• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Falgrim

Reaction score
Only want some basics for this fall: a (light) grey v-neck sweater and a light blue shirt.

Any thoughts for the fit of Johnstons of Elgin sweaters?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really sure if I'll be buying anything this fall, but the next things on my list are:

dark grey worsted suit, hopefully bespoke but I'm open to finding a great OTR version
tan suede ankle boots - possibly crepe soled in the desert boot style (loake camden) but also thinking about ordering something from Meermin on a leather sole.
dark brown 'dress' chukkas. my ideal version is Vass on the F last.

My wardrobe is otherwise pretty complete. I actually need to cull some things for the donation box.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did just get one thing already though, arrived today. mid to light gray flannel trou. a long needed addition to my wardrobe.

they are more for fall, but ill start wearing them as soon at they are hemed.

which leads me to another question. how many of ya'll truly dress seasonally. obviously almost no one wears a thick cashmere sweater in summer, or linen pants and a short sleeved shirt in winter, but how many here really stick to only officially seasonally appropriate items, be it in texture, color, fabric, or tradition?

it is something i would like to do, but at present my wardrobe isnt extensive enough not to have most items crossover to 4 season wear.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I stick to poplin, linen, canvas and tropical wool/fresco trou in the spring/summer months. I also have a pair of linen/denim blend jeans that I wear when it is warm out. Shirts are almost all madras, linen/cotton blend or super light poplin. SCs/suits are all fresco or linen. In Atlanta the summer is not forgiving, so you more or less have to dress appropriately.

In reality I can wear most of the above well into October though, as it doesn't really start to get chilly down here until November-ish.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the navy suedes are noice, if you like trickers in general i think you will like the boots. they come in tons of colors.

Well, TBH, I don't like all models. My suede PTB's are great of course :), but I also see a lot that I don't like...

Only want some basics for this fall: a (light) grey v-neck sweater and a light blue shirt.
Any thoughts for the fit of Johnstons of Elgin sweaters?

I bought two Johnstons' V-necks (merino) last year. If you get the right size, the fit is fine, but the armholes are quite wide compared to the Italian sweaters I have.

I just got these, which I really like:

nCFHT.jpg

q16v2.jpg

uFLFS.jpg

Can't say much about them yet, other than that the fit, the colours, and the texture are great. They look like shetland sweaters, but they're actually brushed merino, which doesn't "sting". Since it's not sweater weather over here yet, I can't say anything about pilling or general quality yet.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

i did just get one thing already though, arrived today. mid to light gray flannel trou. a long needed addition to my wardrobe.
which leads me to another question. how many of ya'll truly dress seasonally. obviously almost no one wears a thick cashmere sweater in summer, or linen pants and a short sleeved shirt in winter, but how many here really stick to only officially seasonally appropriate items, be it in texture, color, fabric, or tradition?
it is something i would like to do, but at present my wardrobe isnt extensive enough not to have most items crossover to 4 season wear.

I feel sad leaving out certain items for months at a time. Eventually i break down and wear a linen madras shirt in february, and continue to wear suede mocs if it's not snowing out. I wear my brogue boots in the summer. I can't wear wool coats in the summer, but the thing is I find it weird to say, I cant wear my liberty ties in the winter because they're too cheery or pastel. Why should or wardrobes also suffer seasonal affect disorder? I have a rust orange paul stuart tie made of irish linen, and if i could only wear it march-sept, id be pretty depressed because it's one of my favorite pieces.

Dewi

Reaction score

I stick to poplin, linen, canvas and tropical wool/fresco trou in the spring/summer months. I also have a pair of linen/denim blend jeans that I wear when it is warm out. Shirts are almost all madras, linen/cotton blend or super light poplin. SCs/suits are all fresco or linen. In Atlanta the summer is not forgiving, so you more or less have to dress appropriately.
In reality I can wear most of the above well into October though, as it doesn't really start to get chilly down here until November-ish.

I could've sworn we lived in the same city. No way on Earth it's chilly down here in November. January or February maybe, but November is finally getting into "comfortable" weather for me. I'm planning on that navy fresco still, to be my staple navy suit, and I'll be comfortable in that probably all year down here.

EDIT: Good Lord. How do I English?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Haha "chilly" being a very relative/subjective term. I can usually start wearing light cashmere in November, so I think that was what I was getting at. But yes, actually cold weather doesn't show until much later.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
baltimore weather is disgusting and highly inconsistent. i guess that also plays into my lack of seasonality in my mode of dress.

like NM above, there are certain items that because of color or tone are technically suited for a certain season, but i would hate to decommission them for months at a time.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what's on people's wish list for fall?

Not 100% sure I'll order them, but in terms of wish list:

1) Tweed (or similar/textured fabric) suit in a subdued dark colour. Intended to replace this RLPL that's a bit big on me these days, so probably something not dissimilar in colour/design.
2) Tweed (or perhaps flannel) jacket in a charcoal (or rather, off-charcoal) grey, probably with some kind of windowpane (I'm thinking a fairly thick but fuzzy ochre or orange at this stage, but possibly blue, depending on what's available). Will replace (or maybe not, if much darker) this donegal grey jacket
3) Much more unlikely to order this year (more likely to wait until next year): grey flannel chalkstripe DB

I'd love it if anyone has any fabric recommendations for these, especially the first two. I know the usual suspects to browse through, but any more specific recs would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I generally do have a seasonal rotation, but I'm not working July and August, so most of my tailored stuff is closeted all summer. Late April to mid-October my linen/seersucker/springy stuff gets worn, but the tweeds, flannels and calvaries come out in full force come mid-October. I wear my suede until it snows really, and will wear my boots Sept to May. The wife and I are contemplating a move to Southern Va pending employment ops, and I think aside from the food, I'd miss wearing my fall/winter stuff the most.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think that is something i would like to achieve. for example, i dont even have any tweed, and until now no flannel.

i hope the job op works out NYR.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I do but more out of necessity than anything. We have four distinct seasons that begin and end very abruptly. The first week of September feels and begins to really look like fall, so that means chilly mornings and evenings. Spring hits like a ton of bricks in late April/early May and we don't get to reliable summer weather until mid-June. I try to make my clothes do double-duty, but I normally don't have a lot of carry-over as far as fabrics go.

I just got these, which I really like:
nCFHT.jpg

q16v2.jpg

uFLFS.jpg
Can't say much about them yet, other than that the fit, the colours, and the texture are great. They look like shetland sweaters, but they're actually brushed merino, which doesn't "sting". Since it's not sweater weather over here yet, I can't say anything about pilling or general quality yet.

I saw that sweater when you first posted it and it really looks like it fits well. I'm googling them right now. Most of my more fitted Italian sweaters look better on me but I feel more restricted in them. I suppose it's a trade-off.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the dress was in 'quotes' because I realize there is no such thing, technically speaking. I just meant a dressier version than the ones I have, which are suede on vibram soles and scotch grain on danite. I want a sleek, dark brown calf version on a leather sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads