• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
any tailor can do the job. its like a heavy overcoat . start at the armhole go right down the side. just shape a"little" at the waist or you are changeing the pea coat styleing.

modual

Reaction score
I spent the day tyring on various peacoats and ended up buying one from H+m. It fits almoest perfectly aside from the shoulder seam falling about 0.5" off my shoulder. This of course results in the arm being slightly too long. My question is it possible for the shoulders to be altered so that that the shoulder seam is moved up on to the shoulder ? Is this tricky or can a decent tailor sort this out ?

Max

Reaction score
shoulders and armholes are really difficult to tailor.

modual

Reaction score
I guess it will probably be easier if i just get the cuffs shortened on the sleeves. Looking at the shoulders i suppose they are fine and for the price i paid i cant expect the jacket to fit 100% perfect fit.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just get the sleeve shortened.

Bungee Man

Reaction score
I think I have seen those pea coats at H & M. They look pretty nice. You should post pics.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
are they $139 like the ad says?

£70 in the uk so yeah thats about right. Of all the peacoats i've tried on recently this is by far the best fit. I really dont like the classic "boxy" military issues. H+m have taken something classic and given it a more modern fitted look.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
are they $139 like the ad says?

They have one that hits at the waist and another one that hits at the thigh. The shorter one is $80 and the longer one is $139.

I actually did not think much of either the peacoat or the duffle from H&M.

rainmaker

Reaction score
HMman_autumn2006_5_normal.jpg

As I've seen and heard here on styleforum, this H&M peacoat seems to be pretty sweet and around what I'm looking for. I've heard rumblings of a longer, mid-thigh version, anyone have any leads? And does anyone know the sizing of these coats? And any comments regarding their quality and/or warmth?

I'd be much in debt, especially if you could point me towards a place to buy this jacket (there's no H&M nearby), given the comments you guys have are positive.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
Maybe give it a wash? It'll shrink all over and perhaps bring in the shoulders a little.
This isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it's very difficult to control knowing as little as you do about what kind of materials H&M used. A tailor can bring in the body a little at the seams (as opposed to darts) and narrow the armholes and/or bring in the shoulders as a result, but this is not far from recutting the jacket. It's complicated and usually rather expensive. Still, post some pictures and consider taking it to a good tailor and just getting some advice.

high_contrast

Reaction score
When I saw this coat and its price, I went to H&M to try it on.

It didn't fit as well as people online said (kind of boxy in my opinion) and the material was very itchy. The quality was also very mediocre but I guess it's proportionate to the price. I also didn't like the random detailing on the back. I ended up spending more than twice the price of the H&M peacoat on a W+H peacoat.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another cheap option I just saw is Target's peacoat which is available in 2-6 weeks

$80

B000GULSBY.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V40262669_.jpg

Bungee Man

Reaction score
Hmmm, looks like I'll have to try that Target pea coat on for fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads