• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac OS X Lion: what think ye?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I liked it at the Apple store. Bought a 15" MBP on Saturday to replace my 2008 MB that had been dropped too many times. Computers puchased after 7/21 are eligible for a free lion dl, but the system is a PIA. Thinking about waiting for the Office 2011 compatability issues to be resolved first.

What don't you like about Lion?

billionaireboy

Reaction score
I love the increased speed of Safari and just the overall smoothness and seamlessness of the interface. However, does anyone else notice that the unread mail counter on Mail 5.0 is a bit slow in updating?

billionaireboy

Reaction score
I have a late 2007 MBP. Would that make a difference? When I was using snow leopard, the counter was extremely fast. In addition, It showed when I had new mail in my inbox (i have my mail linked up to my university email server). Now, for it to display a counter at all, I have to click "show all unread"

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I updated to OS X Lion when I got up Wednesday afternoon (worked very late the night before). I like it a lot, but I mainly just surf, pay bills, shop/stream movies (love Amazon Prime!) and email online. I can't answer to things that might show up for people with more sophisticated computer needs.

You can change the scrolling if you want to; I did as it was driving me crazy! Just open up "System Preferences", click "Mouse" then unclick "Scroll direction; natural" under Point & Click tab. You can also change other gesture settings to your liking.

I love the new lion os, the launch pad, mission control and the going back a page is just awesome. i have the magic mouse and use an iMac and it is just fantastic!!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a late 2007 MBP. Would that make a difference? When I was using snow leopard, the counter was extremely fast. In addition, It showed when I had new mail in my inbox (i have my mail linked up to my university email server). Now, for it to display a counter at all, I have to click "show all unread"

Several reasons:

1) So the rest of the members of the board know how different chipsets / CPU's / graphics cards work with Lion.

2) Knowing your individual Mac's specs may explain why something apps / features don't run as well as they should or at all.

Regarding the counter, have you tried looking at the Mail settings? Also, this might be a glitch with 10.7.0, Apple has already seeded 10.7.2 in Beta form to testers, so you know an update (10.7.1) is coming up soon.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the model / specs of your 08' MBP? It should have multitouch... I don't have a multitouch trackpad, but there are a lot of other features on Lion that are very useful that have nothing to do with multitouch.

It's a MBP 4.1, so apparently it does. But I've never really liked using trackpads on laptops, always preferred to use a mouse.

You can 'clean install' Lion: Also, you can theoretically download Lion via torrents or usenet and avoid the App store download.

If I wanted Lion, I probably would have to do that. I've just tried creating making an Apple ID account. Made the account OK, but when it came to payment information, it's Visa, Mastercard and Amex only, NO UnionPay. I only have UnionPay cards. Can't even do Paypal with the App Store. WTF Apple!! So much for that then.

Apparently (and I have no confirmation yet), Lion is not tied to an individual Apple ID when installing... an Apple ID is only required when downloading from the App store.

I know OS X has never been tied to a particular ID or computer, unlike Windows. I know if it's an Apple Mac computer, it should just install.

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know OS X has never been tied to a particular ID or computer, unlike Windows. I know if it's an Apple Mac computer, it should just install.

There were rumors that since it was an App store download, it somehow lodged your Apple ID onto the .dmg, but so far what I have read is that Lion is not connected to the Apple ID that downloaded it.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There were rumors that since it was an App store download, it somehow lodged your Apple ID onto the .dmg, but so far what I have read is that Lion is not connected to the Apple ID that downloaded it.

I'm still rather puzzle by why Apple doesn't have UnionPay for the App Store, western credit cards only. Apple does operate in China, they have Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai, and they do a Chinese version of the App Store and iTunes Store. In China most people including myself, only have UnionPay cards. However my MBP was originally purchased in the UK, and is set to English language.

BTW most software I actually use is free or open source, Chrome, GIMP, VLC, Google Earth, VirtualBox(for running Windows), Pidgin, QQ, Skype, .. the only Apple software I use regularly is iTunes(for downloading podcasts) and iPhoto.

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm still rather puzzle by why Apple doesn't have UnionPay for the App Store, western credit cards only. Apple does operate in China, they have Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai, and they do a Chinese version of the App Store and iTunes Store. In China most people including myself, only have UnionPay cards. However my MBP was originally purchased in the UK, and is set to English language.

I have no idea. Perhaps you should send Apple an email? Can you purchase iTunes gift cards where you are located?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no idea. Perhaps you should send Apple an email? Can you purchase iTunes gift cards where you are located?

Maybe in Beijing, but certainly not here in Xilinhot. AFAIK Apple has no presence at all in Inner Mongolia. I'm sure my MBP is the only Apple computer in the whole city. OS X doesn't even support Mongolian *, the main language here. Unless it's been added into Lion? When my MBP started overheating a few months ago, I had to fix it myself, no Geniuses here. ;)

* Only Mongolian Cyrillic not Mongolian Script. Mongolian Cyrillic is not used in Inner Mongolia.

Mongolian Script:

I'm learning this.

EDIT

OS X is supposed to support Mongolian script, but it's broken.

IE9 Windows 7

Safari OS X Snow Leopard

I'm going to contact Apple about this.

Does it show correctly with OS X Lion? That is vertically top to bottom?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script
http://mongol.people.com.cn/

Last edited:

ijesse

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the first revision. These things always tend to have plenty of trouble, and my Macbook Pro is too important to my productivity to lose.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got a new MBA and been installing stuff including bootcamp/ win 7. So far so good. Not that much different in normal usage to snow leopard; I clicked off 'natural scrolling' immediately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads