• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Max

Reaction score
Most peacoats won't be slim fit. It's a boxy look by tradition. I suggest getting an old world war two one and having the waist taken in.

this_is_james

Reaction score
i just saw the purple label one in person and it's gorgeous with really nice soft fabric.

is it possible to also tailor the armhole(higher armhole) and sleeves(to make it slimmer not shorter) on a peacoat?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
is it possible to also tailor the armhole(higher armhole) and sleeves(to make it slimmer not shorter) on a peacoat?
Based on discussions of suit alterations in MC, I'd say the armholes are a no-go. The sleeves can be tapered, but it's probably not worth it on anything but the Purple Label (which already looks slimish). I'd suggest you guys post a query in MC about bespoke peacoats?!

this_is_james

Reaction score
ok i'll also make a post about this in the MC section.

god, why can't they just cut the RL one the same as the purple label? 10% cashmere and the cutting justifies a $1600 price difference?

pg34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Based on discussions of suit alterations in MC, I'd say the armholes are a no-go. The sleeves can be tapered, but it's probably not worth it on anything but the Purple Label (which already looks slimish). I'd suggest you guys post a query in MC about bespoke peacoats?!
I've had armholes taken in, and I think they did a good job. They can't do it it too much though.
DSC03585510.jpg
Sorry, I don't have a pre-tailoring photo, but suffice to say that the armholes were huge because it's a military surplus coat.

Max

Reaction score
Save yourself $1600. Get bigger arms.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The old ones didn't have huge armholes. I don't know about the new ones, the Schott, Sterlingwear, etc.

this_is_james

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The old ones didn't have huge armholes. I don't know about the new ones, the Schott, Sterlingwear, etc.

what old ones?

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
what old ones?
most likely he's refering to older militiary issue/spec ones.

Which do have rather small arms. My grandfathers old WWII era peacoat that is too big on me in the chest/body but the arms are ridiculously tight in the upper arm, and my arms are really not that big.

pg34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Maybe the armholes weren't that big. Here's a before picture from eBay, but it's kind of hard to tell.

97_1.JPG

DMcG

Reaction score
So I recently tried on some Schott peacoats and found that the sleeves on the regular length peacoat are too short for me. They make longer lengths but only in navy and I wanted to get an oxford grey one. However Sterlingwear has oxford grey available in all lengths. Does anyone know if how Sterlingwear and Schott compare in terms of size? Should I just order a Sterlingwear in the same size as the Schott that fit me?

Thanks

DMcG

Reaction score
I typically wear a 36 or 37 sleeve length dress shirt.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sterlingwear is better anyway.

Plus they are the real deal -- they sell to the US military.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads