• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin Double Monk Strap Shoe Repair?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with my recently purchased pair of suede double monk strap shoes from Meermin (these ones). The part of the shoe to which the buckles are attached is too short, thus resulting in them being exposed as I am walking. I have tried to manually keep it hidden while walking, but to no avail. The photo attached to this thread illustrates the problem.

My question is: what can I do about it? I have contacted them, but they have not replied as of yet. I have taken it to a cobbler and he suggested that I just contact meermin and send it back, but do you think that this is an inherent design flaw in the shoe itself? Is there anywhere I can go (I'm currently in London) where this can be fixed, maybe by adding an extra bit of suede to elongate that area of the shoe? What do you guys suggest?

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Meermin have refused to acknowledge that there is a problem with the shoes, so I'm bringing them to a cobbler who has claimed that he can stitch it so that it remains tucked inside. I asked him whether it would therefore be impossible for me to put my shoes on, but he reassured me that it would be fine. I'm disappointed that Meermin didn't refund me, but to be honest I'm not surprised.

Attachments

• Double Monk Suede.jpg
    Double Monk Suede.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Wow that's the worst I've seen so far. Do you have an unusually high instep? It might also be that it has been cut incorrectly I guess.
I doubt you will be able to do anything about that without reconstructing the shoe. Maybe you can find a cobbler that would be willing to exchange the tongue for a longer one but getting a colour match would be challenging to say the least.

I would definately return it to Meermin.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Wow that's the worst I've seen so far. Do you have an unusually high instep? It might also be that it has been cut incorrectly I guess.
I doubt you will be able to do anything about that without reconstructing the shoe. Maybe you can find a cobbler that would be willing to exchange the tongue for a longer one but getting a colour match would be challenging to say the least.

I would definately return it to Meermin.

Thank you for the swift reply! My instep is definitely higher than average, but the cobbler took one look at the shoe and immediately stated that "yeah, I can see the problem, it's quite poorly designed". I have just sent an email to Meermin asking them for advice, but I am 99% sure that the right move is going to be to send it back to them and request a new pair in that size. I'll let you and everyone else know how that correspondence proceeds.

Edit: Check the original post 'UPDATE' section.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads