you have a reference?

not really. but i am involved in a little firm that produces soymilk. as i understand it, we can produce soymilk that tastes exactly like cow's milk, all we need are butterfat, some flavorings and a little corn oil.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdk

notice the extraordinarily wide smile from that satisfied bull.
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads