1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some Suit-Shirt-Tie matching ideas

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VeloTime, Jul 1, 2011.

1. VeloTime

VeloTime Member

Was hoping to get some ideas on a shirt to wear with the suit and tie below. Going to an outdoor wedding this weekend.

Grey/Blueish cotton suit with a faint stripe. Red white and blue tie.

A nice white shirt will work for sure as well as a solid light blue shirt but I was hoping to get some creative ideas from you guys.

Two concerns. The suit has a bit of a blue tone to it in certain lighting so I'm not sure if a blue shirt really is a good choice. Perhaps not enough contrast? I have some shirts with a vertical stripe but again I'm not sure if the stripe in the suit and a striped shirt together is the best idea.

Perhaps a grid or check pattern? Any ideas are appreciated. TIA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Quite a busy suit and tie so the obvious choice would be a plain shirt, a simple white cotton or linen shirt might look good. Pink might also work.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Ya, a plain shirt. White probably. Hard to match such a light suit with anything else.

4. VeloTime

VeloTime Member

Ya, a plain shirt. White probably. Hard to match such a light suit with anything else.

That's what I was thinking. Hard to go wrong with a proper white shirt. Just checking to see if there was some awesome idea that never occurred to me.

Hmm, now for the pocket square...

Vintage blue bandanna? Maybe red? Dots perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Hard to go wrong with a proper white shirt. Just checking to see if there was some awesome idea that never occurred to me.

Hmm, now for the pocket square...

Vintage blue bandanna? Maybe red? Dots perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dots

6. The Upright Man

The Upright Man Well-Known Member

With such a loud tie I'm not sure a polka dot pattern is the wisest choice. Hard to visualise without seeing it all together though.

7. apolishedman

apolishedman Active Member

white shirt, white pocket square would probably look good.

8. Galix

Galix Well-Known Member

I'd go for a plain white pocket square. Striped suit, checked tie, plain shirt... Adding a pocket square with a different pattern is excesive diversity IMO.

9. VeloTime

VeloTime Member

White square was the original choice, and a safe bet that I know will work. I'm going to see if I can find a vintage dot square today and give that a dance. It may work out but will probably be too much. We shall see...

Thanks for the input.

10. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

[​IMG] worn with a white herringbone shirt