1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

messenger bags

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgod93, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

2. celery

celery Well-Known Member

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

4. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

i've checked them already. i dont really like their bags that much. they seem kind of clunky

5. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Well-Known Member

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Anything but (unless you're like me and can fill a 258 to overflowing). For what you seem to be looking for, I'd consider going to take an in person look if you haven't already. A personal look will also show off the quality with which they're made. I was unsure they would meet my needs and wants until I took my then bag in and played around. If you still don't/didn't like them after getting your hands on them, that's one thing. But if you haven't, looking at the specs of what you're after, I'd really recommend giving the 257 a hands on look.

However, if what you care about is just messenger style bags, you may also want to try saddleback leather.

7. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

im just a college student looking for a light-weight messenger bag. something with similar styling to the jcrew one. i dont really like the nylon messenger bags. something that isn't formal and kind of has that "raggedy" look.

also, unfortunately im currently not in a place with a lot of the higher end stores

a lot like filsons

8. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

frostriver.com is a another site you can check out for the rugged bag look.

9. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

ugh... i really like how the straps are made of leather but their messenger bags don't have any color selections aside from that dark forest green >_>...

10. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

11. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

12. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, personally they aren't my style. I just knew them as a rugged looking bag maker that wouldn't cost you a fortune. I'll try to think of some others.

13. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

thanks for the help. I'm a little new to the "bag game".

14. codhead

codhead Well-Known Member

Why not find a little old lady who has a penchant for sewing bags? Anyone who has worked in saddlery would have the expertise and equipment.

There's a guy in London who custom makes laptop bags from things like old Harris tweed sports coats etc. He ain't cheap but you can gurantee that each bag he produces will be unique

15. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Well-Known Member

along that same line of thinking I have been amazed to see what people on Itsy will custom make things like this for as well.

16. casemaker

casemaker Well-Known Member

Hi, I am just refining the pattern on a new casual Satchel / shoulder bag, these are made from Sedgwicks Bridle panel hide, with Bridle Butt Strappin, One pocket on the front, lined with a cotton duck, with a zip pocket in the back, and a patch pocket for a phone on the front lining. This size 12" wide x 11" tall x 6" deep.I do intend to design a larger version about 15" wide next.Sorry about the poor photo's. These will go out at £375 ish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. codhead

codhead Well-Known Member

The company I mentioned previously is: Suitcase London

Here's the bag my friend bought:

[​IMG]

18. markdudley

markdudley Member

I was in a similar situation some year ago. I ended up going leather (Leyden & Sons) but I was seriously considering a canvas bag from Makr. Cool company, cool bags. I like the Farm Messenger in Brown. If not, keep watching J Crew. Their canvas are always changing, and every once in a while they come out with a pretty cool one.