• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low testosterone?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My level was 211....thing is, I'm only 20. Doc is wanting me to get on TRT but I REALLY don't want to do that at this early of an age.

Went in because of recent weight loss...inability to gain muscle...lethargy, etc. Been an athlete all my life and was hovering around 190 at 5'11, but then the past couple months everything went downhill.

Anybody else ever tested low? What was your solution, what happened?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been curious about this myself. I was an overweight teen and remember my doc having me take some meds for several months to boost my testosterone levels.

That was more than a decade ago, but I've wondered if my T-levels are low for various reasons (lethargy, sex drive mostly). I don't have health insurance, though, and I'm not sure how expensive getting the necessary blood work would be (not cheap would be my guess).

I'm somewhat ignorant to remedying the problem with meds, but would something like Alpha Male help the problem?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Altering your diet can help boost testosterone by adding some foods and avoiding others.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would TRT not mean you were unable to have children certainly for all the time using it? Would long term use not cause such suppression that having children while on a break from the TRT would be less than easy too?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no, i was geared up every time my wife got pregnant.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
no, i was geared up every time my wife got pregnant.

Well anecdotally this seems true, all the guys I've known who used gear had children during that period.

An endocronologist friend did say the above difficulties though, when we discussed an article on TRT.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Would TRT not mean you were unable to have children certainly for all the time using it? Would long term use not cause such suppression that having children while on a break from the TRT would be less than easy too?
Yes this is usually true, which is why I'm not sure about what I want to do. To whoever said diet can help...my diet is ridiculously healthy. and 211 is BAD low for a 20 year old. Even if diet were my problem, a small increase is nowhere near enough.

Becks23

Reaction score
Maybe list out what your diet consists of.

The whole "healthy diet" has different connotations for everybody these days.

Somebody who tells me they eat whole grains and low fat is not something I would deem as "healthy".

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total testosterone levels and free testosterone levels are two different things. Some people may have low total testosterone but normal free testosterone because a higher percentage of their serum testosterone is unbound. Bound testosterone cannot act on its usual hormone receptors.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080

To whoever said diet can help...my diet is ridiculously healthy. and 211 is BAD low for a 20 year old. Even if diet were my problem, a small increase is nowhere near enough.

I'm not sure how much it will increase it but more zinc, indole 3 carbinol, b6, magnesium and vitamin A foods might help along with avoiding high phytoestrogen foods.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
Maybe list out what your diet consists of.

The whole "healthy diet" has different connotations for everybody these days.

Somebody who tells me they eat whole grains and low fat is not something I would deem as "healthy".

From what I remember, Dmash is a pretty ripped/built dude who eats legit clean, not "clean" by food industry standards.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Yes this is usually true, which is why I'm not sure about what I want to do.

To whoever said diet can help...my diet is ridiculously healthy. and 211 is BAD low for a 20 year old. Even if diet were my problem, a small increase is nowhere near enough.

Dietary changes will not help you. If you have a reliable cheap way of getting blood work done every few months, try OTC supplementation to see if you see a bump in your t-levels:

- ZMA
- Tongkat Ali

Maybe try these for 2-3 months and check your levels.

When getting bloodwork, try to do two samples a couple weeks apart. These things fluctuate. Your testosterone can fluctuate by more than 100 from morning to night. The amount of water you drink prior to your test will affect your results. For clearest numbers, do two tests each an hour after awakening.

It is important to check your other levels as well. How is your T3, T4, and TSH? How is your prolactin level? Estradiol (usually not on a typical thyroid panel though)?

Good luck. I agree that TRT is not an ideal solution for someone your age. The question is - can you live with the way you are living right now? Do you still have a relatively healthy sex life? Are you constantly lethargic or just not as energetic as before? There are pros and cons to all solutions...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
What about a Tribulus Terrestris supplement?

I have heard some good things about it but have no personal experience with it and can't speak about it intelligently.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I've been curious about this myself. I was an overweight teen and remember my doc having me take some meds for several months to boost my testosterone levels.

That was more than a decade ago, but I've wondered if my T-levels are low for various reasons (lethargy, sex drive mostly). I don't have health insurance, though, and I'm not sure how expensive getting the necessary blood work would be (not cheap would be my guess).

I'm somewhat ignorant to remedying the problem with meds, but would something like Alpha Male help the problem?

The manner in which you post reeks of low testosterone. I've always thought this.

I'm presuming you starting a course of TRT yields financial incentives for the doctor? What is normal level for someone your age?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads