• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxury Pen Brand Design

timothylarson

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on creating a luxury brand.

For years I have done woodworking as a hobby and have recently gotten into creating high end pens using exotic woods along with premium hardware.

Here is a pen I created last week using a Redwood Burl with hardware plated in Rhodium and Black Titanium which makes it extremely corrosion and wear resistant.

I am at the point where I would like to launch a pen brand which would sell the luxury pens I handmake one at a time.

To do this, I want to get the brand right.

The brand name I have come up with is Sabre Pens, and I am currently working with a designer on a logo.

This is where I need some help.

Here are three designs with my thoughts about each. Let me know what you think:

I like the idea of the hand holding the pen as a sabre but does it work?

The first design is an S for Sabre with the pen beneath... Is it too generic?

The second design makes me think of slaying a dragon... It has a certain flare I like, but is it too abstract or busy?

The third design is the cleanest, however, is this design too cartoonish for a luxury brand?

Let me know which logo, if any, you like the best and why.

Is there a clear winner, or should I go back to the drawing board?

Thank you for any advice you my have.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the simplest one, the third. The flare one I like the least.

If the pens are meant to be luxury, then the generic nibs don't help to project this image. They look like pens from China.

timothylarson

Reaction score
Quote: Quote:
Which is another reason I question using the third design, using the nib (even being held like a sword or sabre) could be seen as very generic.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on your intended demographic - Krone, Pelikan, Waterman etc? To me, the logo isn't that important. I'd much rather see how the pen performs and looks - and as I said before, a generic nib makes it look like a Chinese pen - some of these look quite nice, but are let down by the generic nib. If you are truly going 'lux' then you need your own nib design.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, good luck with your enterprise.

Second, I agree that you should not overthink your logo. Go with the one you like and make it yours.

Third, you're doing luxury goods. As a startup without millions behind you, focus on the customer experience and let the brand grow that way.

Fourth, if you start to find some success, focus on PR and not as much on ads. The ROI is far larger with PR.

I don't know how many pics you can post and stay within the selling rules, but would love to see more of your work as you get going.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I'm curious, you say you are into woodworking and yet you want to make pens where the business end of the item isnt within your area? Presumably you are buying a generic core/fundamental and just adding the wooden barrel?

To be honest, I am not a great fan of any of them. I wouldnt want or need to see a graphic of a pen in a pen company brand, particularly one with "pen" in the name. Out of the three options I'd go with number 1 minus the pen image but I'm not convinced that the hard geometrics fits well with a brand thats USP is around an organic material like wood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads