• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Either way it implies that the sole stitching and possibly the welt stitching too, has not been done correctly. It simply should not be possible for a gap to appear between the sole and welt of a welted shoe. I'd send them back.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either way it implies that the sole stitching and possibly the welt stitching too, has not been done correctly. It simply should not be possible for a gap to appear between the sole and welt of a welted shoe. I'd send them back.

I disagree. Were the gap to continue to widen and the stitching loosen, there would be significant issue, but this looks more like the adhesive used to bond the sole to the welt failing, which is less important. The splits which most people posted in here were very minor, and while it would be nice if they didn't happen, I wouldn't have lost any faith in the shoes construction. Remember, you've got a constant stream of impacts pushing the sole and the welt together each time to step, it isn't going to be an environment which stresses the stitching to any great degree.

All that said, I'm happy to defer and be corrected by someone like DWII if they'd be willing to weigh in.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. Were the gap to continue to widen and the stitching loosen, there would be significant issue, but this looks more like the adhesive used to bond the sole to the welt failing, which is less important. The splits which most people posted in here were very minor, and while it would be nice if they didn't happen, I wouldn't have lost any faith in the shoes construction. Remember, you've got a constant stream of impacts pushing the sole and the welt together each time to step, it isn't going to be an environment which stresses the stitching to any great degree. 

All that said, I'm happy to defer and be corrected by someone like DWII if they'd be willing to weigh in. 

This is my understanding as well. I had the same issue with a pair of Allen Edmonds and both AE and a separate cobbler told me it was just an adhesive issue that did not affect the integrity of the sole.

Aieyric

Reaction score

Anyone had a MTO Jodhpurs with success? Pepe taking forever to follow up as they seem to be swamped with orders atm

I have a pair, it took the "normal" amount of time to get them.

Ankor

Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here.
drool.gif

More new suede shoes on their website! I love their new suede models.
It's a pity they are not LM though.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a pair, it took the "normal" amount of time to get them.

Thanks, perhaps I should send a follow up as I have no response back yet. Care to share what last / photos your MTO? Do you like it?

TrackerB

Reaction score
Update: Luisa offered to have them resoled if I send them back. I'm surprised they replied on a weekend.
Do you guys think I should just have them fixed at a local cobbler with cement glue or ship them back for resoling?
Usually, should I bear the shipping charges?

Thanks for your help guys!

Ian L

Reaction score
That's nice...
Then why they havnt replied my email for 2 weeks…

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the thing, that isn't related to the way the shoe is welted. It's how the welt is stitched to the sole of the shoe. While they may have split, the stitching won't let the sole come off completely. The gap may widen, but the sole shouldn't separate any further than the stitching will allow. In theory at least.

Tracker, I'd ask a local cobbler how serious it is and how easy a fix but from Meermin you're at least looking at a nice discount off your Mto. (If its not serious enough to merit a return) Fwiw my LMs show no sign of this either

Either way it implies that the sole stitching and possibly the welt stitching too, has not been done correctly.  It simply should not be possible for a gap to appear between the sole and welt of a welted shoe.  I'd send them back.  

Update: Luisa offered to have them resoled if I send them back. I'm surprised they replied on a weekend.
Do you guys think I should just have them fixed at a local cobbler with cement glue or ship them back for resoling?
Usually, should I bear the shipping charges?

Thanks for your help guys!

Ah this is ridiculous, really tempted to email meermin about this as they said sole was fine and would pay a little for repairs or something. My soles split a little more after I emailed then but it's still wearable (classic collection). Just seems quite random how they deal with issues as others got an offer for a new pair during sole split as well and I didn't get anything. Granted $200 isn't asking for a lot of service but it's just rubs me the wrong way with how they deal with different customers

TrackerB

Reaction score
Luisa told me that the shoes are still fine for wearing as the soles are sewn. I guess technically, the soles won't come off as its being "tied" together by the thread. Right now, the gap can be widen and I can see the inner stiching of the thread that binds the layers. Even if the soles won't come off, this gap bothers the hell out of me. I've bought shoes from Herring and Loakes before and I never had these issues. I paid a higher premium for the linea mastro range and expected better quality. Nevertheless, the service should be the same.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Meermin's are great value for money and would continue to order from them. I got alittle crazy and have another 4 pairs (+1 pair for a friend) of shoes in the making with them. I pray that this sole splitting will be a one off thing and the rest will be fine.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, perhaps I should send a follow up as I have no response back yet. Care to share what last / photos your MTO? Do you like it?

That's nice...
Then why they havnt replied my email for 2 weeks…

When I was e-mailing them frequently, there were a few instances where I got no response for a week. Sometimes it was Pepe traveling, but more than once he said the e-mail got diverted by their spam filter. My advice is that, if a week has passed, e-mail them again.

AN1213

Reaction score
I've been trying to talk to this person at [email protected] for a couple of days on the subject of making an exchange. The model I ordered is not made by them anymore so I'll have to change into another model, but that's not a problem. The problem however is that it seems to be completely impossible to communicate with this person. She keeps pointing me at the return policy found at the homepage, with my pointing out that the policy says to contact her when making an exchange.

How have you been doing when making an exchange for another model?

Ian L

Reaction score

When I was e-mailing them frequently, there were a few instances where I got no response for a week.  Sometimes it was Pepe traveling, but more than once he said the e-mail got diverted by their spam filter.  My advice is that, if a week has passed, e-mail them again.

Thanks for your advice sir! However that was exactly what I did… 3 emails sent from 2 different address, even pleased Luisa to forward to Pepe, still no luck… sigh…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads