• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magna/summa *** laude on resume

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At my (decidedly non-ivy) undergrad, the degree of honors you received was based on the quality of your honors thesis, not of your overall GPA. Highest honors, then, signified that you chose to write a thesis and that it was very strong.

If your school granted you with an honors designation, I would explicitly note it on your resume--it may not be as intuitive for whoever is reading your resume.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as far as I know, we don't use those funny words

general honors are at 3.25 though... lets hear it for schools that didn't let grade inflation hit hard!

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow 3.5 is *** laude? I'm pretty sure my school started above 3.7, summa was above 3.9. Don't think it matters a ton personally.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Conne is very proud of all the *** he gets.

Kohan

Reaction score
If you end up writing an honors thesis, it'd be a disservice to yourself not to list your honors qualifications on your CV. If it's GPA honors alone, I say put it or don't, but at least have the GPA.

I wouldn't put it in size 24 at the top of the page like "CONNE GOT H0N0RZ B1TCHES!" but it's still worth mentioning---especially if you do submit a thesis, because then it draws attention to something remarkable that you chose to do and pulled off successfully. I'm told employers like that.

on that note, dammit I want my grades!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you should really do is try to changge this wasp image you are trying to cultivate. Even the waspiest of institutions have realized by now that wasp kids are a bunch of lazy twits raised with a huge sense of entitlement. That's why they hire us ethnic folks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd be careful where you use it and based on what degree you obtain. I mean, if it's an engineering degree, from a good school, I'd drop "with honors" or "*** laude" on my resume. If it's a poly sci or English degree, from an average school, I'd be embarrassed to drop anything but summa on my resume, as I'd not want to draw attention to the fact ******** up such an easy undergrad.

StolenCar

Reaction score
I've just screened 245 applications (professional government job). I don't care where they went to university or what degree they received. I just wanted to know if they read the job advertisement properly and were to able to respond in coherent sentences to its requirements in their cover letters and resumes. I've encountered lots of stupid people who managed to get themselves "good" degrees. That first impression fades quickly.

athletics

Reaction score
My college was *** laude at 3.15, magna at 3.3, and summa at 3.5 I believe, not that I sniffed any of them.

Our Dean's List was 3.0. Not the best college for a GPA boost...

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Wow 3.5 is *** laude? I'm pretty sure my school started above 3.7, summa was above 3.9. Don't think it matters a ton personally.

It depends on the school. The more a school inflates the grades, or the ease of courses, the higher the GPAs have to be. There would be no sense in having an honors designation if 90% of the people received it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StolenCar
I've just screened 245 applications (professional government job). I don't care where they went to university or what degree they received. I just wanted to know if they read the job advertisement properly and were to able to respond in coherent sentences to its requirements in their cover letters and resumes. I've encountered lots of stupid people who managed to get themselves "good" degrees. That first impression fades quickly.

Wow. 245 apps for a professional government job? Shows times are tough.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StolenCar

If this is fed govt, then the application process is waaaay harder than anything I did at college.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
It depends on the school. The more a school inflates the grades, or the ease of courses, the higher the GPAs have to be. There would be no sense in having an honors designation if 90% of the people received it.

True. But I definitely wouldn't say the school I went to was easy, there were just a lot of people who worked their asses off. IIRC it was top 25%, top 10%, top 5% for ***, magna, summa.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this something people generally do? I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.
I wish. At my school it was 3.7 for *** laude, 3.7 + thesis for magna, and 3.8 with thesis that was also recommended for high honors by a body of teachers for summa. Only GPA is easy ****

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads