• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac OS X Lion: what think ye?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
What kind of Mac are you using? My sister has a new 11" MBA, and says that both start-up and restart from sleep is lightning fast.

I have a new 13" MBA

its not start-up or restart, it's actual system performance that is lagging after restarts from sleep. Also full screen video becomes choppy. Seems to be a common problem (so I'm reading)

video seems to be an issue for older models. though waking up is nearly instantaneous

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an old 13" plastic Macbook and have had a lot of performance issues since I upgraded. I honestly wish I had stuck with Snow Leopard. Things lock up and overall performance is down. Even web browsing shows some lag on occasion.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard right when it came out and had no issues. I'm surprised Apple let this get by.

I have two gigs of RAM btw.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^ maybe there will be an update coming out that will align things....

i have also stopped using certain processes, preview is way to slow and i don't like how the windows open and a bunch of stuff, also safari is tortoise slow so i switched to chrome :-(

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I have an old 13" plastic Macbook and have had a lot of performance issues since I upgraded. I honestly wish I had stuck with Snow Leopard. Things lock up and overall performance is down. Even web browsing shows some lag on occasion.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard right when it came out and had no issues. I'm surprised Apple let this get by.

I have two gigs of RAM btw.

was an issue for me as well, and on 4gb. though 10.7.1 seems to have helped a little :eek:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think most of all, I have realized how little the changes made to the OS mean to me. I was happy with SL and nothing new has me that excited. It was only $30 and otherwise I might not have made the upgrade.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firefox 6.0 is BLAZING fast on Lion. so is chrome (I don't know which version I have). I usually use Safari exclusively but the lag is sometimes unbelievable. Finder's lag is quite annoying as well.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Firefox 6.0 is BLAZING fast on Lion. so is chrome (I don't know which version I have). I usually use Safari exclusively but the lag is sometimes unbelievable. Finder's lag is quite annoying as well.

Chrome automatically updates itself, so you always have the latest version.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out when I tried to find out what version I have. It is a bit annoying that the Lion gestures aren't supported by Chrome yet, but I'll take the stability of it over Safari any day.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just can't go back to having a separate search field after using Chrome. Having a single bar to input information just feels right.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just updated to Lion. Can someone explain to me how to get the Magic Mouse to stop sliding the dashboard onto the screen?

Also, what do you do with Launchpad and Mission Control? No idea there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads